Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Oct 16, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #5,881 of 18,459
HPA, is that the sr71b that you tried? I am so jealous and wanted so bad to hear the new RSA balanced portable. Can you give some thought as to how the SR71b improved on the Protector? Thanks.

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #5,882 of 18,459
Hi there,

I have the LCD-2 since two weeks, and have been listening a lot wih them.
First I thought they were deffective, because I really didn't like how they sound (too congested).
But it seems they are ok, and it's only a matter of taste.

When I compare them to my Stax 2050 or even my DT770, I really think the LCD2 lack air and space.
It's bother me because with some classical music, piano notes don't seem to breathe enough, and kinda resonate.

But the reason I'm still not decided to keep them or not, is that I use them without amp.
Do you think the sound can really be better with a Concerto for exemple ?

Other wise, I really love the built quality They definitely are piece of artwork
gs1000.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #5,883 of 18,459
They require an amp

Quote:
But the reason I'm still not decided to keep them or not, is that I use them without amp.

Other wise, I really love the built quality They definitely are piece of artwork
gs1000.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #5,884 of 18,459
I was not on the email list.  But checking mine also have the cracked block on the left side.  I just emailed Audeze.  I am sure they will send replacements, but man, these quality control issues are frustrating.....mostly because I love the sound of these phones so much....

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #5,886 of 18,459
You have the Auditor and V200 in your sig. Particularly the V200 is fully capable of driving the LCD-2 and both having a signature to enhance the instrument separation I feel. Even though I didn´t keep those I wouldn´t say they lacked space or air compared to the amps I preferred for the LCD-2. Mayby get an equalizer instead perhaps or try changing your source?

The LCD-2 will take some time to fully adjust to. They will probably never be the most airy headphone ever. It was a long time now since I found it compressed or dark sounding though. T1 got just to bright though so sold that one and the Pro 900 also get limited time due to the change in treble energy is to big to deal with. I preferr the LCD-2s presentation feel more balanced then those headphones ever did.

As for piano it´s stupendously good on the GHP for the LCD-2. Auditor and V200 I didn´t listen to piano that much. But your STAX or DT 770 must really be something special if it does piano better
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Hi there,

I have the LCD-2 since two weeks, and have been listening a lot wih them.
First I thought they were deffective, because I really didn't like how they sound (too congested).
But it seems they are ok, and it's only a matter of taste.

When I compare them to my Stax 2050 or even my DT770, I really think the LCD2 lack air and space.
It's bother me because with some classical music, piano notes don't seem to breathe enough, and kinda resonate.

gs1000.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #5,887 of 18,459
They realised there was an issue and are proactively sending out new blocks to everyone in the affected batches. I'm not sure what more you'd want from the company. They are just a small startup so there are inevitably going to be some teething issues. They are learning as they go and when they eventually release an LCD-3, they will be able to take advantage of all the lessons they learned with LCD-2 to have a better product at the outset.   

Quote:
I was not on the email list.  But checking mine also have the cracked block on the left side.  I just emailed Audeze.  I am sure they will send replacements, but man, these quality control issues are frustrating.....mostly because I love the sound of these phones so much....

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #5,888 of 18,459
I ordered a Reference 7 and Phoenix to run my LCD-2 on. 

I also ordered a balanced cable from Audeze...

needless to say I am ODing on excitement right now. 

You guys can count on some impressions when everything has arrived and set up.

My beloved Corda Concerto will be going up for sale when the Phoenix arrives, so if anyone wants dibs, PM me. If it was a balanced amp, I would have just bought the DAC on its own, but its not and I can't afford to have both!

hopefully the liquidation of my inventory to get the most out of my LCD-2 will be everything I hope it will be.

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #5,889 of 18,459
Just a bit frustrating.  I received scratched cups in shipping on my first pair.  They sent me a new pair right away.  Awesome service.  I have NO issues with Audeze.  It is just a bit frustrating.  There is NO excuse for Sennheiser.....they should be able to able to produce  a much superior phone given there history.....I love the HD650, not so much 800...
If an LCD3 comes out, I will order them right away....

