Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jun 12, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #1,801 of 18,459

Quote:
. So far, they kind of remind me of HD650's with a deeper bass. 

But 3 times the price. That's not a good analogy. Now I'm worried.

Quote:
 The only thing, as mentioned, are the xlr pins keep hitting my collar bone and doesn't allow me to move freely. 

Not happy with that problem either.

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #1,802 of 18,459
I don't have the same problem with the collar bone / cable interaction, but the margin for error is slim - half an inch more and it would be a problem.

Jun 12, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #1,804 of 18,459
I for one am a little excited about it having a similar sonic signature as the HD650 (if that is at all true). I have the HD800 and sorely miss my old HD650s even though the 800 are much more technically superior. To me the 650s had this great tone to them once recabled and were just a great can to kick back and listen to music in an engaging and laid back way. If the LCD2 can do that for me but with better detail retrieval, speed, and more balanced sound, I would be very content.

Jun 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #1,805 of 18,459

Quote:
I for one am a little excited about it having a similar sonic signature as the HD650 (if that is at all true). I have the HD800 and sorely miss my old HD650s even though the 800 are much more technically superior. To me the 650s had this great tone to them once recabled and were just a great can to kick back and listen to music in an engaging and laid back way. If the LCD2 can do that for me but with better detail retrieval, speed, and more balanced sound, I would be very content.

No, It's it's own, unique sonic flavor! With infinitely more detail, tone and timber, clarity, speed and dynamics ....if it sounded like a 650 your using the wrong amp, if mine sounded like a 650 I'd shoot myself!  Not an accurate analogy (IMO).....If your missing the 650 buy another (I like the 600 much better), I have two of the 600's, which I'll keep.

The last of the 800's and T1 are going on the chopping block (F'S) late this eve', or early Morn'!!

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #1,807 of 18,459
what's the deal with the huge jacks anyways?  Is there an advantage over mono mini jacks, or the HE5 types, or sennheiser vampire plugs, or the kind AKG uses? 

I thought the Thunderpants sounded similar in balance to the HD650, but everything was better- tone, imaging, detail, speed.  So in the end, they sounded quite different from the 650's.

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #1,808 of 18,459

Quote:
No, It's it's own, unique sonic flavor! With infinitely more detail, tone and timber, clarity, speed and dynamics ....if it sounded like a 650 your using the wrong amp, if mine sounded like a 650 I'd shoot myself!  Not an accurate analogy (IMO).....If your missing the 650 buy another (I like the 600 much better), I have two of the 600's, which I'll keep.

The last of the 800's and T1 are going on the chopping block (F'S) late this eve', or early Morn'!!

The LCD-2 are *that* good? 
ph34r.gif

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #1,809 of 18,459
To me, the LCD-2 revealed what a terrible source the macbook pro is (could be different from yours though) compared to my Arcam CD73.
Quote:
Tried on all 3 amps I have available: D10, MAD Ear+ HD, and Grace m902. 

It actually sounds pretty good straight from macbook pro->D10->LCD2.

edit: i meant that the bass goes deeper than hd650 not that there is more quantity, bass quality is much better. the characteristics are similar yes. they are much faster though, amazing transient response.

Jun 13, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #1,811 of 18,459
After about 8 hours of break in they have lost the dark HD650 quality they had when fresh, now they sound pretty neutral.

Jun 13, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #1,812 of 18,459
OMG!  What amazing measurements.  Looks like I'm a bit late to this huge party!

They seem like my perfect headphones, the treble isn't too pronounced and it has a laid back signature.  Fantastic, looks like they are difficult to obtain.

Jun 13, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #1,813 of 18,459
Yes, it really is that good!

It's not dark in the same way that many see the 6xx, the treble is not prominent but is not muffled, veiled or whatever description people might wish to use. It's all there and very well defined. It's brimming with detail and subtlety without emphasis. Many seem to equate speed and detail with hot treble, not so. These are very, very fast, detailed and yet totally in control and don't need an artificially inflated top end to pull it off. They are full-bodied, full-range and lack nothing. Make no mistake, I love the thunderpants and I would pit them against most other phones confident that, for me, they would win. The LCD is another story. They are easly as good or better than what I like best about the thunderpants. However, the LCD is wide open while the TPs are closed so that means I don't see them competing for my affections, rather complementary depending on listening circumstance.

So yeah, getting awfully close to the fabled true end-game phone. I say close because there's always room for improvement, no matter how small. There are still a number of high-end phones I've yet to sample so I wont go spouting off about these being the best blah, blah....  they are the best *I* have heard to date.

Jun 13, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #1,814 of 18,459
Ok..so maybe they don't sound like the HD650 as much anymore. They sound very well balanced out of the D10. In fact they sound the best so far out of the D10 and I know that's not even near it's full potential. I'm just bummed though..because I thought the m902 and Ear+ HD would be able to drive them adequately.
frown.gif
But when paired with them the imaging and tone seems off and sounds more closed in. The sound (when paired with D10) sure is addicting though..I can only imagine what they would sound like with a better matching amp. 

Jun 13, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #1,815 of 18,459

Quote:
 Make no mistake, I love the thunderpants and I would pit them against most other phones confident that, for me, they would win. The LCD is another story. They are easly as good or better than what I like best about the thunderpants. However, the LCD is wide open while the TPs are closed so that means I don't see them competing for my affections, rather complementary depending on listening circumstance.

Exactly my thoughts!!  
beerchug.gif

Am hoping I'll have my LCD-2 delivered by next weekend. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back