Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 12, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #14,251 of 18,459
More details don't mean you will get fatigued with it, like other "detailed" cans which actually added a few dB in the treble. The SR009 just sounds real. I thought the LCD2 was good enough but it was really no match to the 009, more like the LCD2 is falling leagues behind once you have a chance to listen to the 009. SR009 is just simply the overall better can, in all aspects, IMO. What's more, I am using the Leben CS300XS with vintage tubes to drive the LCD2, and the 009 is just being driven by the stock Stax solid state amp. With a really good source (like my US$20K+ Esoteric K01), you will notice how big the difference between the overhyped LCD2 and the truly sublime SR009 is.

Why are you comparing Electrostatic headphones to Orthos? Make sense

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #14,253 of 18,459
Just ordered v2's. I hope I get to hear them before my v1's sell.

Only 48 more pages until the end of the world.

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #14,254 of 18,459

I don't need to be bitter coz I own the LCD2 and I still love them. But there is indeed something out there better than it, diminishing return or not. And seeing some of you getting 2 pairs and now even maybe a 3rd pair of LCD2s, why not just go for the SR009? There is no doubt that LCD2 is bang for the buck, but there is really no point drooling over it too much - but I eagerly await the LCD3.

Quote:
googleli, I've read many of your posts and I'm seriously wondering if it is really necessary to always type out the cost of your components everytime you refer to them.  I know you're showing off a little, and I'm happy for you that you can afford that sort of gear, but this thread just doesn't seem like the place for what you want to discuss.  Also, keep in mind that lots of people (I, included) see gear such as that Esoteric stuff as great examples of "audiophool" products.  Lastly, the tone of your past several posts just make you seem bitter that the LCD-2, a headphone less than 20% of the cost of your SR-009 (amp not included), is getting more praise (and more universal praise) than your more expensive STAX system.

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #14,255 of 18,459
The list is in my signature block, but this is just a fraction of how much a high-end speaker system would cost. Just a pair of Siltech double crown "Emperor" cables is more expensive than the total sum of my gear listed below,

Quote:
I don't think anyone would question (except maybe you) that the LCD-2 is in the "sweet" spot before diminishing returns kicks in with a vengeance. The LCD may not be 5x times better than a phone 1/5th the price, whatever 5x better means, but it's still very much in the value-for-money area. The Stax you mention is not. It's for rich dudes, of which you're obviously one, who like to post to headphone forums disparaging phones we can afford whilst praising phones we can't, mentioning by the way other $20K components you own as if they meant nothing to you. Well, I suppose you may as well go ahead and list your whole system while you're at it. We can have our very own version of "Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous".    

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #14,256 of 18,459

Quote:
I've been listening to them non stop since Friday, and as a matter of I think my wife and daughter are planning some sort of Dr Phil intervention or surgery to remove them.  They don't seem to be more fatiguing.  The detail and extra extension is not what people might think of when those terms are used.  It's not a strident, sharp or edgy kind of emphasis.  The extra detail is more like extra inner detail, delicate detail that doesn't add up to extra amplitude, and the extension seems to be more a veil that has been lifted up top thru the virtue of a faster driver and not by amplitude increase. So it doesn't seem more fatiguing.  but if I had to make a very lose analogy and I hope it doesn't spin out of control and into a frenzy of additional pages I'd say the r.1 is more like a really good scotch and the r.2 is somewhat more cerebral.  Both are smooth though. that's just a very lose analogy.  
evil_smiley.gif

Maybe another dual owner can verify this or not.

It sounds like the extra detail and extension is contributing to more of a 3d ambiance, perhaps there is more depth to the imaging and a correspondingly greater soundstage rather than more analytic sounding?

