Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 27, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #8,116 of 18,459

Quote:
I dont know about the GZ34 but I know when rob has the CSP-2 he thought the Princess was too bright. I like the Sylvania 5U4G which I just found another one for the Taboo. Those Mullard EL84 would be very pricey I imagine now. I have never heard the original genalex but I have the 6922 tubes and Macedonian Hero bought and loves the 12AX7 and my tube dealer Jim McShane swears by these tubes and I really trust his judgment as he has never let me down. They are 59.00 matched pair for new production so not a killer. Rob also likes the Sylvania EL84 which I seen a pair on Ebay for 30.00 but not willing to take the shot with a limited seller. I will ask my tube dealers whats out there.When are you coming home to look at your tubes. Is your job permanent there.

It isn't permanent here and if it was I wouldn't stay anyway. Too different from what it was supposed to be as in corruption everywhere. I spoke to one embassy person who has worked in many areas around the world and I have lived in many areas around the world and we agreed that this, sadly, is one of the worst for corruption. 

I have some nice NOS Sylvania. They can be nice. I also have some nice RCA's, well I have a box of EL84 types, 5BQ5, 7189, EL84. I love tubes. I have around 150 NOS in Amperex 6DJ8's of all types. Amazingly though, when Amperex went out of production and started rebranding other tubes the rebranded Russian tubes that are marked as Gt. Britain but really Russian 6DJ8 type, are the best sounding. They are stunning. I am glad I bought a bunch as they are pretty uncommon now and last a long time. The list goes on. I used to enjoy just going through the tubes. I used them as a radioman in the navy so there is also history. 

That Decware looks like good stuff. Maybe some day. I like to build my own equipment but having someone else's is fun and the EL84 tube is a sweet tube as long as you don't need more power. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #8,117 of 18,459

Quote:
I have no issue with Mr. Green posting his thoughts on the LCD-2, because he owned them. Mr. Green has just as much right to post his negative impressions. I don't agree with many of his criticisms of the LCD-2, but I actually owned ER4's very briefly, and found them to be very thin sounding. So I can see where someone who likes that tonal balance would have issue with the LCD-2. Neither viewpoint is "correct". They are just viewpoints.

Nope, he never owned a pair.

Quote:
Quote:
So without "getting into it", were you using tubes or SS? From what I have read the LCD-2 does better in regards to congestion when being amplified with a good SS amp; according to consensus it does very well with the Cavelli Liquid amps and the Concerto. When I get my new cable I will be able to test that theory as my tube amp is very good but maybe not so much with orthos.

Solid state, just under $1kish new. I won't bother saying if I think it's worth the money (spoilers: I don't). I do know that a local guy with similar findings was using a corda prehead and another using a woo audio 2 (or was it a diy thing? can't remember - oh wait it was his dac and electrostat amp that are diy).

I personally didn't bother trying it with an ultra-high-end amplifier because my reasons for disliking the headphone had very little to do with aspects that would improve with superior amplification, and I didn't plan to upgrade my amp.

More importantly what is your source?  It was the variation in sources that had a much greater effect on the LCD2s IME.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #8,118 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
I dont know about the GZ34 but I know when rob has the CSP-2 he thought the Princess was too bright. I like the Sylvania 5U4G which I just found another one for the Taboo. Those Mullard EL84 would be very pricey I imagine now. I have never heard the original genalex but I have the 6922 tubes and Macedonian Hero bought and loves the 12AX7 and my tube dealer Jim McShane swears by these tubes and I really trust his judgment as he has never let me down. They are 59.00 matched pair for new production so not a killer. Rob also likes the Sylvania EL84 which I seen a pair on Ebay for 30.00 but not willing to take the shot with a limited seller. I will ask my tube dealers whats out there.When are you coming home to look at your tubes. Is your job permanent there.

It isn't permanent here and if it was I wouldn't stay anyway. Too different from what it was supposed to be as in corruption everywhere. I spoke to one embassy person who has worked in many areas around the world and I have lived in many areas around the world and we agreed that this, sadly, is one of the worst for corruption. 

I have some nice NOS Sylvania. They can be nice. I also have some nice RCA's, well I have a box of EL84 types, 5BQ5, 7189, EL84. I love tubes. I have around 150 NOS in Amperex 6DJ8's of all types. Amazingly though, when Amperex went out of production and started rebranding other tubes the rebranded Russian tubes that are marked as Gt. Britain but really Russian 6DJ8 type, are the best sounding. They are stunning. I am glad I bought a bunch as they are pretty uncommon now and last a long time. The list goes on. I used to enjoy just going through the tubes. I used them as a radioman in the navy so there is also history. 

That Decware looks like good stuff. Maybe some day. I like to build my own equipment but having someone else's is fun and the EL84 tube is a sweet tube as long as you don't need more power. 

What cool about Decware stuff Steve is really a old fashioned audiophile and takes the simple approach and everything I have heard has sounded so good. I like the low Wattage amps as this sounds so right. Hopefully the Omega nearfield speakers will keep me happy but its mostly for my headphone rig and now I can concentrate more on new music than gear

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #8,119 of 18,459
Dec 28, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #8,120 of 18,459
So faster in rise and fall in response to a signal, with less smearing? Not that I am saying I have read that the HE-6 smears. I am not saying this at all but in comparison how are you interpreting speed?

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #8,121 of 18,459

Quote:
So faster in rise and fall in response to a signal, with less smearing? Not that I am saying I have read that the HE-6 smears. I am not saying this at all but in comparison how are you interpreting speed?

Yes, though neither can smears sounds. We are comparing two high-end headphones after all. I just remember the LCD-2 having a more accurate decay and a bit faster attack.

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #8,123 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm fairly sure that the HE6 has a longer decay than the HE6. Very obvious with cymbals and percussions. 

You may want to make an edit here...

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #8,124 of 18,459
Whoops, thanks grokit. 
redface.gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #8,126 of 18,459
I hate the stock wire on the LCD-2.  It's sturdy, no doubt would survive hard use in the mastering studio. Or a tactical nuke.  But it's SO AWFULLY STIFF.  Also, the woven covering on the earcup leads makes horrible mechanical noises at any slight movement when listening-  ARGGGH.

So I made new cables using AWG#26 teflon-insulated wire.  I terminated this in a 4-pin XLR for use with balanced amps, and can use the standard 3-wire phone plug connector from my HE-6's for duty with unbalanced amps.

These new cables are so light and flexible, what a joy in comparison to the PLUMBING that comes with the LCD-2's.  That original cable is like using Romex or BX !  

Yeah they are pretty flimsy, maybe won't hold up.  But the teflon insulation is pretty strong and abrasion-resistant, that should help.  

New wire, next to old.  That's the HE-6 unbalanced plug there pinch-hitting for the LCD-2.

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #8,127 of 18,459
Frank, I got the sylvanias from thetubeshop.com.  I think I paid around 75 for the pair there.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #8,128 of 18,459

I'm contacting Steve for a pair of sylvania 12ax7 for my 300xs as well.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #8,129 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm contacting Harell for a pair of sylvania 12ax7 for my 300xs as well.

I prefer the gray plate triple mica over the black plate triple mica. More open sound stage and with the LCD-2s that is a good thing.
smile.gif

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #8,130 of 18,459
Just received my LCD2, one hell of a night last night was :D

anyway about the cable..
i wonder why didnt they erase the wordings on the cable..
Canare 4S6.. speaker cable o.o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back