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #5,890 of 18,459

Quote:
HPA, is that the sr71b that you tried? I am so jealous and wanted so bad to hear the new RSA balanced portable. Can you give some thought as to how the SR71b improved on the Protector? Thanks.

The new portable SR-71b does indeed expand on the soundstage even further, and power is noticeably higher.  It's possible to drive my Protector into distorting at high volumes much more easily than the new SR-71b balanced portable, which could play full size phones insanely loud without distortion.  Yet it also got along well with my very sensitive Westone ES5, both in terms of gain and sound.  

I am guessing from the PCB size that it will be about 1/2" wider and deeper than the Protector (maybe 2/3" wider), so not a lot bigger; but if size is important the Protector might still be a better idea.  If I had to pick based on sound I'd pick the new balanced amp, but if I had to pick based on size to mate with my 8Gb Nano 3G with LOD and lossless music then the Protector is a better size match.  

I really thought it was a good match sonically with the LCD-2 and balanced silver dragon cable.  I'm assuming that not only can one buy an adapter to mate it with a small balanced DAC like the Neko D100, Lavry DA10/11 or Apogee mini-DAC, but that one could easily adapt the iBasso balanced portable DAC (boomslang) to work with it.  However, even with an iPod LOD as source the SR-71b exceeded the Protector by a small degree with my ES5 custom IEM.  

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #5,891 of 18,459

Quote:
Skylab, I just received my ALO chain mail cable. I am very interested in your take as to the difference between the stock cable and the ALO cable. Thanks.

I think it improves the sound slightly, for sure.  The treble seems to open up in a pleasant, useful, and non-fatiguing way.  But it's subtle.  One cannot do instantaneous switches between cables, but at least level-matching is easy
biggrin.gif
  In doing some comparing, I do prefer the ALO, although the additional weight requires me to "dress" the cable in a certain way so it doesn't add a lot of pressure.

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #5,892 of 18,459

Quote:
Thanks for confirming.
Are all mini 4 pin XLR shorted like this?

No, the pins are useful in situation that 4 individual signal connections are required.  As headphone driver only need 2 connections ( i.e. Live & Ground ), presumably the factory elected to use 2 pins for each connection for improved contact resistance, and less chance in loosen male-female pin contacts during usage ...  

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #5,893 of 18,459
OK thanks again for the advice.
As cables do not seem to make a major difference and I want to balance them as well as having a preferance for silver I will make my own in due course.

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #5,894 of 18,459

Quote:
I ordered a Reference 7 and Phoenix to run my LCD-2 on. 

I also ordered a balanced cable from Audeze...

needless to say I am ODing on excitement right now. 

You guys can count on some impressions when everything has arrived and set up.

My beloved Corda Concerto will be going up for sale when the Phoenix arrives, so if anyone wants dibs, PM me. If it was a balanced amp, I would have just bought the DAC on its own, but its not and I can't afford to have both!

hopefully the liquidation of my inventory to get the most out of my LCD-2 will be everything I hope it will be.

Congrats.  I have ordered the REF7 and await a shootout with the Bryston before commiting to the Phoenix.  Ultimately I hope the REF 7 is as good as I hope, I can then liquidate the Bryston and every other source and amp I own to free funds for the Phoenix and possibly a hi end tube amp.  I am firmly convinced the LCD2s are worth the effort in building a system around them.  To be able to enjoy them on the couch with a remote control would be nirvana to me.  They really are that good...

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #5,895 of 18,459
Skylab:

Thanks for your feeback. I have the ALO cable in balance mode and I know you are not a balance guy. But I notice much more changes when compare to the stock cable than you may have noticed. May be that is due to the balance operation. My LCD-2 now is a lot more open and tight. The distance to the source is also perfect. I think there is more air in the mid to upper mid (which I really liked) and better sound stage also. I also do not know if the increase power in balance operation has anything to do with it or not, but bass impact is starting to have some viceral impact. I like to listen on the loud side and it seems to me each vocal note is fuller and has more body to it. It is getting very close to my ideal SQ where I may not think I can improve any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back