Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jun 4, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #12,451 of 18,459

Quote:

That Yamaha looks fantastic.  Luckily or unluckily I live in an apartment, there's only so much equipment I can throw in here, otherwise I'd want a vintage receiver to go with my Sansui.

What's going to happen when your V200 headphone amp arrives?  I recall you wanted that to drive your LCD-2 but seems like you and I are loving the power of vintage amps to drive our cans.

Yeah the V200 is for me and then when the summer heat of the Sonoran desert has past I'm thinking about also getting a tube amp.  The lyr was my original plan to compliment the V200, but now the list has expanded the possibilities of the Woo WA2, Woo WA 6E. I'm not sure when the V200 will arrive. The U.S. dealer told me Monday he had one left for sale on his shipment that was coming in on tuesday so I paid up and haven't heard anything back from him about the shipment.

My 16 year old daughter has a pair of Audio Technica AD 700 and Grado 80i's that we've been using with the Marantz 2215B and she loves the sound so I might give it to her.  I'll output her iPod Touch into the 2215 or I'll use it on one of my TV rigs late at night for the headphone output.  I don't want to distract her from her summer of SAT studying. 

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #12,452 of 18,459

Quote:
Anour Brahem is also one of my favourites, and the trio makes such sublime pieces of music.

beerchug.gif
Brahem's music is consistently lovely.  One of the things that is outstanding is that the "Trio" is never the same - all of the CD's I have of his are unique fusions with different musicians (yes, usually in a trio) with one set that are an exception.  See the discography on his wiki for more on who he's played with.  My favorite, Le Pas du Chat Noir, is a trio of oud, piano and accordian.  It is the only trio group he repeats on Le Voyage de Sahar.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #12,453 of 18,459

Quote:
beerchug.gif
Brahem's music is consistently lovely.  One of the things that is outstanding is that the "Trio" is never the same - all of the CD's I have of his are unique fusions with different musicians (yes, usually in a trio) with one set that are an exception.  See the discography on his wiki for more on who he's played with.  My favorite, Le Pas du Chat Noir, is a trio of oud, piano and accordian.  It is the only trio group he repeats on Le Voyage de Sahar.

I just ordered up your suggestions from the previous posts and about 6 Brahem offerings.  I'm an old school Jazz guy but I try out anything I haven't heard before. Going through the complete discography of Jan Garbarek this week end.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #12,454 of 18,459

[size=medium]
I've only heard one album with Jan Garbarek and it's the one with the Hilliard Ensemble called "Officium".  

WarriorAnt if you are looking for some new music, one of my top 5 albums of all time is the Hilliard Ensemble + Christoph Poppen album "Morimur".  I can listen to track 21 all day.  Classical and sounds great on the LCD-2.

We might have to start Best Music for LCD-2 thread 
tongue_smile.gif

[/size]

Quote:
I just ordered up your suggestions from the previous posts and about 6 Brahem offerings.  I'm an old school Jazz guy but I try out anything I haven't heard before. Going through the complete discography of Jan Garbarek this week end.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #12,455 of 18,459

Quote:

I've only heard one album with Jan Garbarek and it's the one with the Hilliard Ensemble called "Officium".  

WarriorAnt if you are looking for some new music, one of my top 5 albums of all time is the Hilliard Ensemble + Christoph Poppen album "Morimur".  I can listen to track 21 all day.  Classical and sounds great on the LCD-2.

tongue_smile.gif

Do check out some of Brahem's other collaborations. 

I like Morimur very much as well (yet another on the ECM label).  The Hilliard Ensemble have done some beautiful pieces of Arvo Pärt too.   Stabat Mater, Lamentate, Miserere, and Passio are a few in my library, all of which are quite beautiful.

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #12,457 of 18,459

Quote:

[size=medium]

tongue_smile.gif

[/size]

Done!   http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557034/best-music-for-lcd-2#post_7519323

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #12,459 of 18,459

Quote:
Morimur is a class musician

I'm not familiar with the musician, "Morimur".  Did you mean to say that?  The CD being discussed is titled, Morimur, and is a collaboration between the violinist, Christopher Poppen, and the English vocal group, the Hilliard Ensemble, and is variations on a Bach partita.  Morimur translated means something like, we will die.  It is a unique fusion of the Bach partita  with accompanying vocals by the Hilliard ensemble.  Great on the LCD-2 in that it is very midrange-centric in the accompanying vocals....and as the LCD-2 is so good at, it is a very natural sounding presentation, with a strong head-start in being a really well recorded piece (as ECM seems to be capable of no less on anything they do).

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #12,460 of 18,459
I'll cross-post this as it is relevant to both threads. Honestly, I'm at a loss as one of the things I like best about LCD-2's is that the are remarkably versatile.  They really serve most of the music I listen to quite well.  Though there are cans that may do one or two genre's even better, none seem to do so many so well.  It's like the Swiss Army Knife of headphones.  So my list of music that I'd recommend would be simply a list of my favorite music, which I posted recently here on this thread.  I could certainly elaborate and go a whole lot further.  My current library is over 2000 albums right now.  I think my tastes are not the poster-member of Head-Fi though, and don't know that many hear share them.  I see far more youthful tastes being shared in these threads.  I guess I'm gettin' old....Infected Mushrooms, Gorillaz, Porcupine Tree, Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga just don't do it for me. 

Quote:

Done!   http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557034/best-music-for-lcd-2#post_7519323

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #12,461 of 18,459
Hope someone replies soon. I miss listening to them. My Pioneer HDJ-2000 DJ headphones sound so crappy now.

Quote:
Another one bites the dust - my pair's left driver quit Tuesday evening (5/31) in the middle of the new Kate Bush album.

For those keeping track: #5698471, received 3/31/11, 177 hours of use mostly on Schiit Lyr.

Emailed Audeze Wednesday morning; as of today (Friday 6/3), no instructions, just waiting to be assigned to someone on the help desk. My case was numbered 111 - if that's the number of failures let's hope this small company isn't overwhelmed.

And I miss them already.

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #12,462 of 18,459
I also have an early pair of LCD-2 and a very recent pair. I hear no appreciable difference between them, although I do find the newer ones slightly more comfortable to wear.

Drop by our local distributor shop to check out the newer LCD2. Yeah, IMO it's a lot more comfortable. I didn't bring my LCD2 along to compare but newer LCD2 seems to be a bit lighter. When I reach home, my LCD2 does feel heavier. Not sure if it's me and my memory.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #12,464 of 18,459
I am planning to get a pair of LCD-2's in Oct/Nov time frame. (Present to myself for paying off $130K worth of debt in 22 months.) I have not read through this whole thread but have read a the last 20-30 pages. I'm looking for what would be the best DIY amp for them. My original plan was to build a Beta 22 but I don't know how well that amp works with the LCD's. Any suggestions would help. I'm not opposed to buying something like a LYR, I just enjoy building my own stuff. All of my gear is DIY, cd transport, dac, amp, all of it. It's what I like to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back