Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Oct 31, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #6,211 of 18,459
That's what I had expected based on similar comments here, but my experience has been contrary.  Sure, all the cans sound their best at the higher-volume range, but with LCD-2, at lower volumes, I don't have the yearning to turn up the knob like I often do with T1 and HD800...

Quote:
See, I find the opposite. I prefer the LCD-2s with a good volume (80 - 85 dB) to bring out their fullest. At lower volume I prefer the T1/HD800s.

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #6,212 of 18,459

I listen to a lot of Prog, modern and classic, and toma lot of Porcupine Tree specifically. Sounds great via the LCD-2.

I promise I will offernsome, once my HE-6 arrive
wink.gif

Sky, and don't forget to add the ED10 into the mix also when you compare the He-6 and LCD-2. It is going to be fun.

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #6,213 of 18,459
Yup, will do!

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #6,214 of 18,459
I just took a peek at your equipment list.  Obviously your secret slush fund is much bigger than mine. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I also considered buying a second pair of LCD-2's for a while. But as much as I like them, I decided that buying a different headphone instead was a better plan. But I did consider it seriously.

I had a back-up pair of DX1000's for quite a while, but eventually sold them. I do have two Leben amps at the moment, though, and Im not planning on selling either
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #6,215 of 18,459
Not all headphones get better the more you ramp up the volume. Ultrasones seem to be optimized for lower SPL then most other headphones. Pro 900 get downright ugly if you are trying to go nuts on them but excel at low level listening 
wink.gif

As for the LCD-2 it doesn´t really matter it´s always more detailed and better balanced then the T1 for example. It do superbly at any level. It´s just a case of best or bestest to these ears. Soundstage and comfort is it´s achilles heal. But with the right system matching you can get it at least acceptable for movies/gaming coming from speakers/Ultrasones. I hope I can add cables to that. My moon audio cable should be shipped by now
wink.gif

As for buying backup pairs maybe if Audeze files for bankruptsy but that would be the only scenario where I would ever waste twice the money for the same thing. Would much rather get LCD-3 though that is about as unlikely.

Quote:
That's what I had expected based on similar comments here, but my experience has been contrary.  Sure, all the cans sound their best at the higher-volume range, but with LCD-2, at lower volumes, I don't have the yearning to turn up the knob like I often do with T1 and HD800...

Oct 31, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #6,217 of 18,459

Quote:
Anyone heard the LCD-2 with a MAD Ear+ HD?

Check your PM.
smile.gif
Sorry, I would have responded sooner, but with today being Halloween and 3 young kids (also watching my 2 year old nephew), things have been a little scary (Halloween pun fully intended).

But in case others are interested:

The LCD-2 and MAD Ear+HD go very well together. The mids are quite forward and organic, but I do prefer the LCD-2s with my Concerto by a reasonable margin that I end up using my Meier amp like 90% of the time with the LCD-2s. The bass has more depth, detail and impact, the mids aren't as forward (the MAD has this advantage) and the treble is slightly better extended (a very good thing for the LCD-2s).

But yes they do work very well together. The LCD-2s are 50 ohm cans and the output impedance of the MAD amp is less than 7 ohms, so even in theory they should go well together. I get zero clipping with either amp.

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #6,220 of 18,459
To the owners of the LCD-2: How large is the diameter of the leather pads in inches? Would anyone care to measure them with a ruler or caliper? I know the driver is approximately 2.9" large, but what about the overall size of each side?

Thanks

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #6,221 of 18,459
Well I got my phoenix today and she makes the LCD-2 sound like its had a few coffees... dynamic range is seemingly a fair bit better. Bass is perhaps less than it was with the concerto, but the highs are much more pronounced. The LCD-2 are starting to sound A LOT more stat like to these ears with this amp... but with bass!

Not entirely sure it is what I wanted, as the bass does seem to be missing a tad, but the benefits in soundstage and slam have been pretty remarkable. Sadly these impressions are very limited due to the fact I no longer have my lovely concerto with me.

My balanced source and cable should be here by Wednesday so I will have more impressions to give... but for those who were worried the the "dark" phoenix + the "dark" LCD-2 would be problematic this couldn't be further from the truth. From my sources (NAD 525BEE + oppe DVD player) it is not dark at all... maybe even a bit on the bright site.

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #6,222 of 18,459

Quote:
Well I got my phoenix today and she makes the LCD-2 sound like its had a few coffees... dynamic range is seemingly a fair bit better. Bass is perhaps less than it was with the concerto, but the highs are much more pronounced. The LCD-2 are starting to sound A LOT more stat like to these ears with this amp... but with bass!

Not entirely sure it is what I wanted, as the bass does seem to be missing a tad, but the benefits in soundstage and slam have been pretty remarkable. Sadly these impressions are very limited due to the fact I no longer have my lovely concerto with me.

My balanced source and cable should be here by Wednesday so I will have more impressions to give... but for those who were worried the the "dark" phoenix + the "dark" LCD-2 would be problematic this couldn't be further from the truth. From my sources (NAD 525BEE + oppe DVD player) it is not dark at all... maybe even a bit on the bright site.

I´d wait for the burn in before complaining of thinner bass.

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #6,223 of 18,459
one thing is certain, sokolov91, the LCD-2 shows what is going on upstream.
which also means it responds to small tweaks...

for my setup:  i rolled tubes, changed interconnects, and upgraded the stock LCD-2 cable, and voila!  LCD-2 is now a more open, airy headphone.

of course, it still sounds like the LCD-2 by some degree, but much better...

Nov 1, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #6,225 of 18,459

Quote:
Alex very glad you are enjoying the new amp. When you get the dac it should all come together.

Much appreciated Frank and I really hope so!

I will answer your PM when I get home from work.

One thing is sure though... the LCD-2 are keepers. A pity I might have to sell off my D7000, but I am in no way nervous to only have one headphone... so long as it is the LCD-2 :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back