Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 27, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #8,086 of 18,459

Quote:
my main problem with my "low end" headphones (ultrasone hd750, modded grado sr80i) is that they seem to trip over themselves in brutally complex music

lets say.. this song, 1 minute and 38 seconds in is relatively complex:

reading through a lot of this.. would you say the lcd-2's are "faster" in the sense where it could keep up with everything happening in that segment?

The LCD-2 becomes congested in some very complex music. The HD800, by contrast does not. Stax portray complex passages with what seems to be effortlessness

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #8,087 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
my main problem with my "low end" headphones (ultrasone hd750, modded grado sr80i) is that they seem to trip over themselves in brutally complex music

reading through a lot of this.. would you say the lcd-2's are "faster" in the sense where it could keep up with everything happening in that segment?

The LCD-2 becomes congested in some very complex music. The HD800, by contrast does not. Stax portray complex passages with what seems to be effortlessness

For example here. I agree generally with this, but would add that if the recording quality is "right", there is no congestion at all with the LCD-2. It can break down in complex passages on bad recordings though. On my rig the HD800 can be more forgiving for these recordings, I never expected that to happen. But as I have also said the LCD-2 can sound much better with some of my bad vinyl. It just depends on how the music is recorded. The LCD-2 and the HD800 aren't perfect but they do what they do very well and provide a great contrast to each other. But neither of these headphones, for all of their prowess, are as versatile as my HE-6.

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #8,088 of 18,459
so would you suggest he-6 or lcd-2 for that kind of complexity.. assuming a quality recording?

the lcd-2 was attractive to me because of the punchiness in the low end - a huge thing for me, and how easily it is driven as i wont be shelling a ton for an amp any time soon :/

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #8,090 of 18,459

Quote:
I think the LCD2 is faster than the HE6. 

Do you have both? I am curious because I have been thinking about getting the HE6, though even if there is a difference I am just wondering rather than it being a reason to or not to purchase. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #8,091 of 18,459
I have no issue with Mr. Green posting his thoughts on the LCD-2, because he owned them. Mr. Green has just as much right to post his negative impressions. I don't agree with many of his criticisms of the LCD-2, but I actually owned ER4's very briefly, and found them to be very thin sounding. So I can see where someone who likes that tonal balance would have issue with the LCD-2. Neither viewpoint is "correct". They are just viewpoints.

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #8,092 of 18,459
I was listening to this track to try and see your point...somehow I have the urge to smash things and eat raw steak now tho.  Or was that your point? 
atsmile.gif

Quote:

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #8,093 of 18,459

XD maybe <.<

the youtube one is crappy quality, i have it on cd and its like a different song..

also thats the first half, if i recall its 21:00 exactly
Quote:
I was listening to this track to try and see your point...somehow I have the urge to smash things and eat raw steak now tho.  Or was that your point? 
atsmile.gif

Quote:

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #8,094 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
I think the LCD2 is faster than the HE6. 

Do you have both? I am curious because I have been thinking about getting the HE6, though even if there is a difference I am just wondering rather than it being a reason to or not to purchase. 

I've heard both and decided to get the LCD-2. 

Both orthos have their strengths and weaknesses but for me, LCD2's weaknesses bug me less than HE6's so this is where I put my cards. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #8,095 of 18,459
i just wish there was a way for me to audition them first :frowning2:

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #8,096 of 18,459
Lots of good things about both headphone, but I think in the end I slightly prefer the more laid bad but still very detailed sound of the LCD-2. Nonetheless, I find both headphones to be outstanding.

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #8,097 of 18,459

Quote:
Lots of good things about both headphone, but I think in the end I slightly prefer the more laid bad but still very detailed sound of the LCD-2. Nonetheless, I find both headphones to be outstanding.

