Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 16, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #14,716 of 18,459
Quote:

Kwkarth - are you basing that response on having heard the r.2 LCD-2?  My understanding was that is what the OP was asking about. 

I'd say they definitely begin to infringe on my own sensitivity to some aspect of the sound spectrum, or perhaps some other area of presentation is exacerbating that for me with r.2.  That never occurred to me with the r.1.  It is not nearly as bad as the HE-5, which was a full on assault to my hearing and would give me a headache in short order.  But it is a very similar effect...the beginnings of the same kind of fatigue.   It didn't matter what material I was listening to on them, though some might be worse than others, the cumulative effect of listening over time to even a random mix will have this effect with certain cans.  The r.2 most definitely has an edge to it this way for me.  I found if I went in and knocked down a bit of the high-frequencies via an equalizer it did help some. 

That's really pretty depressing.  Thank God for the vintage orthos, which I can tweak to have good frequency response and tone.  I have given up on every single headphone manufacturer at this point...

Jul 16, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #14,717 of 18,459
Sup guys, been testing my lcd2-s for a while now - anyone know if there's a way to test which side is louder? I swear the left side of my lcd's are louder than the right side.

It's not hearing damage, I've tested other headphones and they sound fine. 

It sounds as if the sound is 'slanted' towards the left of my lcd-2.

One interesting fact is that I can feel the fabric cloth on my left ear sometimes (there is contact between the fabric and my ear) but not for my right ear.

If I had to put it in numbers it would be something like: 0.55 - 0.45 (in favour of the left).

Funny thing is, if I press the right side of my lcd-2 towards my head - it still sounds skewed. 

The only way I can get it 'balanced' is to SLIGHTLY lift the left side off of my ear. 

hmm..

Jul 16, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #14,719 of 18,459

Quote:
Reverse the inputs to see if it's that specific driver that's playing up, you can just switch the cables going into the earcups I believe.

Ah thanks so much! Gonna try that right now :)

edit:

Nope - sounds exactly the same. :frowning2:

I don't know why it's affecting my lcd-2's in this way,

imagine this is your (imaginary) headspace / soundstage

this is how it is skewed for me

L | 0 x 0 0 0 | 0 0 x 0 0 | R

R = right ear
L = left ear
X = skewed sound 
:frowning2:

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #14,720 of 18,459
After listening to the LCD2, go to a different headphone.  If you are still getting channel imbalance then you my want to get your hearing checked.  You may have been rockin it too hard.  take a break and let your ears rest.

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #14,722 of 18,459
i was actually suspecting this myself. especially when i turn off crossfeed on my concerto. i'll do some more tests later. it's especially apparent when vocals are involved, since vocals are usually dead centre as opposed to other instruments

Quote:

edit:

R = right ear
L = left ear
X = skewed sound 

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #14,723 of 18,459
OK mY rev 1s finally reached Audeze......lets see how long they take to turn the upgrade around.

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #14,724 of 18,459
Interesting. Bought my LCDs in March and had the same problem - particular with Vocals and tilted to the left side. I feel it got better with additional usage but not gone. I also have a "vacuum like" feeling on the left side that is never on the right side. As if the left side seals air tight while the right side doesn't....

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #14,726 of 18,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryLvl1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

edit:

R = right ear
L = left ear
X = skewed sound 

Is the center skewed to the left as well?

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #14,727 of 18,459
does it happen intermittently? i'm watching a movie now and the voices come from dead centre. I haven't noticed the vacuum thing you mentioned.

I coulda sworn though yesterday when I was listening to Sympathy for the Devil by The Rolling Stones, and Still Haven't Found what I'm Looking For by U2, the voices were panned to the left.

Quote:
Interesting. Bought my LCDs in March and had the same problem - particular with Vocals and tilted to the left side. I feel it got better with additional usage but not gone. I also have a "vacuum like" feeling on the left side that is never on the right side. As if the left side seals air tight while the right side doesn't....

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #14,728 of 18,459
if you're asking about the center stage, the answer is fairly obvious - yes.  in stereo there's only left and right. centre is built from equal volumes on left and right. it shifts with the variance between the 2.

Quote:

Is the center skewed to the left as well?

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #14,729 of 18,459

Quote:
Pah! You guys with your plain old manilla envelopes, me, well I am special ( well my teachers said I had special needs
blink.gif
).

My envelope was made from limited edition outer mongolian Yak skin plated with unobtanium and clasp made from the tusks of the almost extinct Nardwar possum. the lining was hand rolled on the thigh of a Female Russian shot putter. I would take pictures but being so valuable I have it in my bank vault!

Nardwar Possum tusk clasps are so last year.

I take it that the shot putter was a certified Olympic gold medal winner? Although I find it difficult to tell, others have noticed a significant difference when silver and bronze shot putters thighs were used, IIRC it has caused many a bitter argument with regards to the placebo effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back