Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Nov 4, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #6,316 of 18,459
If the hole is not treated like the outside then the rate of moisture absorption would be different, like a glass poured with hot water. But then I'm no expert on wood so what do I know.
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #6,317 of 18,459
I sure hope that this cracked wood will be restricted to a minimum of isolated cases.  Of the issues that have been presented - this one bothers me. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #6,318 of 18,459
Quote:
If they're getting that heavy I'm gonna need to work out my neck a bit more to support these.  My head is big enough, all this strain can't be good for my neck 
tongue.gif

Comfort wise the O2 are my favorite.  I haven't found anything that feel that nice.  The pads particularly feel nice.  I need a pillow made out of those pads!

Whoops I meant a kitchen scale; the review is in the EU loaner thread (post edited).

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #6,319 of 18,459

[size=13.0pt]Well, after the first 24hrs of playtime bass has tightened considerably, the imaging is completely clean now, much more organised than out of the box. Its incredible how I can concentrate more easily on each separate instrument and minuscule resonances, feels more organic than the HD800. I was concerned the soundstage being too closed in, but it panned out perfectly in the first 10 hrs. Furthermore, I thought it would take me more time to dissociate from the HD800 sound, it did not take as much time as when I went from the 701 to the 800. I still need to get more familiarised with the sound, but it has been a charm so far. The comfort issue has ameliorated considerably as well; the greatest detriment is attributed to the cable it comes with. A cable replacement is mandatory, but I have not seen any that have a shorter mini XLR connector than the original, and I don't even know if that is possible; I think the cable connector length should be as short as possible when designing a cable for the LCD2.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]For people concerned about fitting the LCD2 into the box, here are some pictures.[/size]

Fits...

...and closes.

[size=13.0pt]The most significant thing I can say is that both the LCD2 and HD800 are incredible musical instruments that will easily satisfy any human; they are monuments that should have their own showing rooms in the Pompidou.[/size]

Edit: forgot to highlight what I did to the cable.

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #6,320 of 18,459

Quote:

As for the LCD-2 vs Stax OII, the OII eats it for breakfast!!! 
smile.gif

..even out of the Avenson Headphone Amp?

Is it anybody who had chance to compare LCD-2 out of the Peak/Volcano against O2/BHSE combination? Apex Peak seems to be considered as (one of the) top amp for LCD-2 from impressions here.

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #6,321 of 18,459

Quote:
I sure hope that this cracked wood will be restricted to a minimum of isolated cases.  Of the issues that have been presented - this one bothers me. 

Well we have only seen one case.  I would think that there would be no problem unless there was some kind of trauma - like the headphones are dropped and the connector is impacted.  That seems to me to be the only way there would be an issue.  With the box that the headphones ship in, it seems that having this happen during shipping would be a rare case.  All just speculation on my part, but this is not something anyone should lose sleep over at the moment, IMHO.

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #6,322 of 18,459
i agree.
furthermore, we must remember that wood is a living thing until the tree is cut down...
and, from that moment until it finally returns to ashes, wood continues to behave as if it is alive - curing and hardening over time, absorbing and releasing moisture.

so, there is no way around a small percentage of these headphones experiencing cracking or other problems.  that is just the nature of wood...

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #6,323 of 18,459
I'm glad this is not a widespread issue.  I'm not sure if the crack was there from the beginning, or if it developed after I received it...I only noticed it after several days of ownership.  And there was absolutely no trauma to the headphone involved.
Sankar's customer service has been excellent...he's hoping to send out a new unit by early next week at the latest.

Quote:
Well we have only seen one case.  I would think that there would be no problem unless there was some kind of trauma - like the headphones are dropped and the connector is impacted.  That seems to me to be the only way there would be an issue.  With the box that the headphones ship in, it seems that having this happen during shipping would be a rare case.  All just speculation on my part, but this is not something anyone should lose sleep over at the moment, IMHO.

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #6,324 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm glad this is not a widespread issue.  I'm not sure if the crack was there from the beginning, or if it developed after I received it...I only noticed it after several days of ownership.  And there was absolutely no trauma to the headphone involved.
Sankar's customer service has been excellent...he's hoping to send out a new unit by early next week at the latest.

Yes and I was not suggesting that your pair had any trauma that occurred under your watch - just that if someone receives a pair in fine condition, I think it would likely take a trauma to make the crack.

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #6,327 of 18,459

Quote:
It might be a good idea to bring out that wood care package in a few months then to keep the wood in good condition....

Good to see more people storing their LCD2 in the box. It's a good use for it.

To bulky. Did you actually get that wood treatment kit or was it sent without for you as well?

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #6,329 of 18,459

Quote:
Has anyone removed the pads on there LCD2's?  Is it easy?  Hard?  Any tips/pics would be appreciated.......thanks

Bad idea - they are attached with glue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back