Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 12, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #7,621 of 18,459
My LCD-2s are schedule to be at my door in about 12 hours ..... really excited to hear for myself what all the hype is about (both good and bad)

Really crossing my fingers they sent it with the right cables - NOT the balanced one some people have reportedly received .....

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #7,622 of 18,459
Skylab, MH or other silver dragon 3 users have you measured them with SPL metre. Mine are a bit to inaccurate to properly SPL match them I believe.

Done some more testing the last days. Dunno how many hours but well over 200 at this point I would imagine. SD 3 is a bit leaner but also smoother it feels like. The stock cable give slightly more body to the sound and is a bit more speaker like. But sometimes it feels like there is some gravel in it compared to the SD 3 and more resonances. I do appreciate that it always make sure you are connected to the music though and I seldom find them lacking body.

As for detail the LCD-2 is really razer sharp on the Ref9. It really should be fatiguing but somehow it´s not despite this. My DAC19 particularly with DSP 3 is very soft and warmer in comparison. But it´s easier then ever to pickup sound ques with the SD-3 on the Ref-9. The slightly leaner bottom end does give a bit better definition to it. Mid range is perhaps pushed a bit back also but all the detail is still there. As for treble I haven´t noticed that much difference there. But I suspect I am no treble head.

Subtle changes easilly noticed but hard to describe.
Will not be fun to dissect the stock cable though. Maybe should hunt for some of those HE-6 boxes or similar. I would need someone with extension cables if I am to use it with the SD 3 since it´s a bit short. ALO offers one but it was a bit much.

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #7,623 of 18,459

Quote:
Skylab, MH or other silver dragon 3 users have you measured them with SPL metre. Mine are a bit to inaccurate to properly SPL match them I believe.

Done some more testing the last days. Dunno how many hours but well over 200 at this point I would imagine. SD 3 is a bit leaner but also smoother it feels like. The stock cable give slightly more body to the sound and is a bit more speaker like. But sometimes it feels like there is some gravel in it compared to the SD 3 and more resonances. I do appreciate that it always make sure you are connected to the music though and I seldom find them lacking body.

As for detail the LCD-2 is really razer sharp on the Ref9. It really should be fatiguing but somehow it´s not despite this. My DAC19 particularly with DSP 3 is very soft and warmer in comparison. But it´s easier then ever to pickup sound ques with the SD-3 on the Ref-9. The slightly leaner bottom end does give a bit better definition to it. Mid range is perhaps pushed a bit back also but all the detail is still there. As for treble I haven´t noticed that much difference there. But I suspect I am no treble head.

Subtle changes easilly noticed but hard to describe.
Will not be fun to dissect the stock cable though. Maybe should hunt for some of those HE-6 boxes or similar. I would need someone with extension cables if I am to use it with the SD 3 since it´s a bit short. ALO offers one but it was a bit much.

I do find the SD3 to have more liquid mids and slightly improved treble. I find them slightly more woolly with a tiny bit of gravel (as you put it) with the stock cable (and can't go back as a result). The SD3 gives a very clean sound; without giving away any bass (to my ears). I do have an SPL, but haven't done any A-B measurements...and with Christmas coming, it'll be tough, but I can try.

Regardless, the human ear can pick up on so much more than an SPL meter (beyond just tonal balance). I find the mids are actually more upfront with the SD3 and a bit more treble that gives them more air in their presentation. Throw in the ergonomic improvements with the SD3, I am very happy with them.

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #7,624 of 18,459
I'm certain that the resolution of my SPL meter is not high enough to capute any changes in frequency response that the different cables might have, as I expect they would be very, very small.

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #7,625 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm certain that the resolution of my SPL meter is not high enough to capute any changes in frequency response that the different cables might have, as I expect they would be very, very small.

And any variations could be a result of the variability of either the gauge or person using the gauge.

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #7,626 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
That's IT!!!!  I placed an order 5 minutes ago.  Please bear my 'whinning' in the coming weeks
biggrin.gif

What is the normal ETA on these?

You should get them next year if you order within the next 11 months I think :¬)

You can refer to this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/509255/audez-e-lcd-2-owner-roll-call-list-your-serial-number-here/90#post_7088731 for some idea of what others had to wait thru to get their LCD-2s.

And about the 'whinning'... A glass of red with the LCD-2s and Diana Krall or Sarah McLachlan is my kind of « whining »!!

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #7,627 of 18,459
ARGHHHH!!!!! Got notice from customs my LCD-2s have Clearance Delay because there's insufficient paper work with the package!!! Gotta wait some more till they get the paperwork from Audeze ... I hope they start answering emails from FedEx!!!

Sorry to start rambling bout my shipment here .... I guess only the people here share the same feelings and excitement of waiting for a new pair of headphones? :)

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #7,629 of 18,459
Aww man that blows... Hopefully, Alex and Sankar can get it fixed quickly for you.

Just curious but did you disconnect/reconnect the cable everytime or just leave it on?

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #7,631 of 18,459
I thought I recalled this happening before. Hopefully, it turns out to be an isolated issue. I believe Audeze ended up sending a replacement unit so getting in touch with Alex and Sankar would be my first course of action.

Quote:
I'm loving my LCD-2, but I noticed a couple of days ago that there is a noticeable crack in the wooden frame right above the cable connector as you can see in the picture.  Has this been an issue for anyone else?  I'm going to try getting in touch with the Audeze guys for a replacement.  I've also noticed that one ear pad is much thicker than the other...I don't know if this makes any difference in sound, but it does bother my anal nature (facepalm for self).
Also, for those of you who had to send back a defective unit, how is the shipping cost handled?  Hoping for a smooth fix.

Dec 13, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #7,633 of 18,459

Man! Can't imagine the frustration! So near yet so far! :)

Hang in there mate! I'm sure they'll have it resolved in no time! 

L3000.gif

Quote:
ARGHHHH!!!!! Got notice from customs my LCD-2s have Clearance Delay because there's insufficient paper work with the package!!! Gotta wait some more till they get the paperwork from Audeze ... I hope they start answering emails from FedEx!!!

Sorry to start rambling bout my shipment here .... I guess only the people here share the same feelings and excitement of waiting for a new pair of headphones? :)

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #7,634 of 18,459
I have about 150 hours on the LCD-2's now and I am amazed. I am using them balanced out of either the Protector or the Toucan PB-1. The sound is expansive and I hear more detail (minor sounds, audience noise that I never realized existed even with the JH13 Pro and other sounds) than I thought was possibly recorded. And, I hear this with a transparency and layering that defies what I thought I was going to hear. I was sure I would continue to hear a smaller soundstage, like everyone mentions but what I hear is a huge enveloping musical scape that has a transparency between instruments and voices that I did not know existed and so exceeds any of my other phones that it is difficult for me to believe but I rarely drink and don't do drugs so I have little reason to think I am not on fairly solid ground, at least for being on a little island. :^)

Now, what will these sound like with the 71b or PB-2? 

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #7,635 of 18,459

Quote:
I was sure I would continue to hear a smaller soundstage, like everyone mentions but what I hear is a huge enveloping musical scape that has a transparency between instruments and voices that I did not know existed and so exceeds any of my other phones that it is difficult for me to believe but I rarely drink and don't do drugs so I have little reason to think I am not on fairly solid ground, at least for being on a little island. :^)

Maybe your island is so small that the LCD-2s' soundstage can cover it entirely? People living on continents may feel differently. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back