Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 2, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #7,052 of 18,459
Thanks to that 6 moons review on the LCD-2's I ordered my first bit of jazz Tigran Hamasyan - Red Hail. The cd arrived today and I'm loving it so far with the LCD-2's. 

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #7,053 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Just got my order e-mail from Audez'e.  For reference, I was put in the queue on 10/21.

Me too! Got the email! :) I was put in the Q on Nov 7 ... we're probably in the same batch ... :) 

Me as well. Put myself on the waiting list back in early Oct. and was beginning to think they forgot about me. Really been looking forward to these as quite frankly have been a little underwhelmed by my HD800's even after upgrading my amp to a Isabellina HPA (LFP-V edition) and stock cable to a DHC mini compliment. Source is a Mac Mini running Apple lossless via itunes & AyreWave or Audirvana.

Just cannot seem to find the "magic" in a lot of my music but admit I am a sucker for a warm presentation with a nice rich low frequency response so perhaps the HD800's were not the best choice for me.

Anyone local wanting a deal on HD800's let me know
wink_face.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #7,054 of 18,459
Hey, I reckon that Mike from headfonia reads this thread and gets frustrated with the previous dismissal of his interpretation of the LCD2s in this thread...lets rub him the wrong way some more. 
L3000.gif

Here, I'll keep the ball rolling.

Errr...hmmm...I now hear what he is saying.  My LCD2s suddenly don't sound right for a 1K headphone...I think Audeze is pulling the wool over our eyes, these cans clearly sound inferior to my other 1K cans now that he has drawn these issues to my attention.  I should have stuck to my other 1K cans and dismissed the LCD2s...what was I thinking, or hearing?  This conspiracy needs to stop...I applaud Mike for alerting us all to the truth.  This is unacceptable!

giggle giggle giggle.

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #7,055 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Just got my order e-mail from Audez'e.  For reference, I was put in the queue on 10/21.

Me too! Got the email! :) I was put in the Q on Nov 7 ... we're probably in the same batch ... :) 

Interesting. I put in a preorder on Oct 29. I wonder what happened to my order? No love for Micronesia? :^)

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #7,056 of 18,459

Quote:
Hey, I reckon that Mike from headfonia reads this thread and gets frustrated with the previous dismissal of his interpretation of the LCD2s in this thread...lets rub him the wrong way some more. 
L3000.gif

Here, I'll keep the ball rolling.

Errr...hmmm...I now hear what he is saying.  My LCD2s suddenly don't sound right for a 1K headphone...I think Audeze is pulling the wool over our eyes, these cans clearly sound inferior to my other 1K cans now that he has drawn these issues to my attention.  I should have stuck to my other 1K cans and dismissed the LCD2s...what was I thinking, or hearing?  This conspiracy needs to stop...I applaud Mike for alerting us all to the truth.  This is unacceptable!

giggle giggle giggle.

Hehe, I hope he reads that. Seriously though, I think Mike has been doing a tremendous work over at headfonia that ought to be recognised. It has become one of the best reference sources in the net about everything that has to do with headphones.

Edit: aside from head-fi of course.

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #7,057 of 18,459
I wonder if Mike can't distinguish between treble and detail. It's a mistake I've found myself making enough times.  Does he volume match with an SPL?

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #7,059 of 18,459
If you don't match levels with an SPL meter when doing comparisons, the comparisons are basically worthless.

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #7,060 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Finally, I have been re-united with my LCD2s.  I think I loaned them out for longer than I had actually had them in my possession.  This time I am armed with an additional DAC in the form of the Reference 7.  First impressions...these are not the LCD2s that I bought.  They're bordering on bright, but the Reference 7 blows out the soundstage, bass and ambience and imaging like no tommorow. 

Every time I see someone who can stand going back to their Edition 8s or Denons after the LCD-2s, I think it's because their source isn't good enough, as those headphones can't even touch the LCD-2s in speed and detail when I switch to them. I used to say, when I was into Stax in a big way, your source can never be good enough.  I think it's the same for the LCD-2s.  Stax rigs too, are balanced by design, and I feel that balanced, the LCD-2s are similar in their headstage when balanced (in my rig -- I have ever only owned or used one balanced amp, so I'm assuming much the same effect results with other high-end balanced amps).  The overall result is totally different compared to how the LCD-2s sound plugged in to any other amp I've tried.  Maybe a good dual-mono SE amp might get most of the way there, as the Audiovalve RKV did when I owned it.  That amp demonstrated to me how a good SE amp can bring a wide headstage into the game without the need for a balanced set-up.

As for the treble, there is a peak quite late at 10k or higher, so while that is above the region that promotes sibilance, it's in the area where symbols are heard, so indeed the LCD-2s can sound bright at times, but it's not irritating with my Phoenix/Ref 1 rig, due to the low distortion.  It can be annoying with the cheaper gear I have around.

I find now that I am hearing things I never noticed before.  One of these relates to your comment about headstage, going balanced and dual mono.  When I first built my Silicon Chip DAC...I immediately noticed how it matched my Bryston for headstage...albeit the Bryston was superior in all other technical benchmarks.  I just realised that my DIY silicon chip headamp has a wider headstage than my Lehmann Black Cube linear, both with similar topologies.

It occurred to me that there was a commonality in all Silicon chip designs, their circuit layouts are symmetrical between left and right channels...in some ways "dual mono".  The much dearer Lehmann amp does not have this symetrical circuit layout between left and right channels.  Immediately obvious to me now is how the SCHA separates left and right channels further away from each other, leading to a wider headstage.  Balanced headphone amps by necessity is taking this balanced circuit layout to the extreme, This may be a contributing factor to why many discern a wider headstage from using balanced headphones.  Your theories intrigue me, I find this all very fascinating.  I am suspecting at this stage that the speed of the amplifier depends a great deal on the rigidity, stability and speed of the power circuits.

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #7,061 of 18,459
Dialog in the music is much clearer. The 2s are faithful and has impressed me with the ability to pull out everything in the material. Some of the old rock (CCR) was recorded terribly but the LCD-2 fully flushed out every instrument, vocal, etc. I could never fully hear the expression of syllables from Fogerty, it always seemed to be muffled before, I can now hear it.

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #7,063 of 18,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubularbells /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyone local wanting a deal on HD800's let me know
wink_face.gif

I've scheduled a meeting with a local head-fier that will involve me listening to the LCD-2 and Stax. Although I've already heard the HD800, if I don't find either of the aforementioned to my taste, you can expect me to be in line.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #7,064 of 18,459
You don't need an SPL meter to find that a headphone is grainy, artificial treble boost, sibilant..you use your ears for that. Train your ears well enough to find out what sort of sound you like and that's all you will ever need to measure something in terms of its musicality.

who gives a frack what this headfonia website says..first time i ever heard of it..and reading through that website only makes it obvious why i never heard of it before.

For that matter, who says you have to give a frack about what anyone says..listen and make up your own mind. 

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #7,065 of 18,459
They're here!

Wow, talk 'bout some seriously fast shipping...I paid on Tuesday and they arrived just a few minutes ago at the office.  How cool is that?!  I wasn't actually expecting them until sometime next week. 

A very pleasant surprise, that's for sure.

Can't wait to get home! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back