Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 30, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #4,187 of 18,459
Good, well-balanced review Gu Sensei. 
smile.gif

Regarding your wish for a bit mod mid-bass and treble, I did find it took a little while to adapt to the more "flat" tone of the LCD-2s.

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #4,188 of 18,459
Thanks for the comparative review Gu Sensei. Very informative.

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #4,189 of 18,459
Thanks GU it seems like we here alike. X2 on just about everything.  In particular regarding soundstage, sibilance and slightly darkish. Treble you can definiatly get with equalizing :)

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #4,190 of 18,459
gu-sensei
 I have not felt that any other headphones I have owned are quite on the same technical level as the HD800s but to me, these are without question.

one of the main goals in headphone engineering is to reduce weight ,how much does the HD-800 weight against LCD-2

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #4,192 of 18,459
Thank you GU Sensei . Your impressions were the best post here to date. You gave a very vivid and honest evaluation and it give IMO people a good idea of what to expect when ordering these headphones. I for one am very anxious to hear and post my impressions as well albeit I have the T1 and D7000. It will be interesting with the comparison to both the T1 and D7000. Two cans very different and yet for me are complimentary. I look forward to more members posting their hones opinions and kudos go to GU for such a great impression.

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #4,194 of 18,459
Same here!  Very, very well done Greg.  Nice review.

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #4,195 of 18,459

Quote:
Thank you GU Sensei . Your impressions were the best post here to date. You gave a very vivid and honest evaluation and it give IMO people a good idea of what to expect when ordering these headphones. I for one am very anxious to hear and post my impressions as well albeit I have the T1 and D7000. It will be interesting with the comparison to both the T1 and D7000. Two cans very different and yet for me are complimentary. I look forward to more members posting their hones opinions and kudos go to GU for such a great impression.

As Frank commented, I completely agree! GU Sensei, one word on your review..."refreshing".

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #4,197 of 18,459
Great review GU Sensei, it is nice to have some more perspective on the LCD-2. I especially enjoyed the comparison to the HD800 and D7000, two cans I have not had the pleasure of auditioning. Now we need to add a T1, HE-5/6, PS1000, and ED8/10 to the mix. Mostly T1 and HE-6 IMO.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #4,199 of 18,459
I'll echo the praise for Gu Sensei and the most helpful info I've yet to find on the LCD-2. Great comparison to the HD800. I've not heard the LCD-2 yet but owned the HD800 for a bit and my impressions mirrored yours. Thank you.

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #4,200 of 18,459

Quote:
Some people have hearing loss, are older, etc etc....is kind of what I was getting at.

HEY!  I resemble that remark!  I certainly don't hear as well as I did even a few years ago, and one of my ears hears no signal over about 6,000Hz.  Doesn't mean I don't appreciate recorded music though.

IMHO, the goal of music reproduction is to give one the illusion of being present at the original "live" event (not sure what goes on with multi-track electronica tho).  The key word here, for me, is ILLUSION.  As in, it's all just a trick to fool your brain.  I've never heard a stereo system anywhere that could perform this illusion faultlessly.  I was present for a couple of the fabled AR exhibits where they had musicians "pretend" to play while the music came from behind a curtain where AR speakers were playing...  This was in like 1968.  Fun stuff.

I guess Lincoln was right, some people are more easily fooled than others.  This year I've been lucky enough to attend live musical performances almost every week.  Even though I've got over $20,000 invested in my main stereo system, there's no way I've ever been fooled into thinking it was the same as a real event, at least, not for the kind of music I mostly listen to (classical, blues, folk, and stuff like that).  Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, but claims about frequency response, noise, distortion, etc. have never had much relationship to how musically satisfying the illusion can be.  And since all this technology is in service of an illusion, who's to say my illusion is better than yours?  We're both being deceived, after all. 

OTOH, I do appreciate any technology that get's me closer to the event.  The fewer artifacts that catch my attention, and the more I'm just drawn into the music to the point that I forget the source...  That's what I want my headphones to do for me.  If I can make the emotional connection and forget all else, this has become a wonderful event for me.  Based on my brief LCD-2 audtion, I think they will work to accomplish this for me, when mine finally make their way onto my waiting ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back