Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Sep 16, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #4,877 of 18,459

Quote:
great to hear, frank!
looks like you and i have found a good stable mate for our T1s! 
beerchug.gif

They certainly are a very good headphone. I need to sell one of my cans. Figured in couple of weeks or so I will have a handle on what goes. I wish I could keep them all but its not practical and I do not need 4 cans. I like this one but still need to AB the T1 but its better than the denon but nowhere as comfortable

Sep 16, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #4,878 of 18,459

I'm sorry, but I don't trust anybody's opinion on a pair of headphones they listened to in a foreign environment for a couple of hours....let alone something you heard a few months ago...  People's memory of headphones isn't really that good and a lot of generalizations are made based on vague memories of sonic impressions.

To me the only way to truly trust someone's opinion of a comparison is through a straight A/B testing.

I owned a KGSS / 717 with O2 combo for a couple months some time ago...and even though I remember not loving the combo back in the day...I wouldn't make a direct comparison to a pair of headphones that I have now.  I remember the basic feel of my O2 setup and general sonic characterics, but not in depth things like exact bass impact, detail retreival, etc. etc.

Quote:
Yes, I tested the 007MKII for about three hours in a private listening room a few months ago when I reserved a chunk of listening time with a well-known headphone retailer in Taipei, and I tested some high-end dynamics against it (HD800, DX1000, W1000X, Alessandro Pro, and D7000). I definitely want to make sure that special magic I heard from the 007MKII is repeatable and not just because I lost my sanity on that day or something. That's why I'll be taking the LCD2 with me to Taiwan again to do another round of testing to be totally sure. If I hear the same magic like last time, then I'll know for sure.

Sep 16, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #4,880 of 18,459

Quote:
You think you won't what?
confused.gif

I think rhythmdevils is trying to talk himself out of buying them after his AKG move.

I'm excited about tomorrow. I got a call from my office 10 minutes ago about an emergency call, and I said to myself, "damn, it happens everytime", but it was an emergency call for Monday.

Phew! Work is always trying to get in my way of good clean fun. Life gets in the way, sometimes. 
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #4,883 of 18,459

Well, I don't know quite what on God's green earth Lunatique heard with the 02 but if it makes the LCD-2 sound that bad I don't think I want to even hear it!

LCD-2 don't sound bad, it's just that the O2 are better.

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #4,884 of 18,459
Lunatique: Thanks for the comprehensive write-up of your impressions.

I'm feeling that sometimes I miss more conventionally-sounding headphones and am currently listening with my Symphones Magnums.  It's likely a mood thing, as I found myself doing this before often (I'll be listening only with Stax for a while shortly I'm sure) but I did find myself listening a bit louder than usual with the LCD-2s to get the impact I wanted from some kinds of music.

I'm guessing the LCD-2s vs. HE-6s is going to be very much a HD-650 vs. HD-600 thing in the future.

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #4,886 of 18,459
Why didn't SP Wild's constant comparisons to the O2 and HD800 under similar or (actually) worse conditions get you guys to post so dismissively?

Is it because one person didn't think the LCD2 was the greatest thing ever?

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #4,887 of 18,459
I can't comment for other people but I know in my mind the fact that SP Wild has promoted the LCD-2 so vehemently removes him as a reliable source.   

Quote:
Why didn't SP Wild's constant comparisons to the O2 and HD800 under similar or (actually) worse conditions get you guys to post so dismissively?

Is it because one person didn't think the LCD2 was the greatest thing ever?

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #4,888 of 18,459
Lunatique's position makes perfect sense to me. He heard and liked a headphone, then went out searching for OTHER headphones that he wanted to sound like the headphone he heard that he liked so much. Seems like a tall order to fill and no headphone will satisfy him till he gets his own Stax system. Going back over the review he really didn't find anything faulty with the LCD, he just said they were lacking that special something he heard with the Stax. No problem there.

And how can you guys say he can't judge or make a decision with a headphone he hasn't heard for months? If he can't remember the particulars of the headphone, he can certainly remember being blown away, mesmerized, etc. If that didn't or won't happen with the LCD why should he settle for less? Then again the LCDs may grow on him. I wasn't amazed at the outset.

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #4,889 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't trust anybody's opinion on a pair of headphones they listened to in a foreign environment for a couple of hours....let alone something you heard a few months ago...  People's memory of headphones isn't really that good and a lot of generalizations are made based on vague memories of sonic impressions.

To me the only way to truly trust someone's opinion of a comparison is through a straight A/B testing.

Memory loss in headphones is a very real, and unfortunately it is a big barrier when doing comparisons. Even the time it takes to volume match 2 headphones gives cause for false interpretations when doing a 2 headphone shootout.

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #4,890 of 18,459
I just received my LCD2 and is taking a very initial listening to all my familiar songs. I have been using the HD800 w/ SAA vocie recable running in balance mode to HR BUDA. In terms of comfort, the LCD2 is very nice, but I still have not gotten use to the increase weight of the LCD2. The HD800 is much more comfortable in comparison. The LCD2 feels topnotch in terms of workmanship and presentation. Love the beautiful wooden box. Just my initial reaction to the LCD2 sound, I fine it is more involving than the HD800, bass is better than the 800, but I feel a little more fatigue listening to the LCD when compare to the 800. At this point the sound is a little bloated and I hope it will be gone after some burn in. I also have the ALO balance cable coming. At this point, it seems my 800 is little smoother, more detail and comfortable to use for longer period of time. But I will post followup impression after more burn in with balance cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back