I would look forward to your comparison of these to the broken in Ed. 10. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #8,098 of 18,459

Quote:

For example here. I agree generally with this, but would add that if the recording quality is "right", there is no congestion at all with the LCD-2. It can break down in complex passages on bad recordings though. On my rig the HD800 can be more forgiving for these recordings, I never expected that to happen. But as I have also said the LCD-2 can sound much better with some of my bad vinyl. It just depends on how the music is recorded. The LCD-2 and the HD800 aren't perfect but they do what they do very well and provide a great contrast to each other. But neither of these headphones, for all of their prowess, are as versatile as my HE-6.

I don't think this is the issue in my case, considering I listen to some of the better recorded music in existence in general. I think it has to do with the bass quantity in the recording at a particular point, as the driver has to move more. Whether or not this is a limitation of my setup at the time, or the headphone itself is hugely up for debate, so I'd rather not go into it, but I've heard several local guys provide similar impressions.

Quote:
Skylab said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have no issue with Mr. Green posting his thoughts on the LCD-2, because he owned them. Mr. Green has just as much right to post his negative impressions. I don't agree with many of his criticisms of the LCD-2, but I actually owned ER4's very briefly, and found them to be very thin sounding. So I can see where someone who likes that tonal balance would have issue with the LCD-2. Neither viewpoint is "correct". They are just viewpoints.

Funnily enough, you came up in a local person who was looking at the LCD-2. Naturally they had been explained to what I consider a fundamental difference between us - our taste in frequency balance. Your collection, by and large, is made up of headphones I would consider dark.

Moderators don't seem to appreciate my input as much (I've received several ban threats, for example :wink:. But that's just the way head-fi is.)

Quote:
Nihility said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

i just wish there was a way for me to audition them first :frowning2:

Given the er.. rather large spread of frequency balances in your signature, it could go either way. I would suggest hunting them down (or a head-fier who owns them) before buying. I was actually planning to own the headphone until I heard it. Technical death metal seems to have complex bass as well in my brief exposure to it - which means that, by my experience it is possible the LCD-2 could fail a little (much of the music where I personally found it broke down had much less complex bass than TDM, but had a much more busy midrange overall).

Quote:
nigeljames said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

LCD-2's are in a so much higher class that they don't sound anything like HD650's (thankfully).
The only reason they are compared at all is because they both are said to have a 'dark' character. However the LCD's extend far higher than the HD650's and the highs are not as recessed although more recessed than 'bright' phones.

I agree for hte most part but can say with some confidence that the LCD-2's are the darkest pair of headphones I have ever heard. I personally owned the DT770 pros (the 80 ohm version) for an extended period of time. Another distinction between the HD650 and the LCD-2 is that the LCD-2 comes across as "heavier" across the bass and mid frequencies, although I would go further to say that the lower end sounds more bloated on the HD650 (hopefully owners of both know what I mean?)

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #8,099 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think this is the issue in my case, considering I listen to some of the better recorded music in existence in general. I think it has to do with the bass quantity in the recording at a particular point, as the driver has to move more. Whether or not this is a limitation of my setup at the time, or the headphone itself is hugely up for debate, so I'd rather not go into it, but I've heard several local guys provide similar impressions.

So without "getting into it", were you using tubes or SS? From what I have read the LCD-2 does better in regards to congestion when being amplified with a good SS amp; according to consensus it does very well with the Cavelli Liquid amps and the Concerto. When I get my new cable I will be able to test that theory as my tube amp is very good but maybe not so much with orthos.

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #8,100 of 18,459

Quote:
So without "getting into it", were you using tubes or SS? From what I have read the LCD-2 does better in regards to congestion when being amplified with a good SS amp; according to consensus it does very well with the Cavelli Liquid amps and the Concerto. When I get my new cable I will be able to test that theory as my tube amp is very good but maybe not so much with orthos.

Solid state, just under $1kish new. I won't bother saying if I think it's worth the money (spoilers: I don't). I do know that a local guy with similar findings was using a corda prehead and another using a woo audio 2 (or was it a diy thing? can't remember - oh wait it was his dac and electrostat amp that are diy).

I personally didn't bother trying it with an ultra-high-end amplifier because my reasons for disliking the headphone had very little to do with aspects that would improve with superior amplification, and I didn't plan to upgrade my amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back