Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 12, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #14,296 of 18,459
For those who use the LCD2 on a portable amp with 3.5mm plug - do you add an adaptor or get a 3.5mm terminated cable for the LCD2? I am contemplating to use the LCD2 for my office setup (replacing my T5p) with the Stepdance but am afraid that an adaptor may affect the sound. I use a Norse 8 conductor cable for the LCD2 by the way.

I use the Grado adapter and am very happy with it. I keep thinking about getting a custom cable with mini jack termination but I love the sound of my headphones so much I don't want to mess about with that sound by putting another cable in.

I forgot to add, and I know Mike and I go on about this! But if you are going to use the amp as a desk top solution then i really recommend the Energizer 15v mod, you will find, especially with the LCD's it makes a substantial difference. Also, being battery, no mains noise or grain from a cheap walwart adaptor!

Jul 12, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #14,297 of 18,459
Thanks dude.

Two things with the Stepdance I have to deal with before using it with the LCD2:

1. My Stepdance becomes very loud when battery runs out - it literally hurts my ears. Is this due to the fact that I am using a rechargeable battery, or is it because I have a defective Stepdance?

2. The energizer pack mod is great but it seems I have to buy a lot of things from different places. Is there a way I can just buy the whole pack all in one go? I don't mind paying a bit more than the sum of its components. If you have the spare parts for an extra set I certainly would buy it from you. Still, would it solve the problem in 1. above? 

Quote:
I use the Grado adapter and am very happy with it. I keep thinking about getting a custom cable with mini jack termination but I love the sound of my headphones so much I don't want to mess about with that sound by putting another cable in.

I forgot to add, and I know Mike and I go on about this! But if you are going to use the amp as a desk top solution then i really recommend the Energizer 15v mod, you will find, especially with the LCD's it makes a substantial difference. Also, being battery, no mains noise or grain from a cheap walwart adaptor!

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #14,298 of 18,459
Same thing happens with my Hifiman HM-601.  When the battery dies it's not a graceful finish.  There's quite a bit or screeching for a few seconds and then it fades.  Same thing also happens with my battery operated portable mini-speakers.  I don't know the technical reason but there are never any side effects to the equipment.  Charge it up and it's all good.

Quote:
Thanks dude.

Two things with the Stepdance I have to deal with before using it with the LCD2:

1. My Stepdance becomes very loud when battery runs out - it literally hurts my ears. Is this due to the fact that I am using a rechargeable battery, or is it because I have a defective Stepdance?

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #14,299 of 18,459
So I have this 5 grand to spend on headphones... Hmm what should I do? Should I go for a SR009 ooooorrrrr 

Get a pair of LCD-2 , Hifiman HE-6, Sennheiser HD800, Hifiman HE500... man I still have money in my pocket.... 

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #14,301 of 18,459

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they were already working on a lighter version.  I sent two emails to them at the beginning of May saying that I'd sold my previous pair because of their weight aggravating my lower back-condition and asking if they had any plans to make a lighter LCD.

I did not receive a reply to either email. 

And that led you to believe they were working on a lighter version? Maybe you should be an FBI profiler.
o2smile.gif

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #14,304 of 18,459
I can't help you exactly, but I can come close. I have the Rev 1 and Sr-507. I vastly prefer the LCD-2. The 507 is excruciatingly bright. I have to EQ them down 10db around the 11-12k range. Even then I find them to have somewhat piecing and fatiguing sound. It may be the amp. I have an SRM-T1, and have been told the 507 works better off of non STAX amps. Also I am running the LCD-2 off of a Leben CS-300XS. So while the headphones are about the same price the amps are way apart.

I still don't know if another amp would fix the STAX problem. I would like to eventually own a pair of 009, but am definitely not in love with the 507. I would sell it, but I use it for my Realiser, which it does a fantastic job with. 

I honestly have not done an level matched A/B testing between the two, so maybe I will do that an post again. Because of that I can't judge aspects like fine detail or speed, just the more broad characteristics. LCD-2 smooth, SR-507 harsh. Like I said, the amps could have an affect on that end.

Quote:
As I'd like to get a 009, it's way too expensive for me.

On the other hand, if anybody has tried both the Rev.2 LCD-2 and the Stax 507, I'm interested in your findings !

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #14,306 of 18,459

Quote:
So I have this 5 grand to spend on headphones... Hmm what should I do? Should I go for a SR009 ooooorrrrr 

Get a pair of LCD-2 , Hifiman HE-6, Sennheiser HD800, Hifiman HE500... man I still have money in my pocket.... 

http://aloaudio.com/audeze-edition-headphone-system.html

And you can send me the extra $100 as a thank you

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #14,307 of 18,459

lol I know you're being sarcastic, but in that instance, I would definitely take the SR009, since you can literally only listen to one pair of headphones at a time, and if you can get one that beats everything else, why not do that instead of buying 10 inferior phones. 

that said, you guys can continue pwning each other over the 009 vs lcd2 thing. ima kick back and enjoy mine.
Quote:

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #14,308 of 18,459

Quote:
I can't help you exactly, but I can come close. I have the Rev 1 and Sr-507. I vastly prefer the LCD-2. The 507 is excruciatingly bright. I have to EQ them down 10db around the 11-12k range. Even then I find them to have somewhat piecing and fatiguing sound. It may be the amp. I have an SRM-T1, and have been told the 507 works better off of non STAX amps. Also I am running the LCD-2 off of a Leben CS-300XS. So while the headphones are about the same price the amps are way apart.

I still don't know if another amp would fix the STAX problem. I would like to eventually own a pair of 009, but am definitely not in love with the 507. I would sell it, but I use it for my Realiser, which it does a fantastic job with. 

I honestly have not done an level matched A/B testing between the two, so maybe I will do that an post again. Because of that I can't judge aspects like fine detail or speed, just the more broad characteristics. LCD-2 smooth, SR-507 harsh. Like I said, the amps could have an affect on that end.

Did you repaired your T1 ? I'm asking because, although I'm far from a technical wizz, I read that amp parts deteriorate over time, and not just tubes. Other than that, I know nothing about the T1. Otherwise I heard very positive things about the association between the brighter lambdas and the WooAudio GES (supposedly a warmer and more organic amp than most Stax designs). I found the association of the 507 + Stax 323s + your average 1000 euros DAC plagued with digitis to be an awful combination, but when I plugged the 507 into the 600LE (which I found suprisingly warmer and smoother than other Stax amps I tried) and into my former HM 601 (not a great technical DAC - in fact a terrible one compared to the 1000 euros one it was fighting against -, but a very analog and unagressive sound signature), what I heard was rather impressive I should say and worked quite well for all genres. I heard the Reference 7 is quite an analog sounding DAC (maybe the influence of the P1704 chip ?), so that should be ruled out. I guess then that either your tastes are on a warmer side than me or the T1 is the culprit.
I'll try the LCD-2 in September on a Lyr. Not sure that's the most refined combo  but I guess it will help me compare a little the two headphones. Thanks for your impressions.

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #14,309 of 18,459
My 5 grand will be spent on LCD2 classic, Rev1, Rev2 and save the rest of the money for LCD3. That way I can track the evolution of possibly one of the greatest headphones ever built :D

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #14,310 of 18,459

there's more fanboyism in there than practicality :p but I get where you're coming from
Quote:
My 5 grand will be spent on LCD2 classic, Rev1, Rev2 and save the rest of the money for LCD3. That way I can track the evolution of possibly one of the greatest headphones ever built
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back