Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 27, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #8,072 of 18,459
How would I go about ordering one of these?  There is a Norse Audio website, but it's not active yet.  That's a fantastic looking cable, and the price sounds right.

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #8,073 of 18,459
Email Trevor (TigzStudio on HeadFi) at NorseAudio@gmail.com. He´ll send you the intro text, prices etc. He is selling an initial pre-release run already at good prices. He always replied to my messages very fast, and the cable was shipped the day after I paid via Paypal. And no I don´t have anything to do with his business, just a happy customer :)

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #8,075 of 18,459
Thanks for the info; I pre-ordered my LCD-2s on December 3, so I'm guessing it'll be a couple of weeks, at least, before I get them.  If I'm not happy with the stock cable, I'll definitely look into one of these.

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #8,076 of 18,459

Quote:
Kind of looks like the old Monster cable from about 25 years ago though Monster was a larger gauge and would turn green in a couple of years. Was pretty at first. 

Funny they were pretty much the first cable at that time and it was 50 cents a foot. I used them with my original DCM Time Windows which was realy a great speaker in that day with the NAD 3140 my first rig.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #8,077 of 18,459

Quote:

The question is it more heavy than stock or less or the same weight. I like the look and the price Trevor is charging for them and look foward to some comparison from both balanced and single ended users to see what differences there are from stock. Beautiful work Trevor did with the cable.

I managed to build a XLR to TRS adapter cable, using solid core copper CAT6, so I can test the cable.  Even with the CAT6 cable in the way, meaning I have not heard the ultimate potential of the Norse cable, this was what I had to say in the LCD2 appreciation thread:

Quote:
SP Wild said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I built a 4 pin XLR to TRS adaptor cable of 60 cm in length out of CAT6 solid core copper cabling.  I don't believe in short adapters that lets the weight of 2 XLR (4 XLRs when using 3 pin) connectors pull against the amplifiers TRS jack.  A good length so I can coil it and place it on the desk, hence placing zero strain or load on the TRS jack.

This is so I can check that TigzStudios's Norse Audio cable for functionality. 

Well it works...that's a good thing.

The best thing about this cable is that, even though I have bottlenecked Trevors workmaship (special solder, special UPOCC etc) with almost a metre of crappy computer cable with left over solder from cheap learn electronic kits.  It sounds...WOW.

This is my first ever aftermarket headphone cable and I did not know how it could possibly "improve" the sound...but it does.  For me it is very noticeable.

Compared to stock, the Norse Audio cable has a wider soundstage, more stable and precise imaging with better precision and separation.  Treble is smoother, cleaner and more precise, midrange is more fleshed out - instrument tone seems more realistic with the fleshed out mid range.  Bass goes lower and sounds tighter and cleaner.  At the moment...including the CAT6 in the way...I can't say that the tonal balance gets tipped up more towards the treble...it actually is tipped a little lower towards greater tone and bass precision...however the treble is still clearly superior.

The stock cable now sounds a little grained, compressed in dynamics and soundstage.  Separation and imaging is more vague with the standard cable.  There is no way I will ever go back to the standard cable.  I can't wait to get a balanced amp so I don't have to have a cheap cable bottlenecking the unique OCC cable and finally hear the full potential of this cable.  I think this OCC copper thing is the real deal.

Ergonomics is fantastic...the shorter mini XLRs are indespensible...I can look tilt my head down without the connector digging into me.  The OCC braids are about as pliable as the stock cable, however it feels like its lighter, because when you move around and the cable is dragging across your clothes there is no rubber and netting to grab on and add to the perceived weight.  The cable is smooth as silk and glides along clothing with zero microphonics.  I really cannot ask for more...this is a major bargain IMHO.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #8,078 of 18,459
I find it weighs about the same as the stock cable.

Quote:
The question is it more heavy than stock or less or the same weight. I like the look and the price Trevor is charging for them and look foward to some comparison from both balanced and single ended users to see what differences there are from stock. Beautiful work Trevor did with the cable.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #8,079 of 18,459
I will get to hear the Silver Dragon at the mini meet in January to see if I like the silver presentation. As I look more at Trevor cable the more I like it but need to get some funds together as I am currently tapped after buying speakers yesterday. LOL I thought I was done but cable are tweaks. I am finished with my cans as I love the different presentation and the LCD2 gets most of my head time now. Looking forward to hearing both Norse and the Silver Dragon

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #8,080 of 18,459
A key benefit of these headphones over the direct competition in the dynamic range of headphones is the price of entry. It baffles me that so many are so eager to throw away this advantage with something that has no scientific basis. What baffles me further is the argument in favour of headphones you have the desire to improve with wires, when most of the people here probably wouldn't consider a cable for most other headphones because deficiencies either seem less apparent or "less of a deal". Or perhaps people know cables are not going to make a difference and merely go into the speculative market because others swear by their purchase.

That said, nothing wrong with buying cables for visual impact. Nor buying a cable for going balanced.

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #8,081 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
But is it safe to say that if you like the HD 650, you'll also like the LCD-2?

Or if you don't then the opposite?  It seems he made the differences apparent enough for my reading though.  I'm not a fan of the 'typical' Senn sound but it sounds like it is not a concern w/ the LCD2.

I am in your boat as well, it seems.  I just do not like the HD650s at all...they sounded bland and flat to my ears.  Everyone else, in general, seems to love them though.  So I hope the LCD-2 cans aren't a Sennheiser-ish sound.

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #8,082 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But is it safe to say that if you like the HD 650, you'll also like the LCD-2?

Or if you don't then the opposite?  It seems he made the differences apparent enough for my reading though.  I'm not a fan of the 'typical' Senn sound but it sounds like it is not a concern w/ the LCD2.

I am in your boat as well, it seems.  I just do not like the HD650s at all...they sounded bland and flat to my ears.  Everyone else, in general, seems to love them though.  So I hope the LCD-2 cans aren't a Sennheiser-ish sound.

LCD-2's are in a so much higher class that they don't sound anything like HD650's (thankfully).
The only reason they are compared at all is because they both are said to have a 'dark' character. However the LCD's extend far higher than the HD650's and the highs are not as recessed although more recessed than 'bright' phones.

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #8,083 of 18,459
Well experimenting is part of the hobby

Quote:
A key benefit of these headphones over the direct competition in the dynamic range of headphones is the price of entry. It baffles me that so many are so eager to throw away this advantage with something that has no scientific basis. What baffles me further is the argument in favour of headphones you have the desire to improve with wires, when most of the people here probably wouldn't consider a cable for most other headphones because deficiencies either seem less apparent or "less of a deal". Or perhaps people know cables are not going to make a difference and merely go into the speculative market because others swear by their purchase.

That said, nothing wrong with buying cables for visual impact. Nor buying a cable for going balanced.

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #8,084 of 18,459
my main problem with my "low end" headphones (ultrasone hd750, modded grado sr80i) is that they seem to trip over themselves in brutally complex music

lets say.. this song, 1 minute and 38 seconds in is relatively complex:

reading through a lot of this.. would you say the lcd-2's are "faster" in the sense where it could keep up with everything happening in that segment?

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #8,085 of 18,459
That Norse is a beautiful cable, it would have been my first choice if I wasn't trying to match my HD800's Double Helix.

And I find MrGreen's posts worthwhile, he writes well and provides some balance to this thread. I don't always agree with him but that's not really the point is it? IMO A headphone forum should welcome a true diversity of OPINIONS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back