Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 9, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #13,921 of 18,459
Well, here is my take on the whole rev1 rev2 thing. Perhaps rev1 refers to the short period of time where the existing driver material underwent much higher scrutiny than before including higher tolerance pair matching, burning in etc as mentioned on their blog at the end of May. Don't know but looking at graphs from that period the differ from the earlier ones and are in fact very similar to the rev 2 drivers. I know comparing my old and new graphs the second is a little different to the first.

No idea but I thought it better than hamsters! :D

That would explain why Aude'ze made the differentiation in nomenclature. Although I wouldn't have made that distinction since they are not physically dissimilar (other than perhaps the QC improvement in driver matching).

no rodents here

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #13,923 of 18,459
Quote:
Yeah I think I got it now.

What was the change in the grills though? I've read every post but can't recall.

Yeah, when did they change?  I was surprised to see the different grills on newer pictures.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #13,924 of 18,459
Quote:
Yeah I think I got it now.

What was the change in the grills though? I've read every post but can't recall.Only the text on the grills.

They added the "A" to the grill (quite some time ago) as well as (I think three or it might be two) text changes along the way to it's current shortened state.

I'll also point out there was two block changes. From polymer to metal and back again. Also the colour of the wood is always changing. Such is the nature of the very material. The type of wood itself never changed.

I don't completely agree with what Alghazanth terms "Rev 1" but I also have no real alternative explanation. In my mind there is only two real versions now we have the new driver. All the other changes (according to Audeze) have been superficial and have left the much beloved sound signature unchanged.

EDIT: And don't forget the changes to the connectors that happened way back when.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #13,925 of 18,459
I think that rev 1 is not an appropriate name, the wood, grills, blocks and pads were no changed at the same time, there would be rev 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 in this case. :rolleyes:
IHMO, we have the original version, the same version plus some tweaks, and rev2 which is the current version.

The change of the grill wa when they put a large stylized A on them, before it used a be a plain grill with a L or an R in the center.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #13,926 of 18,459
Grills changed between initial release and sometime before July of 2010...think the same time the headband went through a change.  I only know because I had to get my grills replaced, so I have first run drivers and headband but later version grills.  The first batch of grills were a little more fragile as far as the paint finish, so mine got nicked up in production or transit.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #13,927 of 18,459
That was an old change, around the time of the angled cable connectors IIRC. Basically they added the "A" pattern.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #13,929 of 18,459
Quote:
I think that rev 1 is not an appropriate name, the wood, grills, blocks and pads were no changed at the same time, there would be rev 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 in this case.
rolleyes.gif

IHMO, we have the original version, the same version plus some tweaks, and rev2 which is the current version.

The change of the grill wa when they put a large stylized A on them, before it used a be a plain grill with a L or an R in the center.

Yeah, but recently they changed the text on the grill.

Old:

New:

Wonder why (not that it's a big deal)?

-HK sends

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #13,930 of 18,459
Yeah, but recently they changed the text on the grill.

Wonder why (not that it's a big deal)?

-HK sends

Yeah it doesn't makes any sense really, can't cost that much more. Also, first time I noticed that they removed the accent in their name 'Audez'e' and now it just says 'Audeze'. Also reminds me I've been putting the accent in the wrong spot lately. :D

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #13,931 of 18,459
Quote:
Yeah it doesn't makes any sense really, can't cost that much more. Also, first time I noticed that they removed the accent in their name 'Audez'e' and now it just says 'Audeze'. Also reminds me I've been putting the accent in the wrong spot lately.
biggrin.gif

You know, I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it.

-HK sends

Maybe I'll just swap the cover plates
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #13,934 of 18,459

Quote:
I don't want to say that as rule, but as a starting point for the treble tremblers, yes. For everyone else, the rev2 is a no-brainer first purchase or eligible trade-in. For those not eligible, site back and enjoy you rev1. A Rev2 guy might come knocking soon with a trade offer.  For those who love their rev1's and are not letting them go, I salute you. Stick to your guns. You already have a great headphone. 

So if I'm not in the period they offer exchange i can not get the new version of LCD-2 from Audze without buying a new pair? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back