Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 9, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #13,906 of 18,459

Quote:

Why are the old LCD-2s called r.1 now? This new version is the first time the sonic signature has been changed, or "revised". I guess all of the previous evolutionary changes in the LCD-2's ergonomics, functionality, and aesthetics add up to the first revision?

It's just something I started doing, calling them r.1's. I can't stop myself.  It's better than calling them "old" though, and classic doesn't seem right and a naked by itself LCD might lead to confusion and generalization and confusing for those easily confused.  What was I saying? 
smile.gif

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #13,907 of 18,459
Quote:
It's just something I started doing, calling them r.1's. I can't stop myself.  It's better than calling them "old" though, and classic doesn't seem right and a naked by itself LCD might lead to confusion and generalization and confusing for those easily confused.  What was I saying? 
smile.gif

I dunno, I'm confused...
wink_face.gif

-HK sends

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #13,909 of 18,459
For those curious about the dacmini>lyr combo. 

I only need to have the volume knob at 10 o'clock on the lyr. The lyr has oodles of power and it opens up the soundstage  and provides more body to the overall sound. Bass is more extended. It makes the HD 800 sound so much better. The dacmini seemed a little lean compared to the lyr. If the dac mini was a slim super model, adding the lyr turns her a little more rounded with curves and handles in all the right places:)

I still am using stock tubes with about 60 hours of burn in. Am waiting for the valhalla tubes to show up.

Listening  the LCDs on the lyr is another  experience in another dimension of time.....Listening to stacy kent,was like being transported to a smokey jazz bar, whiskey in the left hand, a cigar on the right.

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #13,910 of 18,459
...maybe Version 1 and Version 2 with the LCD-1s as Version 0. 
wink.gif

-HK sends

I considered that, but to eliminate confusion, I think it would be better if we didn't bring the original LCDs into the picture. Aude'ze themselves has made a difference in designations when they named the new ones the LCD-2s so it doesn't make any sense for us to complicate things.

Anyway, how are you enjoying the new drivers now that you've had a little time to settle in with them? Revisiting everything again? :D

I'm not sure what you are talking about, as far as I know there are 2 versions of the drivers.
- the original version
- the rev 2

And at some point. the manufacturing of the original driver began to show a problem, resulting in a lot of faulty drivers. These were not an intermediate version but simply faulty, they sounded like the original ones but were very prone to failure. Rather than try to fix the manufacturing process Audeze decided to release the Rev 2 drivers earlier than planned.

Meanwhile there has been some incremental cosmetic changes: headband, angling of the connectors, the earpads probably being the only one bringing a change of sonic signature, but not LCD-2.1 version.

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #13,912 of 18,459
I'm not sure what you are talking about, as far as I know there are 2 versions of the drivers.
- the original version
- the rev 2

2 versions right. The original LCD-2 driver (1st version) and the 2nd, the newest driver or the 1st "revised" driver version. The 1st revision should not be called "revision 2" I don't know who started that but unfortunately it spread like wildfire.

And at some point. the manufacturing of the original driver began to show a problem, resulting in a lot of faulty drivers. These were not an intermediate version but simply faulty, they sounded like the original ones but were very prone to failure. Rather than try to fix the manufacturing process Audeze decided to release the Rev 2 drivers earlier than planned.

Meanwhile there has been some incremental cosmetic changes: headband, angling of the connectors, the earpads probably being the only one bringing a change of sonic signature, but not LCD-2.1 version.

As far as I'm aware, in this realm, as far as identification of versions is concerned cosmetic changes don't merit completely new designations. Especially when they can be swapped out in seconds. The cup change since it does in fact affect sonics (as far as I'm aware) would possible require a new designation but since it is hot-swappable it's not a primary concern.

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #13,913 of 18,459

Quote:
2 versions right. The original LCD-2 driver (1st version) and the 2nd, the newest driver or the 1st "revised" driver version. The 1st revision should not be called "revision 2" I don't know who started that but unfortunately it spread like wildfire.

I believe Audeze is labeling it  Rev.2 drivers on their website.  but I may be mistaken.  I'm too lazy to scroll back and find the link

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #13,915 of 18,459
SEE??  This is just what the hamsters WANT! 
eek.gif

They want us to debate revisions and versions and revised versions and versions of revisions so they can come in and take over the world!!  Audez'e's horrific plan to sow fear, uncertainty and doubt about what to call a set of headphones until we reach 1000 pages and they are free from the demonic pits of Hell...

We Head-Fi'ers are the world's last hope!  We can't let them distract us with issues of semantics and nit-picks of designations that we make up ourselves!  Wake up and smell the Caribbean Rosewood!!

Remember:

They are COMING!

I'm outa here!!
-HK sends

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #13,919 of 18,459
Well, here is my take on the whole rev1 rev2 thing. Perhaps rev1 refers to the short period of time where the existing driver material underwent much higher scrutiny than before including higher tolerance pair matching, burning in etc as mentioned on their blog at the end of May. Don't know but looking at graphs from that period the differ from the earlier ones and are in fact very similar to the rev 2 drivers. I know comparing my old and new graphs the second is a little different to the first.

No idea but I thought it better than hamsters! :D

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #13,920 of 18,459
I think it goes like this:

LCD-2 "Classic" is the very first

LCD-2 Rev 1 is after the wood, grills, blocks, pads changed

LCD-2 Rev 2 is the new driver

Leather headband is just an additional accessory

Users who are viewing this thread

Back