Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 17, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #14,926 of 18,459
They are built well and the wood finish is good.  My first one had a darker wood color, my latest one is more light brown in color.  Not sure what a true 1K headphone should look like, it's my first one.  I definitely don't feel I was shortchanged if that helps.  They come in either an attractive wooden box or the useful travel case.   I like the travel case option.  If you are worried about them making the trip in one piece go with the travel case, it has foam cut out to form fit the LCD.  The wooden box came with paper filling to make sure the headphones didn't move too much.  Not thick cardboard.  I have received two of them, both arrived in good health via FEDEX.  They tied down the drivers to the headphone frame with some plastic straps so they don't move too much in travel.

Quote:
I'm not about to read this entire massive thread so owners of this phone, can you describe for me the fit and finish of these units. Do they look and feel like a 1K phone. Lastly how did they arrive, that is, how was the parcel wrapped, in thick cardboard that will stand the delivery process.

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #14,928 of 18,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alghazanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure. My original pair had "AUDEZE LCD-2" written on the top and this one has "AUDEZ'E AUDIO RESEARCH LABS LCD-2". Will there be any SQ differences, or pads change? I know they're both either classic or rev1, but not sure which.

Another thing is my original had much thicker pads.

No SQ difference until the new drivers which just happened last month. Mine are the same as the picture you posted, the only updates since then are a new stock cable and polymer blocks until last month with the optional leather headband and new drivers. The pads were changed early last winter I think, they became softer and more consistent. There have been a few other changes since the originals were released, besides the lettering and the grill like the improved foam, less tension in the spring steel headband, and the angled connectors. Before the polymer blocks they switched to anodized aluminum. It's impossible to tell from the photo you posted which pads you have but it sounds like you have the new ones since your originals were thicker different.

I think the reason that they didn't go with a new model designation when they updated the drivers was because they cannot get the material for the original drivers any more.

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #14,929 of 18,459
Fit and finish is rather subjective, so I won't go there.

They are shipped in a double box. That is, a big cardboard box containing styrofoam pieces contains another cardboard box which contains the wooden box with the LCD2s in it. I believe the phones are also padded a bit inside the wooden box itself, so there is very little chance of them being damaged.

If you go for the travel case, it looks like they'll be pretty much indestructible in travel.

Quote:
I'm not about to read this entire massive thread so owners of this phone, can you describe for me the fit and finish of these units. Do they look and feel like a 1K phone. Lastly how did they arrive, that is, how was the parcel wrapped, in thick cardboard that will stand the delivery process.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #14,930 of 18,459
Looks like the world will end tonight when we hit 1000 pages, but since I have to work tomorrow, I'm afraid I will have to sleep through and miss it.
Been nice knowing all you folks!

Remember:

THEY ARE COMING!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #14,931 of 18,459

Quote:

No SQ difference until the new drivers which just happened last month. Mine are the same as the picture you posted, the only updates since then are a new stock cable and polymer blocks until last month with the optional leather headband and new drivers. The pads were changed early last winter I think, they became softer and more consistent. There have been a few other changes since the originals were released, besides the lettering and the grill like the improved foam, less tension in the spring steel headband, and the angled connectors. Before the polymer blocks they switched to anodized aluminum. It's impossible to tell from the photo you posted which pads you have but it sounds like you have the new ones since your originals were thicker.

I think the reason that they didn't go with a new model designation when they updated the drivers was because they cannot get the material for the original drivers any more.

Wait, the thinner pads are the new ones?

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #14,932 of 18,459
My classic has darker wood and thinner leather pads. The leather is also not as soft and kind of DIY. The Rev 1 has lighter wood, thicker pads and softer better made leather. FR chart for classic was dated Dec 2010, FR chart for Rev 1 was May 2011.

Hate to add to the confusion but they sound tad different to me. Classic is even more forgiving than Rev 1. Rev 1 sounds like a cross between the classic and Rev 2. May be it's just me. But since it's revision 1, there got to be a version before it right?

Well actually it doesn't matter anymore bcos it's between Rev1 and Rev2 now. Both are wonderful headphones just different in sonic presentation. I'll choose Rev 2 over any of the dynamic driver headphones out there. Period.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #14,933 of 18,459

like i said my job only starts at the end of the month. 

so for those with the concerto+lcd-2, what's your listening volume? i definitely stay on the left of 12 oclock. ranges from 9 oclock to 12 for me. 
Quote:
10-15 hours is a lot. Where do you find the time? Anyway volume should be really really low with those kind of hours.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #14,934 of 18,459
My classic has darker wood and thinner leather pads. The leather is also not as soft and kind of DIY. The Rev 1 has lighter wood, thicker pads and softer better made leather. FR chart for classic was dated Dec 2010, FR chart for Rev 1 was May 2011.

Hate to add to the confusion but they sound tad different to me. Classic is even more forgiving than Rev 1. Rev 1 sounds like a cross between the classic and Rev 2. May be it's just me. But since it's revision 1, there got to be a version before it right?

Well actually it doesn't matter anymore bcos it's between Rev1 and Rev2 now. Both are wonderful headphones just different in sonic presentation. I'll choose Rev 2 over any of the dynamic driver headphones out there. Period.

I completely agree! My original pair were smoother, especially on strings, the second pair that went through the more strenuous testing sound a little more revealing. These were the ones that only lasted a month before the new driver material came.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #14,935 of 18,459
Jul 18, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #14,936 of 18,459
like i said my job only starts at the end of the month. 

so for those with the concerto+lcd-2, what's your listening volume? i definitely stay on the left of 12 oclock. ranges from 9 oclock to 12 for me. 

Totally OT, your avatar bugs the heck out of me :D ! I am sorry if that is you or your girlfriend but I wish she would stop chewing her nail! :D

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #14,938 of 18,459
Quote:

Haha. I guess you're not one of the bajillion people that went to see the Harry Potter movie this weekend.

You know, i have never seen a harry potter movie or read the books, is she something to do with it?

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #14,940 of 18,459
Quote:
You know, i have never seen a harry potter movie or read the books, is she something to do with it?

Yes, it's a picture of the actress that plays the character "Hermione." Her name is Emma Watson. I didn't see the movie either, although I wanted to. Too busy listening to these LCD-2s. I'm obsessed! Only reason I'm awake right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back