Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 28, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #1,336 of 18,459
Could anyone tell me how they compare to the HD 600?

I am looking for something with great tonal balance like the HD 600, but with much better detail, and a solid bottom end, instead of only punchy mid bass. 

I love my D7000, but it is not the most neutral headphone, although it is much more neutral to these ears than I have read. I like the low end response a lot, the imaging and tone are great, but they get crowded. Basically I would want something of an open D7000 with better detail if possible. 

May 28, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #1,337 of 18,459

Quote:

I spent more on the Jena, then the hard-wire of my balanced 800...over twice as much!

At least the Jena cable is very, very good wire, and I'm sure the audible difference is real..

May 28, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #1,338 of 18,459

Quote:
Could anyone tell me how they compare to the HD 600?

I am looking for something with great tonal balance like the HD 600, but with much better detail, and a solid bottom end, instead of only punchy mid bass. 

I love my D7000, but it is not the most neutral headphone, although it is much more neutral to these ears than I have read. I like the low end response a lot, the imaging and tone are great, but they get crowded. Basically I would want something of an open D7000 with better detail if possible. 

Make sure you listen to them at CanJam.

May 28, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #1,341 of 18,459

Quote:
I agree.  Many people mistake accentuated treble for quickness and detail.

That explains why my SR325is is so fast and detailed. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Did you get a chance to read the links to articles about this earlier in this thread?

The published curves for the LCD-2 reflect the LCD-2 designer's interpretation of a free field / HRTF contour.  The flatness of the "curve" is a characteristic of the driver's inherent strengths.  The contour / step above 1k is a result of careful damping.

To most people's ears, they sound pretty natural.

Here's the link to the stereophile article about headphones, equalization, and hearing.
http://stereophile.com/features/808head/

Does the Audeze FR plot from the Neumann head have an adjustment applied or is it the data as the Neumann ears hear it?  The plots that HeadRoom does get an adjustment for their head and that's the way I'm used to seeing headphone FR plots.  But it seems the Audeze plot doesn't have that adjustment done, or the data is being presented differently.  And what adjustment HeadRoom is applying (FF, DF, on plane, off plane, whatever) I'm not sure.  It's messy and confusing trying to compare graphs from different sources and different measurement heads.

And yes, to people ears (and Ham Sandwich ears) the LCD-2 does sound very natural.  Amazingly natural.  I really like it from my too brief of a listening.  Yo-Yo Ma, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Jimi Hendrix, string quartet, and everything else I tried was as natural as could be. 

May 28, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #1,342 of 18,459

Quote:

That explains why my SR325is is so fast and detailed. 
biggrin.gif

Does the Audeze FR plot from the Neumann head have an adjustment applied or is it the data as the Neumann ears hear it?  The plots that HeadRoom does get an adjustment for their head and that's the way I'm used to seeing headphone FR plots.  But it seems the Audeze plot doesn't have that adjustment done, or the data is being presented differently.  And what adjustment HeadRoom is applying (FF, DF, on plane, off plane, whatever) I'm not sure.  It's messy and confusing trying to compare graphs from different sources and different measurement heads.

And yes, to people ears (and Ham Sandwich ears) the LCD-2 does sound very natural.  Amazingly natural.  I really like it from my too brief of a listening.  Yo-Yo Ma, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Jimi Hendrix, string quartet, and everything else I tried was as natural as could be. 

I was told by Sankar that they received mods from Neuman to make the Neuman head suitable for headphone measurements.  I'm looking forward to talking with Tyll at CanJam.  We can find out more details about his method and also hopefully get him to measure the LCD-2s with his rig so we can compare apples to apples.

May 28, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #1,343 of 18,459

Quote:
At least the Jena cable is very, very good wire, and I'm sure the audible difference is real..

I had tried four other cables to arrive at the Jena solution. Good wire added at the end, when all is said and done, is icing on the cake. First, source and amp then phone and finally wire...

May 28, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #1,346 of 18,459
Can you guys name some of the amps you feel the LCD-2 has synergy with?  That you have personally tested?  Thanks!

May 28, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #1,348 of 18,459

Quote:
People have been after Kevin (kwkarth) for being out of character...I don't think that is fair assessment. If you were in his shoes (moccasins) and have lived with the phone awhile you might be stride for stride in opinion, and in defense of the of this Ortho...Just my two cents. 

One of the great things about HeadFi is that you can change your mind.  

achristilaw was quite correct.  It wasn't a fair assessment.

I was premature in my judgment and hasty in my comments.

USG

May 28, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #1,349 of 18,459

Quote:
 The only thing that is silver in the cable is the small jumper between the two pins on the mini XLR jack on the headphone.

But it functions like an audiophile fuse? 
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
 First, source and amp then phone and finally wire..

Small correction:

First Phone, then Source, then Amp, then take Nick Charles into consideration.

USG

May 28, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #1,350 of 18,459

Quote:
Small correction:

First Phone, then Source, then Amp, then take Nick Charles into consideration.

USG

Depends which elements in music reproduction you hold important. You can't save a krappy source with good headphones if you want good pace, dynamics and pitch accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back