Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Sep 22, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #5,221 of 18,459

Quote:
However, if you can hang onto the KGSS for another 2-3 months I might be able to buy the amp from you (or trade for it).  
tongue_smile.gif

Trade you say, looks over profile, ZDT, hmm
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #5,222 of 18,459

Quote:
Solude, it's only a guess but perhaps your first pair was wired wrongly resulting in a reversed polarity.

Nah, my DAC has a button for that.  My guess is the driver itself is detached and floating.  Think what you might hear if you grabbed a closed set and held them up to your head without a seal.

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #5,223 of 18,459

Quote:
If the O2/KGSS is the best sounding system you have, why would you sell it? Isn't the goal to have the best sound possible and then keep that for as long as it remains the best--until something else beats it?

Keeping in mind I haven't done any cross listening and only have four hours on my LCD-2...

Nothing is perfect, O2 included.  Is it the best rig I've had not including my current orthos?  Yes.  Is it better than the Senn 800 for me... yes.  Are there things I'd change, yes but they aren't show stoppers.  That said I also like the HE-5LE and LCD-2 and likewise there are things I 'd change there too.

Will say this though, if I sell, it won't be a fire sale.  My KGSS is mint with a single 4ch DACT and my O2 just returned from the UK where it was fitted with new pads and cable... effectively like new condition and its an Mk I
biggrin.gif
 Bypassing the four month wait on the KGSS helps too
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #5,224 of 18,459
I can´t understand people that can live with a one and only sound system anyway. If the goal is musical enjoyment. Particularly not headphones that is always compromises
smily_headphones1.gif
Changes now and then is so incredibly rewarding

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #5,225 of 18,459

Quote:

Will say this though, if I sell, it won't be a fire sale.  My KGSS is mint with a single 4ch DACT and my O2 just returned from the UK where it was fitted with new pads and cable... effectively like new condition and its an Mk I
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//biggrin.gif" title="
biggrin.gif
" width="" />  Bypassing the four month wait on the KGSS helps too
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//wink.gif" title="
wink.gif
" width="" />.

Some other lucky person will be the new owner. I sort of have my heart set on the mk2 and the 717, since I will likely be able to just fly to Taiwan while on personal business to pick them up and not have to pay the crazy import tax and international shipping if I went with the KGSS and mk1.  From all the things others have posted about the mk1 and mk2 and comparisons between the KGSS and the 717, it seems like I'll actually prefer the coloration of the mk2 and 717 combo. That is combo I heard a few months ago and fell in love with anyway, so I already know the sound. The so-called coloration on the combo actually makes it sound rich and full-bodied, which is something I love. I'd be a little concerned about the darker sounding treble, but the more objective members seems to agree that the KGSS might be a bit airier , bit the difference is by no means significant or dramatic. I know how much audiophiles love to use hyperbole to describe minute differences, so I tend to believe them.

But I'm not saying my curiosity for hearing a mk1 with a KGSS isn't killing me. I really wish I lived near someone who has that rig.

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #5,226 of 18,459

Quote:
Was mulling that over yesterday and this evening.  I about 70% sure I'm going to put up the O2/KGSS rig whether the HE-5LE/LCD-2/T1 beat it or not.  I used to know a guy here who used to swap out his entire rig year after year.  Source in the spring, speakers in the fall, amps in the winter over and over and not always top tier.  Seemed more about getting to experience a lot of different gear than striving for the particular sound.  Since I was still building up to top tier it didn't make sense.  Now after four plus years with the same top tier rig... I think I get it
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//wink.gif" title="
wink.gif
" width="" />

That’s a crazy canuck right there :¬Â

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #5,227 of 18,459
Quote:
I sort of have my heart set on the mk2 and the 717, since I will likely be able to just fly to Taiwan while on personal business to pick them up and not have to pay the crazy import tax and international shipping if I went with the KGSS and mk1.  

