Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Mar 15, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #10,141 of 18,459
I don't want to copy and past all of HA's response because it was lengthy and included other posts that I'd read in the dacmini thread but here's a good excerpt:
"Basically, tonight I would say that the DACmini doesn't make the LCD-2 sound dark to me, nor recessed in the mids and treble.  It has a good frequency balance, timbre and tone, good transparency, and good power.  The soundstage is very big and open, but it is slightly more forward than the WA6 or Amphora, although not as much as the HDP.  So it puts you closer to front row than 5th row, but with very good micro-detail for the ambience and air of the surrounding space of the performance."

To answer your question yes, I'm on my second pair. I bought some when they first came out and was generally underwhelmed with them and sold them shortly after. I've made some gear changes and had read favorable opinions about the Concerto with them so thought I'd order another pair just to see if I could figure out what the hell everyone liked about them so much. It took about a week of the LCD-2 character creeping into my sweep spots but now I love them. I will say without hesitation that I do not think they have an immediate "wow factor" like the HD800 did for me. I found the HD800 to have better instrument separation, soundstage, and a slight edge on detail retrieval. I find the LCD-2 to be more balanced and accurate or true to recording. An appreciation for this was slow building for me but I no longer own the HD800 and the LCD-2 is now my primary headphone. I'll also add that I've never heard PRaT better than the LCD-2, something about the precision and attack of every note just being exquisitely perfect to my ears. I do find them to be more sensitive to source and amp than any other headphone I've owned, with the wrong rig the can really sound dull IMO.

Quote:

Brian, if you can share any of the info that'd be great. did you have 2 sets of lcd2s? (i thought you sold a set).
there's another amp i have to wonder about possibly pairing well with both the lcd2 and the ad2k - the ps audio gcha. it's a good device that at one time got attention here, but like many other units, got forgotten about as folks moved onto other fotms.

The big question for me when considering gear like the dacmini is what standalone dacs does it compete with when using the dac alone? Same question for the headphone amp? Are we comparing the dac section to a uDAC, Pico, DL III, or more? and are we comparing the headphone amp section to SS amps in the $300 realm or $600-$1k realm?

My Concerto is back with Jan for to have a defective control for the digital volume replaced so I may give the dacmini a try and just sell or trade whichever one I like least with the LCD-2.

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #10,142 of 18,459

Quote:
Hi all!

Newbie here
smily_headphones1.gif
I would like to share my experience. I first ventured into head-fi bcos I miss my hi-fi system when I'm overseas. I remembered the first time I heard the HD600 I was so smitten by how good it sounds that I bought it straight away. Over the year I heard many more from ultrasone, audio technica etc. Though I bought two more Cans, DT880 and ATH-M50, HD600 has always been my reference. One which I always go back to.

When I decided to up my scale, I looked at AKG701, Tesla T1, HD650, HD800. 701 sounded clinical, HD650 sounded dark and bloated. Tesla T1 was very good, nice mids and details much better than HD600 but I wasn't moved. HD800 was impressive, excellent soundstage and great details but still I wasn't moved. I still got back to enjoy my HD600. I thought ortho is the way to go cos I not ready to go electrostatic. Very tempted by HE6 intro price and free delivery but I was worried about amplification. LCD2 was easier to drive however with many comment of it sounded dark, kind of placed a hurdle.

Then I learned that there's a local distributor in Singapore allow audition of LCD2, I grab the chance, after a few songs comparing it with HD600 I bought it. On first listen, all my worries of it being too dark was gone. At first I thought HD600 had more bass but on further listening, I notice I'm deceived by HD600 mid bass hump giving me false impression of bass. LCD2's bass is deep tight and real. Some say it lack details. To me it is very detailed. The details it provide is not so much about space, air and plain tipped treble. It's about textures, layers, and dimensions. Music from the LCD2 had so much realism, so much body and soul. Instruments and vocals are so real, so organic. When I go back to HD600 from LCD2, the HD600 sounded cold flat lifeless. It made what I revered most sound wrong. HD800 and T1 was clearly a lot better than HD600 but they didn't made it sound wrong. I noticed LCD2 have adjusted my reference point. Brought me to a different realm of listening. On the other cans I was listening to recordings. On the LCD2, I embrace music.

Weeks passed. I have never got back to my HD600. Just my 2 cents worth.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well said.  Welcome to Head-Fi!!