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #14,257 of 18,459
Quote:
I've been listening to them non stop since Friday, and as a matter of I think my wife and daughter are planning some sort of Dr Phil intervention or surgery to remove them.  They don't seem to be more fatiguing.  The detail and extra extension is not what people might think of when those terms are used.  It's not a strident, sharp or edgy kind of emphasis.  The extra detail is more like extra inner detail, delicate detail that doesn't add up to extra amplitude, and the extension seems to be more a veil that has been lifted up top thru the virtue of a faster driver and not by amplitude increase. So it doesn't seem more fatiguing.  but if I had to make a very lose analogy and I hope it doesn't spin out of control and into a frenzy of additional pages I'd say the r.1 is more like a really good scotch and the r.2 is somewhat more cerebral.  Both are smooth though. that's just a very lose analogy.  
evil_smiley.gif

Maybe another dual owner can verify this or not.

I've been listening to the r.2 while the thread has been growing...I agree with your assessment; not fatiguing at all.
I think I finally got the headband stretched enough to be comfortable.  Now, back to listening and enjoying...
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #14,258 of 18,459

Quote:
Throwing back the same question to you - can you tell and quantify exactly that the LCD2 is 5x better than phones which are about 1/5 of its price? 

And yet the diminishing return will get more obvious, for $200 headphone I think the LCD-2's improvement, rev.2 in particular is much much more obvious. 

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #14,259 of 18,459
Between getting decent sound out of 2-3 LCD-2s and a decent SR-009 system, there is still a huge gap in price.

Also, remember that the LCD-2s still sound great out of less-expensive sources (including my laptop), whereas an investment of at least 7-8 thousand dollars, headphones included, might be necessary to get the SR-009 sounding close to its full potential.

I know you don't have to be bitter; I just mentioned what the tone of your posts was like.

Quote:
I don't need to be bitter coz I own the LCD2 and I still love them. But there is indeed something out there better than it, diminishing return or not. And seeing some of you getting 2 pairs and now even maybe a 3rd pair of LCD2s, why not just go for the SR009? There is no doubt that LCD2 is bang for the buck, but there is really no point drooling over it too much - but I eagerly await the LCD3.

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #14,260 of 18,459

He want's to show off i guess since he first brought up the sr-009 and bashed on LCD-2 lol Frankly yes, the SR-009 is a better phone given the glorious review from Jude,and cost way much. It is pointless at this thread however,  where people like me, who is wondering with excitement and worries of rev.2, to tell every one that you have a better can and how what we are waiting for is such a inferior or worthless product to your sr-009. If you wanna show your beloved gears there is other section for that, and we all proud and love our gear just as much as you do, regardless of their price tag, we'd like them just way they are. 

Quote:
Quote:

Was that really necessary?  
confused.gif

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #14,261 of 18,459

Quote:
There is something to be said now for the sound of both sets of cans.  It sort of reminds me of a tube amp situation. One tube for one sound and another for a somewhat different sound.

Hey WA, great review, I wonder how much dose the Vocal changed on them. That's what I cared the most, would it become somewhat more holographic like on HD650? 
Btw, I notice you upgraded, if i dare, to a V200, I wonder what's the difference? on LCD-2 for example, I'm looking for a second amp, SS most likely. 

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #14,262 of 18,459
Hey tupac

I auditioned the edition 8 based on your recs and I gotta say you got good taste in headphones, I was really impressed.

Now after reading all your posts on the edition 8 forum and here, I think you have convinced me to get an lcd2.  Now gotta decide if I should pick up a used one or wait for a newer version...

Quote:
I guess I need 2 answer this question about Ed.8 vs LCD 2 cuz they are the last two cans I am gonna keep. So for me I can't say which one is better cuz they got equal amount of usage.