IMH0, the Stax MkI and the S/S 717's output are very boring, as with the KGSS. But that's just me. The Mark I is a very dark headphone, so coming form the LCD-2 they have no similarities. I have bought 2 separate O2's hoping that they would win me over, but they did not. THE LCD-2 and the HD800 and the T-1's are different animals. The 007t and the Mk 100's version I  is expensive  and you would need to invest in another expensive amp to power them properly. If you want to find something comparative to the Audeze's you'd need a Aristaeus or a Blue Hawaii. Anything else would be a big let down.
The LCD-2 has a long learning curve, which if, you are willing, is worth the price of admission.
Of course, this is only my opinion, YMMV. But other's have expressed the same feelings. It's a large investment that doesn't yield large gains.
I think that spending $5K can better well be spent if you look around and are trying to find a headphone/amp combo to compete with the or compliment the LCD-2's.

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #5,228 of 18,459

Quote:
I can´t understand people that can live with a one and only sound system anyway. If the goal is musical enjoyment. Particularly not headphones that is always compromises
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />.
Changes now and then is so incredibly rewarding

It's sort of like having one wife. Multiple wives would be the cat's meow and you would never tire of having just one system, but whether it's money or the law that's the motivator, we live with what's within our bounds.

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #5,229 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

yeah.  my woo stand just doesn't work.  the radius of the woo stand is different from the headband of the LCD-2.  and, the sharp edges of the woo stand leave huge impressions in the headband.
so, i have a soft cloth on my desk, and i set the LCD-2 down on that when its not in use.
it'll do for now, but like you Lunatique, i'm looking for a workable solution...

I see the same problem with my Woo stand. Sucks, doesn't it... This Sennheiser stand totally fits the bill for me. The padding on it actually compliments the padding on the LCD-2, so it seems to work perfectly.

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/miscellaneous/sennheiser-headphone-holder.php

My rig again (posted earlier in this thread):

builder/Field/Input/Email.php

\
builder/Field/Input/Number.php \
builder/Field/Input/Tel.php \
tests/builders/Field/Input/Email.php \
tests/builders/Field/Input/Number.php \
tests/builders/Field/Input/Tel.php

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #5,230 of 18,459
I received the LCD2 a week ago. It is a great headphone just like everyone said here but I don't know if I prefer them to HD800/O2. LCD2 is a bit too dark for me and lacks that last bit of sparkle I get from both HD800 and O2 (even though O2 isn't really a bright headphone). Maybe I need a better amp for them but for right now I will keep HD800 and O2. I will probably have to let LCD2 go very soon. 

And also, LCD2 is not as light/comfortable as other headphones I have and had. I definitely feel some pressure and discomfort after awhile.

Sep 22, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #5,231 of 18,459
I do n not believe these headphone are dark IMO. I have been getting some more wow moments especially on well recorded jazz vocals and especially with female vocals. My CSP-2  has great synergy with the LCD and I feel with the other cans I have this will probably finalize my system for a long time. The planar is very close in sound quality that I get from my Maggie's/ What is really nice is that Audeze has managed to put full range bass in a planar which is a major achievement and also make them tube friendly and ver easy to drive. Call me impressed.

Sep 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #5,232 of 18,459
I'm using the Koss Hold-a-fone for my headphones (the large one). I might get a couple of the Sennheiser ones though as my headphones are almost bumping up against the amps on my rack with the Koss.

I'm starting to wonder, from my own experiences, if people who feel they are a bit dark for their tastes turned up a volume a bit when listening, what they'd feel.  I did this myself and the music came alive.

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #5,233 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm using the Koss Hold-a-fone for my headphones (the large one). I might get a couple of the Sennheiser ones though as my headphones are almost bumping up against the amps on my rack with the Koss.

I'm starting to wonder, from my own experiences, if people who feel they are a bit dark for their tastes turned up a volume a bit when listening, what they'd feel.  I did this myself and the music came alive.

They definitely sound amazing when played loud, and it quickly cures the slightly recessed highs... however I have no qualms listening at medium to low volumes and never find them particularly dark... they just are not bright like many a headphone is.

Well recoded music + powerful amp + some decent volume levels = why bother going to a concert :p

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #5,234 of 18,459

Quote:

Yeah I've been noticing that quite a bit in general.  Sometimes my reading leaves me to wonder what volumes some people base their impressions or reviews on.

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #5,235 of 18,459

Quote:

Well recoded music + powerful amp + some decent volume levels = why bother going to a concert :p

Such as it should be w/ a good phone.  
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back