Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jan 16, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #8,686 of 18,459

Quote:
Sorry for jumping in the post but may I ask if anyone has compared the cables of LCD2 by Moon Audio and ALO?

Thanks~!

I compared the ALO (V1 probably, I got it used) with an older Black Dragon and I thought the Black Dragon was superior in every way, sound-wise. This was with two otherwise identical re-cabled balanced K701s. They looked almost identical cosmetically with the silver techflex, but the BD had superior dynamics and even a noticeably higher volume level out of the same amp at the same time. Of course this isn't really relevant here, but it proved to me that cables do matter.

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #8,688 of 18,459

Quote:
On the topic of the loose headphone parts: the strangest thing happened. After I installed the aluminum blocks (myself) - that all went smoothly - I noticed the left-side was slipping periodically from where I'd set it, normally at the most inopportune times. Lost in the music and then - thunk. It was annoying. But recently I noticed my LCD2s weren't doing that any more. I set it once a few weeks ago and haven't needed to reset them since. Food for thought.

My bet is that the pin now is lightly bent and therefore now jam up in the block.

My left eye hurt like crazy 3 days after getting knocked in the eye when taking off the LCD-2 with one hand as I'm used to do with the DT-770. The spring in the headband and out of center pin mounting forces the can to spin round with great force and speed when the the headband is tensioned. You can test this by laying down the HP on the table with pads position to each other and then twist one of the cans. At a given angle the tension in the headband will fore the can to spin around.

This is one reason they fall so easily of when leaning forward. By turning the screw in the headband one can lock the pins in one position. But this isn't optimal as necessary flexing now are moved to the headband that have spring tension rather than the loose pin. But way better that loosing ones sight and have them falling off so easily.

Possible easy mod would be to take of the screw on top of the pin. Cut a small bit of plastic or rubber tube and tread over the top part of pin. Length is cut so it fits your favorite position. Before fitting the top screw insert a small plastic or metal piece 15-20mm long with a center hole so when the top screw is mounted the pin will look like like the letter 'T'. This will prevent the cans from swinging all way around but still be able to flex easily without any tension on the headband. This is important for best fit and to prevent ear leak.

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #8,689 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
".........
Check the CanJam measurements... the LCD-2 really do not suck up much juice at all.

Volts in RMS to get 90 dB was .110  say you want 10x to be safe, that would be 1.1 and the NFB-12 does 10 vrms

...."

Let your ears be the judge.

Exactly what I have been thinking and experiencing.

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #8,690 of 18,459
Jan 16, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #8,691 of 18,459
Wow I would have think that there would have been a major difference between these 2 amps.. Also, after having read your comparisons thread, I'm now confused with the result.. I own an Audio-Gd FUN Version A Earth opamp and I was thinking about making my own B22 or M3 to pair with my futur Audeze LCD-2.. thinking there would be a major sonic difference.... now i don't know if I should.. considering the fact that these 3 amps in your analyse don't have a lot of difference with the lcd-2...
basshead.gif

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #8,692 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry for jumping in the post but may I ask if anyone has compared the cables of LCD2 by Moon Audio and ALO?
Thanks~!

Moon audio was lighter than stock, ALO was heavier than stock. Moon audio also had no microphonics IIRC (new stock ones don't either from my experienfce).

That's about it in terms of difference... oh! and price is quite different from stock.

The only reason I would want to upgrade the stock cable would be because of microphonics; so it's good to hear that the new ones aren't microphonic.  

I'm still waiting to hear that my LCD=2s are ready; my pre-order was 12/3/2010.  Should be soon.

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #8,693 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks~!

Moon audio was lighter than stock, ALO was heavier than stock. Moon audio also had no microphonics IIRC (new stock ones don't either from my experienfce).

That's about it in terms of difference... oh! and price is quite different from stock.

The only reason I would want to upgrade the stock cable would be because of microphonics; so it's good to hear that the new ones aren't microphonic.  

I'm still waiting to hear that my LCD=2s are ready; my pre-order was 12/3/2010.  Should be soon.

I would keep the stock and just remove the upper coating or what it´s called in that case. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #8,694 of 18,459

Quote:
Have you adjusted yours optimally?

Nope. Nice deductive logic after reading my simple post.
wink_face.gif
I didn't even know both screws were involved in tightening the LCD2's size. I hope this info gets out to the rest of the forum because between the LCD2's design and your info there is no need for any LCD2 owner to suffer through looseness.

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #8,695 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks~!

I would keep the stock and just remove the upper coating or what it´s called in that case. 

Would it be possible to take the black mesh stuff off and put a heat shrink tubing on the  wires to keep them together better without removing the plugs?  

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #8,698 of 18,459
I find the new covering works fine. I would not like the mesh and while the new cover isn't the most flexible, it works and I don't hear any microphonics.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #8,699 of 18,459

Quote:

IMHO this isn't totality true I'm afraid. If you play music that gets you involved in some slight head nodding and have the wire in one of those cane twist position (some of you with loose pins know what I mean) it sound like someone i tapping on the cans with drumsticks. The cable is that hard and stiff. Way around it is to always have the cable straight or just play boring music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back