Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jan 14, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #8,656 of 18,459

Quote:
I hear a huge difference in dynamics, soundstage, and imaging when I use my HE-6 out of my speaker amp as opposed to my 2w WA22 (both balanced). With the LCD-2, the difference in those areas is much more subtle when I make that switch, in fact hardly noticeable FWIW, YMMV, IMO, etc.

That's a lot of acronyms. 
tongue_smile.gif

In (mostly) all seriousness, 100x doesn't mean 100x better to me by any stretch of the mind.  I'd prefer the LCD-2 out of some portables I've heard than out of some "full size" amps, but as grokit's string of acronyms illustrate, it's completely subjective.

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #8,657 of 18,459

Quote:
Come on people... do the specs say 91 dB at 1 mW or what? say you need 10x that power for "headroom" that still leaves us with .1 of a watt.

The NFB-12 suggested is more than capable of driving the LCD-2

Check the CanJam measurements... the LCD-2 really do not suck up much juice at all.

Volts in RMS to get 90 dB was .110  say you want 10x to be safe, that would be 1.1 and the NFB-12 does 10 vrms

So effectively it has like 100x the power you would need to deafen yourself with the LCD-2

Call me crazy, but I would say that is "enough".

Let your ears be the judge.

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #8,658 of 18,459

Quote:
Is there someone in Head-fi who is good with his/her hands who can make up a sort of an adapter so that an ammeter can be put in the path of the headphone cables in order to measure the actual instantaneous current drawn by the headphone?  I am not an electrical engineer but I thought this is an additional way one can somewhat gauge the scale of the "headroom" by seeing how much more current is drawn in the loud or louder passages.

Peak to average power ratios have long since been characterized.  A vigorously played piano can easily have peaks that are 5x steady state, making it one of the most difficult to properly record and reproduce instruments in the orchestra.  Five orders of magnitude...  Think about it... When just "getting by" isn't quite enough...

[I'm overstating my case to make a point.]

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #8,659 of 18,459
Hi All,

I have now spent some time with my LCD-2's and HD-800's both of which are giving me great joy.
I noticed that the treble on the LCD-2's are not as pronounced as the HD-800's which I believe is almost spot on. But..... I have now replaced the stock LCD-2 cable with the new Whiplash v.2 TWag made by Craig and guess what....! The LCD-2's now are a solid performer. The treble is exactly right and the bass is nice, full and solid.
I'm pleased to say that this is my first headphone comparison on Head-Fi and I hope someone will gain benefit from my findings.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #8,662 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
A few pictures of the LCD-2, with the Norse Audio cable on.
I think the cable looks very nice, with a discrete grey to indicate the right side, black cable, and that wood piece at the split.

Is there a noticeable difference with the norse?

There shouldn't be since it's just a cable. But nevertheless some songs that were previously slightly unamazing, now sounds great. There is Beethoven Symphony 9, by Vänskä, and "my present lover" by Luomo. Both are now very enjoyable. The symphony had a tendency to sound dull, and now sounds lively. "my present lover" easily either gets to warm or too cold, but is now a great mix of both.  But maybe they will sound exactly the same if / when I switch back to the stock cable.... For now, I am just enjoying the full bodied crystal clear, airy, sparkly sound :) I am not really a believer in cables making a difference anyway, so don't listen to me.

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #8,663 of 18,459
I've seen several people discuss wattage needed to power LCD-2 and was curious as to how the Audio-gd C-2 would hold up. With default gain structure and DAC-19 as source with compressed music at 0db peak (do we agree headroom doesn't go beyond this?) it produce load listening volume with the volume control at 9 O'clock. At 10 O'clock my ears hurts. This is very close to my experience with the DT-770-80.
With this setup I think the C-2 (1W into 62 ohm) has more than enough juice to power the LCD-2. At least my ears bleeds long before this amp sound restricted.

Yes, I do understand how a logarithmic pot work and understand pot position doesn't really tell how much power the amp has. So I took the LCD-2 off my head and turned the volume pot further to hear if there was an increase in volume. And there is, - all the way to 3 O'clock where I stopped this exercise.