Transparency: they are pretty much equal. I would say Ed.8 has a lil bit more.
Bass: They both really really good at doing bass. Two best bass headphones I ever heard. Ed.8's bass is fast, tighter and also really really punchy. LCD 2 's bass is deep, more impact, and more bass weight. U wont go wrong with either.
Mids: I dun need 2 say more here. LCD 2 got the mids to die for. Ed.8 not bad.
Highs/treble: Ed.8 is more bright than LCD 2 obviously. LCD 2 sounds warm or "dark" if you wanna say, although I personally dun find it any recessed. I find it perfect since I fear sibilance. Ed.8 's high/treble sounds really standard, neither bright nor dark.
Soundstage: I cant compare here. no comparison since they are different types of cans.
Comfort: Ed. 8 clamps a lil tight as first, but still it's so light, so it's more comfortable than LCD 2. LCD 2 I found it comfortable too, the weight is really well distributed. But still u might wanna consider the weight issue.

Also Ed.8 is portable, LCD 2 is not.

I love Ed.8. But if I hv to keep one, I would prefer LCD 2. according from you genres u won't go wrong with either. if you dun do mixing, LCD 2 is probably ur first choice. If you want a lil bit neutral sound, Ed.8 or T1 (which I found it lack of bass and bright) should be considered.

Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting an LCD2, but my source makes me reluctant to buy.  So first off, I am an amateur audiophile.  I plan on using this as my open ended can on my desktop.  My current desktop rig has an Asus Xonar ST w/ the dedicated amp.  I am kind of a bass head, but I won't sacrifice the rest of the spectrum.  I'd say 80% of my music is pop, rap, rock and on those genre's I am a fan of bass boost.  I also plan on using these cans for internet media, movies, and games.  Naturally, all of this media has a pretty broad range of bitrates.  Now I would like to know if anyone has experience or audiophile insight into this kind of a set up.  Would these cans still kick ass w/ that DAC amp combo?  What about if I used a better amp, but still used the DAC?  Or does the entire set up gotta go?

Also, I am curious if anyone has any insight comparing Ultrasone Edition 8s with LCD2s.  Btw I know its not fair to compare closed vs open, but its all I really have to compare.

Thanks!

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #14,263 of 18,459

Quote:
The list is in my signature block, but this is just a fraction of how much a high-end speaker system would cost. Just a pair of Siltech double crown "Emperor" cables is more expensive than the total sum of my gear listed below,

I took you have that cable? I know someone who has one and is so dumb that make a web photo album with photo zoomed on the price tag of a shirts that they brought and other lux stuff? I certainly hope you won't be one of them, cz that's just pathetic. 
There is nothing wrong buying expensive staff, you earn the money you entitled to do whatever you wanna. Just don't do it they wrong way. Audio gears is what we use to ENJOY MUSIC, what we care is the music and gears are just tool, and this fantastic place allow us to share their experience and helping each other finds what are they looking for. So it would funny to take it the other way around, isn't it? I know some people, and some of them are even my friends who are just overly obsessed with gears and forgot about the real music they enjoy. All day long they just play around the gears endlessly with bunch, bunch of TEST CDs filled with the music they don't even really like...... I'd say relaxed dude, enjoy the music and other wonderful things that life has to offer~

Very Best

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #14,265 of 18,459
Quote:
More details don't mean you will get fatigued with it, like other "detailed" cans which actually added a few dB in the treble. The SR009 just sounds real. I thought the LCD2 was good enough but it was really no match to the 009, more like the LCD2 is falling leagues behind once you have a chance to listen to the 009. SR009 is just simply the overall better can, in all aspects, IMO. What's more, I am using the Leben CS300XS with vintage tubes to drive the LCD2, and the 009 is just being driven by the stock Stax solid state amp. With a really good source (like my US$20K+ Esoteric K01), you will notice how big the difference between the overhyped LCD2 and the truly sublime SR009 is.

The LCD-2's are hyped appropriately for the target market (price point and competing headphones).

One would hope that the 009's were better all round, otherwise they would be a rather poor purchase, in terms of both common sense and financial outlay :¬)

As someone else mentioned, they are also very versatile. I tested them powered by a friends Fiio E7/E9 combo and they still output that wonderful sound; they don't need considerable additional outlay to perform.

Edit: do I recall someone on here mentioning the LCD-2's giving them the warm and fuzzies akin to that of the Sennheiser Orpheus set?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back