Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Nov 23, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #6,858 of 18,459
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Cryo treatment? That usually costs extra.

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #6,859 of 18,459

Quote:
FYI guys I pre-ordered on the 15th of October and got an email yesterday with a link to pay (22nd November), so roughly 5 weeks. I'm also from AUS, not quite sure regarding customs tax but just couldn't resist either way so I guess if I get charged tax I'll have to cop it on the chin and pay it. Here's a direct link to the Customs website with info on buying over the internet: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp

Look under 'When Duty and Taxes are Payable'.

I think the fees regarding brokerage, wharf costs etc might be associated with importing goods to sell only? Since this is a personal import and no different from ordering off Amazon.com, I don't see why we would have to pay any costs other than duty + GST if the value was over $1000AUD.

Anyways fingers crossed and hopefully I receive these bad boys in a week or so :)

Looking forward to hearing what happens! Thanks. Would you mind throwing me a PM when you receive them and letting me know the total cost including any taxes/duty/shipping etc?

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #6,860 of 18,459
It just got dispatched. ETA for delivery is listed as Monday the 29th via FedEx. Total price was $945.00USD for the headphones and $52.00USD for shipping to NSW. Total cost = $997.00USD.

PayPal ended up charging me $1040.88AUD using their currency conversion rate. Will let you know if i get a call from Customs or if I receive the goods with no extras to pay on Monday :) Hopefully it's the latter.

Quote:
Looking forward to hearing what happens! Thanks. Would you mind throwing me a PM when you receive them and letting me know the total cost including any taxes/duty/shipping etc?

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #6,861 of 18,459

Quote:
It just got dispatched. ETA for delivery is listed as Monday the 29th via FedEx. Total price was $945.00USD for the headphones and $52.00USD for shipping to NSW. Total cost = $997.00USD.

PayPal ended up charging me $1040.88AUD using their currency conversion rate. Will let you know if i get a call from Customs or if I receive the goods with no extras to pay on Monday :) Hopefully it's the latter.

Quote:

Definitely mate, best of luck! looking forward to your impressions.

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #6,862 of 18,459
Have fun with customs.

Quote:

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #6,863 of 18,459
Interesting. We get a regular flight here in Pohnpei, Micronesia and FedEx is double that price like around 100 dollars. That is the reason I use US mail as this is considered a US postal zone and the rates are the same as mailing within the US!

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #6,866 of 18,459

Quote:
After spending quite a but of time with the ALO 8-wire LUX_FEP and Moon Audio Silver Dragon.  After burning in the Silver Dragon 100 hours, I decided to keep it, and sell the ALO.  I actually still slightly prefer the ALO in terms of sonics, although the Silver Dragon is excellent.  But whereas the Silver Dragon is actually an ergonomic improvement over the stock cable, the ALO is just far too heavy.  In the end I could not get past that.  Using the headphones with the ALO required me to stay sitting on the couch, and have the couch help support the weight of the cable.  Listening to the ALO standing up was simply not endurable. 

The Silver Dragon, after burn in, do seem to add just a very small amount of extra treble energy.  This is sometimes welcome, and other times, not, depending on the recording, but it was actually pretty subtle in the end (I switched back and forth between cables repeatedly to try to really assess the difference).  Some people might find this slight additional top-end sparkle to be just what the LCD-2 needed.  The difference between either and the stock cable is also relatively subtle, but meaningful enough I think to be worth the expense for some folks (it is for me), and the stock cable has some ergonomic issues of its own (such as hitting the shoulder, and being microphonic).

So while I find both the ALO and Silver Dragon to be excellent sounding aftermarket cables, I prefer the Silver Dragon in terms of the overall package.

Very well stated Rob. While I haven't heard the ALO cable yet, your sentiments on the Moon Audio Silver Dragon mirror mine exactly. I find the extra little bit of treble energy just as you put it: "just what the LCD-2 needed".
smile.gif

Nov 24, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #6,868 of 18,459

Quote:
 I find the extra little bit of treble energy just as you put it: "just what the LCD-2 needed".
smile.gif

In all fairness what he said was "Some people might find this slight additional top-end sparkle to be just what the LCD-2 needed "
Obviously you are firmly in that camp.  I found out recently that I am in the other camp because some of my favorite albums became almost unlistenable when I tried a different DAC which had a bit more prescence in the treble region.
It really showed me how transparent and revealing the LCD-2 is and that I really like the slightly smoother trebble which is very pleasant and sweet and the remarkable thing about it is that it is not at the expense of any detail.

Nov 24, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #6,870 of 18,459
My dumbass self had to recommend he get the wood engraved with his logo and Tigz agreed which is delaying my cable even more ;D But as soon as I do get it I will happily post up something.  

Quote:
Has anyone tried TigzStudio's cable yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back