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #8,664 of 18,459
3 O'clock is Crazy.

Quote:
I've seen several people discuss wattage needed to power LCD-2 and was curious as to how the Audio-gd C-2 would hold up. With default gain structure and DAC-19 as source with compressed music at 0db peak (do we agree headroom doesn't go beyond this?) it produce load listening volume with the volume control at 9 O'clock. At 10 O'clock my ears hurts. This is very close to my experience with the DT-770-80.
With this setup I think the C-2 (1W into 62 ohm) has more than enough juice to power the LCD-2. At least my ears bleeds long before this amp sound restricted.

Yes, I do understand how a logarithmic pot work and understand pot position doesn't really tell how much power the amp has. So I took the LCD-2 off my head and turned the volume pot further to hear if there was an increase in volume. And there is, - all the way to 3 O'clock where I stopped this exercise.

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #8,665 of 18,459

Quote:
There shouldn't be since it's just a cable. But nevertheless some songs that were previously slightly unamazing, now sounds great. There is Beethoven Symphony 9, by Vänskä, and "my present lover" by Luomo. Both are now very enjoyable. The symphony had a tendency to sound dull, and now sounds lively. "my present lover" easily either gets to warm or too cold, but is now a great mix of both.  But maybe they will sound exactly the same if / when I switch back to the stock cable.... For now, I am just enjoying the full bodied crystal clear, airy, sparkly sound :) I am not really a believer in cables making a difference anyway, so don't listen to me.

So you hear a difference with cables but you don't believe in them. Well done.
normal_smile%20.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #8,666 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:

normal_smile%20.gif

The stock cable also is a very good cable. If a cable is not the purest copper or silvber there will be differences and connectors. The only issue people have with the stock is the way they are constructed. Trevor cable is pretty but to be honest I hear no difference over the stock. The Norse cable is also bulky and I believe it may be heavier also. I move around better with the stock. They are bot OCC copper so that is being reflected in what I hear which is no differences. Trevor cable is much better buit that the Audeze but sonically I am not hearing any advantages but it may change. I personally hate cable reviews. I can tell you I hear differences from interconnects easily my diamondback audioquest stomps the Kimber PBJ which is grainy so the copper is not as good.

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #8,667 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

normal_smile%20.gif

The stock cable also is a very good cable. If a cable is not the purest copper or silvber there will be differences and connectors. The only issue people have with the stock is the way they are constructed. Trevor cable is pretty but to be honest I hear no difference over the stock. The Norse cable is also bulky and I believe it may be heavier also. I move around better with the stock. They are bot OCC copper so that is being reflected in what I hear which is no differences. Trevor cable is much better buit that the Audeze but sonically I am not hearing any advantages but it may change. I personally hate cable reviews. I can tell you I hear differences from interconnects easily my diamondback audioquest stomps the Kimber PBJ which is grainy so the copper is not as good.

As I wrote, it might turn out to sound the same when I switch back to the stock cable later, as it does for you.  It wasn't an A/B comparison (I'd like to emphasise that again, since it's kind of important).
Sometimes first impressions last. Sometimes they don't. I thought it could be fun to post what I heard right then / right now anyway. I'll post more in-depth impressions later :)

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #8,668 of 18,459
I'm still waiting for Apuresound V3,hope it does well with the LCD2's treble

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #8,670 of 18,459

Quote:
I hate the stock cable, too bulky and stiff. I decided to go with Silver Dragon instead of Norse Audio because I want to see if the silver call bring out the treble a little more and probably a better match for my tube amp.

We will have one at the mini meet at my house on 1/22 so I will see between stock,Norse and the dragon if I want to buy any of them. I do not mind the stock cable with my tube amps they sound fine as does the Norse which is better built but kind of bulky but really very nice as well. Like I said its tough with headphone cable to really see the difference I. I would say the Dragon will be a different sound because Silver IMO is bright and may be good as reported by people using them but it is expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back