Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Oct 26, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #6,061 of 18,459

Quote:
You should hear my O1's. They have some of the sweetest midrange I've ever heard. They are not good for fast rock...they're not fast enough.
But for Classical, Jazz, and Acoustic Rock, they will blow away any Lambda, including my SR-Lambda Pros.

I have those Omegas as well.
tongue.gif
 To say they aren't "fast enough" for fast rock is IMO ridiculous, but what bands in particular are we talking so I can listen?  The midrange is pretty sublime, we can agree.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #6,066 of 18,459

Quote:
Definitely true, but my speakers have a pretty big roll off after 100hz or so, so I can't really use them for dub purposes. Its no fun without the almost subsonic bass :p. The LCD-2 are pretty damned satisfying but yes speakers are much better do to the air in your lungs vibrating LMAO.

I tried it with the ED 8 and I did preferr it musically. Let me feel the music more and preferr the tone of it despite the LCD-2 is digging deeper. Closer to what the music makers are after I believe and closer to the experience with my speaker system.

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #6,067 of 18,459

Quote:
Because they can charge more for a cable for a 1k headphone than they can for a $350 headphone. 

I think it was a rhetorical question... And the reality is, as they have proved, they can pretty much charge anything for a cable and people will buy.

Quote:
I tried it with the ED 8 and I did preferr it musically. Let me feel the music more and preferr the tone of it despite the LCD-2 is digging deeper. Closer to what the music makers are after I believe and closer to the experience with my speaker system.

who knows, but I wouldn't disagree. The stuff is meant to be played at raves so you are probably right. Since no headphone is going to bring me to a rave ill stick with my LCD-2 :p. The D7000 more than do the songs justice though.

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #6,068 of 18,459
I've yet to come across any speaker that con produce bass as tightly controlled as hi-end headphones.  All speakers I have ever heard had serious issues with room resonance interfering with bass linearity.  I've yet to hear a woofer able to create sub bass as tightly as hi-end cans also - the physics of moving a giant cone at high amplitudes, I believe is the main culprit.  I'm sure there are stupendously expensive bass drivers with stupendously powered amplifiers out there that can match, though I've yet to hear one in my experiences.  Chest thumping bass can produced by any large cone moving in sufficient amplitude and frequency, regardless of how tightly controlled the bass transients are.

Prior to my experiences with the LCD2s...I never believed it was actually possible that current audio reproduction technologies could reproduce, with tonal, timbral and amplitude accuracy, the music from an Italian V12, German V10 or a Detroit V8.

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #6,069 of 18,459

Quote:
I've yet to come across any speaker that con produce bass as tightly controlled as hi-end headphones.  All speakers I have ever heard had serious issues with room resonance interfering with bass linearity.  I've yet to hear a woofer able to create sub bass as tightly as hi-end cans also - the physics of moving a giant cone at high amplitudes, I believe is the main culprit.  I'm sure there are stupendously expensive bass drivers with stupendously powered amplifiers out there that can match, though I've yet to hear one in my experiences.  Chest thumping bass can produced by any large cone moving in sufficient amplitude and frequency, regardless of how tightly controlled the bass transients are.

Prior to my experiences with the LCD2s...I never believed it was actually possible that current audio reproduction technologies could reproduce, with tonal, timbral and amplitude accuracy, the music from an Italian V12, German V10 or a Detroit V8.

The Quads don't dip below 40Hz, but they have incredibly tight, solid and tuneful bass.  Some of the best bass I've ever heard.  Have you had a chance to hear a pair?

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #6,070 of 18,459

Quote:

Haha.  Do you have good recordings of these?  I'd like to hear a nice recording of an Enfield motorcycle in good condition.  There's nothing like that pup pup pup pup pup pup

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #6,071 of 18,459
One time I listened to this pair of speakers, Cello Grand Master, playing drums about 15 ft away from the speakers.  It was very close to the sound of a real drum set. It was awesome.

Quote:

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #6,072 of 18,459
I wouldn't normally write same-day impressions but this is totally called for IMO: I bought the Avenson Audio Headphone Amp (that's what it's literally called, no other model designation) which arrived today and I couldn't wait to set it up and listen with the LCD-2.

WOW! This amp beats the pants off the M3 as far as driving the LCD-2! I'm seriously impressed - no, make that blown away! I can't believe I was putting up with the M3 - the Avenson is mind-blowing! For the first time I feel like I'm truly hearing the LCD-2's potential!

I could come up with more superlatives but none of them would really describe my reaction. And I thought I'd have to settle with the Schiit Asgard. The Avenson blows that amp away too!!!

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #6,073 of 18,459

Quote:
I wouldn't normally write same-day impressions but this is totally called for IMO: I bought the Avenson Audio Headphone Amp (that's what it's literally called, no other model designation) which arrived today and I couldn't wait to set it up and listen with the LCD-2.

WOW! This amp beats the pants off the M3 as far as driving the LCD-2! I'm seriously impressed - no, make that blown away! I can't believe I was putting up with the M3 - the Avenson is mind-blowing! For the first time I feel like I'm truly hearing the LCD-2's potential!

I could come up with more superlatives but none of them would really describe my reaction. And I thought I'd have to settle with the Schiit Asgard. The Avenson blows that amp away too!!!

I'm impressed that you are blown away by anything that makes you post about it right away - you seem so laid back, mellow and cautious most of the time (something many others should learn).  Where did you hear about the Avenson Audio headphone Amp and what features made you decide to purchase it?

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #6,074 of 18,459

Quote:

The Quads don't dip below 40Hz, but they have incredibly tight, solid and tuneful bass.  Some of the best bass I've ever heard.  Have you had a chance to hear a pair?

No, never had a chance to hear anything other than whats available in Australian retail outlets...the Quads are a planar magnetic technology, am I correct?  When it is time for me to venture into speakers I am certain I will forgo conventional drivers for planar magnetic or electrostats, at least thats what my experience with headphones is telling me.  40hz isn't to difficult to accomplish...but to extend down to 20hz with less than 1db variation would be only in the realm of big expensive speakers, I'd imagine...and to do it with precision is another story again...I think.  My experiences with hi-end speakers is limited to what I can audition in retail outlets...and know I can't afford any of them anytime soon!!!

Quote:
Haha.  Do you have good recordings of these?  I'd like to hear a nice recording of an Enfield motorcycle in good condition.  There's nothing like that pup pup pup pup pup pup

No I don't have any specific engine recordings...its really only an educated guess when watching movies which generally have very poorly recorded audio...Just the way the LCD2s can so accurately reproduce a kick drum with high amplitude gives me a clue as to how well it can do an engine with no exhaust attached...the throbbing growls would be less of a challenge transient wise...but a real challenge in terms of amplitude response.  The LCD2s have all the "air" in the sub bass and an amplitude of 15 watts  might be enough to take up this challenge.  Speakers would need probably 1kw to power the bass drivers I reckon?  Its like hearing a semi trailer or a diesel freight train flying past at 100kmh...to reproduce that accurately would be the biggest challenge of any audio system.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #6,075 of 18,459
Finally received my tracking number. They have been shipped on yesterday. Hope the guy where i bought them amp (from china) has already shipped it too. Or else i´ll have the audeze in my hand without being able to amp them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back