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #10,143 of 18,459

Quote:
So I just received my tracking number from FedEx. I figured if I was lucky they would arrive on Friday, but most likely not till Wednesday till next week (being that it has to come into Canada), well, if the estimated ETA on the tracking number is correct I'm going to be a very happy listener;

Oh god please be true, I'm off Thursday so I'll be sitting next to my door impatiently waiting for them to arrive!

FedEx has always been on time for me in the past (when coming from the US), so you should be good with what they are estimating...

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #10,144 of 18,459
well in between the g-lite and the gs-x is the gs-1. i wonder if that might do a reasonable job with either can (seeing as i have a v2-se, essentially an upgraded gs-1).

I dunno...from all I can see, the GS-1 is just 2 GLite boards with a built in PS.  Yes, it has another input and a gain switch, but the power output spec is the same.  I'm sure the PS will help, but I have no real idea whether it'll be better than a GLite with a DPS. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #10,145 of 18,459
Truthfully, I think it's going to be a day early at the rate it's going. It's currently in transit to Lloydmister from Edmonton, which is, what, 4-5 hours away? Without a doubt will be a pleasant surprise if I do get a knock on the door tomorrow.

Quote:
FedEx has always been on time for me in the past (when coming from the US), so you should be good with what they are estimating...

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #10,146 of 18,459
Quote:
Well said.  Welcome to Head-Fi!!

you forgot the most important part of the welcome msg - SORRY ABOUT YOUR WALLET!!!! 
eek.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #10,147 of 18,459
I just had a very pleasant conversation with Jonathan from CEntrance and was told they put equal efforts into both the amp and dac sections of the dacmini vs. a nice dac with a headphone amp tossed in or vise versa. 30 day $$ back with no restocking fees so I'm going to give it a try. They are expecting more units by end of month and I'll be happy to share my feedback here as it relates to LCD-2 synergy for anyone interested.

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #10,148 of 18,459
definitely interested in hearing your take, Brian. btw, how do you like the lcd2 compared to the ps-1 (ii know it's been a while since you've had those)? both seem to appeal to bassers and rockers, eh?

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #10,149 of 18,459

Quote:
definitely interested in hearing your take, Brian. btw, how do you like the lcd2 compared to the ps-1 (ii know it's been a while since you've had those)? both seem to appeal to bassers and rockers, eh?

Oh man, honestly it's been too long since I've owned those to offer much but I do remember the PS-1 pushing vocals a bit more forward which hit a sweet spot for me. Couldn't really offer any other opinions from memory, guess it's time to get to another meet!

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #10,150 of 18,459
A little upset with Audeze at the moment. I made my payment for the headphones on the 02/26/11, got an email saying the echeque had cleared on the 03/02/11, which you would have thought meant that they would then be sent off within the next day or two. I just emailed them and got a response saying sorry I hadn't emailed you sooner, and that because I payed echeque my item hadn't even been posted yet and it would go within the next day or two.

I fail to see why it would take this long to post because it was an echeque payment, especially since I got the echeque cleared email 2 weeks ago. It kind of looks to me like they had just forgotten about mine and now are sending it off. Because I live in Australia it now means that it will take another 2 weeks for it to arrive, after it's already been over 2 weeks since my payment cleared. As you can all probably relate to I have been anxiously awaiting these for over 2 weeks now and to be informed they haven't even been posted is frustrating.

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #10,151 of 18,459

Quote:
A little upset with Audeze at the moment. I made my payment for the headphones on the 02/26/11, got an email saying the echeque had cleared on the 03/02/11, which you would have thought meant that they would then be sent off within the next day or two. I just emailed them and got a response saying sorry I hadn't emailed you sooner, and that because I payed echeque my item hadn't even been posted yet and it would go within the next day or two.

I fail to see why it would take this long to post because it was an echeque payment, especially since I got the echeque cleared email 2 weeks ago. It kind of looks to me like they had just forgotten about mine and now are sending it off. Because I live in Australia it now means that it will take another 2 weeks for it to arrive, after it's already been over 2 weeks since my payment cleared. As you can all probably relate to I have been anxiously awaiting these for over 2 weeks now and to be informed they haven't even been posted is frustrating.

Since they sat on it tell them you want it by EMS or some other fast service. That would make up for it, some. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #10,153 of 18,459
Mar 15, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #10,155 of 18,459
Quote:
What wallet??  
confused_face.gif

the one you had prior to joining head-fi. i guess it's been so long that it's hard for you to remember. 

Quote:
MomijiTMO said:
Stop your whining! You'll get them eventually. Whenever they feel like posting it. 

Now time to listen to my LCD-2s :p

maybe you could lend yours to matthew until his make it down under 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back