Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 17, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #14,896 of 18,459
After reading the last few hundred posts I am curious about the new LCD-2 drivers but not enough to do anything about it. My version was shipped out at the end of last year and it has all of the modern features save the plastic blocks and leather headband. If I want tighter bass, greater detail, more extension and a bigger soundstage I just put on my late-model HD800s and get far superior comfort to boot. My current LCD-2 does not cause me pain in my temples like my "first edition" pair did, but the HD800 are a breath of fresh air in comparison and from what I have read provide a much better sonic contrast. I am now of the belief that I have the very best version of both of these headphones, for me at least.

PS: Perhaps the moderators should consider locking this thread down on page 999 in a last-ditch effort to save the world from the looming hamster invasion 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #14,897 of 18,459
Enjoying the rev2s as much as I enjoyed the rev1s when they were new.  I am running balanced through audio gd stuff and the wolfson DAC chip.  If there is more hi freq detail then it complements my equipment as it is supposed to be "warm".  What I am getting is neutral.  Everything is ultimately recording dependent and some recordings can be fatiguing at certain points and then well produced are bliss but this true for lots of gear.  The experience of hearing new details and nuances in music continues as it did with rev1s.

The headband with leather is more comfortable for me.

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #14,898 of 18,459
The Peak might be right up your alley. It's resolution is uncanny. The reviews are spot on. It doesn't score high for tonal balance, but for separation and resolution, it's near, if not at the top of the list at its price point. As for the tubes, I thought I loved the mouse ears best since it's highs are more recessed and the bass is strong enough, but for the last few days I keep going to the bad boy. Up front and bass heavy. The BT is the resolution king and will deliver the most solid state sound. It's got the tightest bass but not the lowest. I use this one for classical and jazz mostly.   

Quote:
At some when you finalize your favorite tube with the Apex/LCD combo let me know what you decided on.  If I continue on with headphones the Apex is on my tube list (even though it is a hybrid) to complement my solid state side amplification.

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #14,900 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

As has been said before, the SR-007 and LCD-2 R.1 sound similar tonal balance wise.  I'm not sure why it wouldn't suit your tastes if you enjoy LCD-2s?  Have you heard the Omega?  I would think they have the spectrum of preferences covered between the 009 and the Omegas.

I greatly enjoy the LCD2 r1, but never as my only headphone. Also according to the people I've talked to who own/have heard both, they aren't as similar as you say. I haven't heard the O2 myself, however.

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #14,902 of 18,459
For those who've owned both the leather and fabric headband LCD-2s, which of the two is lighter? Is the difference in weight noticeable?

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #14,903 of 18,459

Quote:
PS: Perhaps the moderators should consider locking this thread down on page 999 in a last-ditch effort to save the world from the looming hamster invasion 

Sacrilege......

We need a hamster invasion to thin out the unwashed masses.

On a more serious note, what difference is there  between an R1 with a Norse Audio 8 conductor cable and a R2 with standard cable?

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #14,904 of 18,459

Quote:
For those who've owned both the leather and fabric headband LCD-2s, which of the two is lighter? Is the difference in weight noticeable?

The LCD's are so heavy to begin with I don't think the leather really adds any substantial weight to it and have not noticed.  These cans are HEAVY.   If you have any kind of arthritis in your neck you might want to consider something else.

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #14,905 of 18,459
Am I the only person that doesn't find the LCD-2 heavy at all? They are only 600 grams, "regular" full sized headphones would be around 400 grams. I don't even feel these on after a while.

Quote:
The LCD's are so heavy to begin I don't think the leather really adds any substantial weight to it and have not noticed.  These cans are HEAVY.   If you have any kind of arthritis in your neck you might want to consider something else.

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #14,906 of 18,459
Am I the only person that doesn't find the LCD-2 heavy at all? They are only 600 grams, "regular" full sized headphones would be around 400 grams. I don't even feel these on after a while.

No your not, I don't find these headphones heavy at all!
In fact because they seem to plant themselves on my head I find them the most comfortable headphones I have ever owned

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #14,908 of 18,459
I don't notice the LCDs being that heavy...until I put on the 650s or 325s.  Then it becomes kinda noticeable.

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #14,909 of 18,459
Should I get the Audeze leather headband or not?  How do current owners feel it changed the aesthetics/comfort?  I've been trying to look through the thread for comments but it is too hard to keep up with lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back