Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jan 1, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #8,177 of 18,459

Quote:
Nice, simple impressions. :)  I agree with most of what you said.  What monitors are you using?  Btw, the Stax SRM-T1W amp has a built in preamp.

Currently Genelec 8020´s in a nearfield setup, soon Genelec 8040 or 8050. Haven´t decided which ones yet... They are pretty cheap here in Finland and I like their honest effortless sound signature where nothing is rolled off. As for the STAX amp, that´s very interesting! In a dream world, I guess my ideal would be the Omega-mk2 with an amp that also has balanced preamp output :)

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #8,180 of 18,459
Quote:
Now that I´ve had a lot of time with my LCD-2, it´s time for some revised impressions. Mr Green is going to love parts of this :p I´ll keep it simple

Welcome to the dark side
very_evil_smiley.gif

I agree on all accounts, particularly in terms of "effort". The LCD-2 comes across as a very heavy sounding headphone, and lacks some of the more graceful sounds (which stax is very good at IMO). It's visceral, but I'm not a huge fan. I also agree with what you said about balanced armatures (sometimes), although they frequently share soundstage characteristics with the LCD-2

PS what n3rdling said
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #8,181 of 18,459
Vrln, check out the Schiit Lyr thread, it has a pre-out and will power the HE-6 for $449.

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #8,183 of 18,459
I think the Shure 530 actually has a better soundstage than the LCD-2... It´s smaller, but it´s very logical. The LCD-2 tries to extend out of the head, but doesn´t make it. It´s in an odd limbo soundstage wise. I´d prefer a straight "in head sound" (IEM) or a speaker-wannabe (HD 800) :)

The Lyr looks awesome. I might get one for my PC rig, but for my main rig I´ll need balanced (it´s mostly for active monitors). One of the Schiit guys said on their thread that a balanced version might come out later. That would be my dream come true! I have serious doubts orthos can pull the soundstage I´m after though. Maybe if the highs would be more apparent the soundstage would sound more complete though?

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #8,184 of 18,459
I found your comments on LCD2 very strange. It might really be a source issue you are experiencing, especially when you are saying se535 has better sound soundstage.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #8,185 of 18,459
As I mentioned, it´s not better in the objective sense, but I just personally dislike the "limbo state" soundstage in the LCD-2. It´s not that bad, but it´s a clear shortcoming after HD 800. Overall because of the non-sibilant sound signature and liquid midrange/neutral bassI still think the LCD-2 are a good headphone.

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #8,186 of 18,459
Gosh, why is LCD2's stock cable canare..

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #8,187 of 18,459

Quote:
Gosh, why is LCD2's stock cable canare..

Why is it a big deal to you?  I'm willing to bet that the stock cable of other cans are of equal, if not lesser quality.  The only difference is that you know what it is.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #8,190 of 18,459

Quote:
I found your comments on LCD2 very strange. It might really be a source issue you are experiencing, especially when you are saying se535 has better sound soundstage.

Seems about right to me :wink: PS I'm pretty sure it's awful reasoning to say that a particular source is going to do something well with one headphone and badly with another. It's a source. It doesn't change anything between headphones, just the quality of the initial analog signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back