Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Mar 14, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #10,126 of 18,459

Quote:
Reading back over this thread I see some people questioning whether the LCD-2s would be a worthwhile upgrade or whether they're past the curve of diminishing returns. Or perhaps comparable results can be achieved with a different headphone/amp combination, hence the LCD-2s would be nothing special per se. These were the kinds of questions on my mind before I bought them too. In my experience many upgrades are marginal and bear no relation to price. I'm happy to say the LCD-2s are the one product that have confounded my expectations in this regard.

I unfortunately do not have much breadth of experience, however I do own a pair of Sennheiser HD-650s for comparison. I run them out of a Benchmark DAC1, both with stock cables. One thing I don't see mentioned much is that the LCD-2s completely and utterly trounce the HD-650s in terms of precision and detail retrieval. I listen mostly to rock and pop. On any reasonably complex studio recording the LCD-2s are more intelligible, they better track individual voices and instruments and vocals are easier to understand. This is not subtle. Listening on my speakers or with the Sennheisers I typically notice nice bits in recordings that stand out. It could be a sliding guitar on a Rodrigo y Gabriela album or perhaps a trumpet solo in Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition that was particularly well recorded, bathed in ambience. Such moments don't occur all that often for me. With the LCD-2s however I find that these parts don't stand out anymore, because the rest of the music has been elevated to a similar level. For me the LCD-2s do that consistently, track after track for probably more than half of my music collection. It's not merely about transient speed. It's the way the LCD-2 track small or gradual changes in dynamics and articulation that turns the music more into a performance and, for me, sustains interest far more than the relatively homogenized sound that comes out of my speakers or the Sennheisers. You can reasonably compare frequency balance and wearing comfort, I would rate the HD-650s better on both counts, but in terms of musicality and sheer technical excellence I find the Audezes in a completely different league. I have not heard the HD-800, T1, HE-6, Stax nor any other headphones that compete with the LCD-2s, but whenever I see the older Sennheiser HD-600/650 mentioned in the same paragraph, well, I cannot believe that you could ever achieve comparable results, regardless of amplification (not that anyone has asked that exact question, but there you go).

I wonder why not more LCD-2 users are drawing attention to the above. Perhaps that's just my perception. Perhaps I haven't read widely enough. Quite likely the other high-end phones play in the same league and the HD-650 comparison just doesn't come up. There are possibly some other reasons though. One is that the frequency balance is down-tilted and that the LCD-2s are quite unforced. All the information is there, and I really mean that, but nothing stands out or draws attention to itself. It's sort of musically balanced and just sounds natural to me. You have to sit down, relax and listen to a few tracks. When I do that, I'm really enjoying the above experience, however if I listen while working I might as well use the HD-650s. The LCD-2s don't especially draw attention when your mind is on something else. 

i agree completely with pretty much everything said above. and i think ive stated that before. though maybe not in this thread. maybe its that most people care more about the FR than the technical abilities of the phone? but i know for me that the LCD-2's blow the HD6X0's out of the water. and the LCD-2's were the first fullsized can i heard that i liked as much as my JH-13's. which included hearing the d7000's, hd-800's, O2's(on a BHSE) and the T1's

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #10,127 of 18,459

Quote:
iirc, headphoneaddict has been very happily pairing a CEntrance DACmini with his lcd-2. has anyone else tried this pairing or tried that unit with the ad2000?

Quote:
Ha, I just sent him a PM looking for some more info about that. I've been on the hunt for a dac upgrade but am always hesitant when it comes to the all-in-one packages. I was originally shooting for the Cary Xciter but looks like some home repairs are going to knock the budget I had for that down so what's next. I really like the Concerto with the LCD-2 but the vdac is too warm and the udac just doesn't do them justice.

Brian, if you can share any of the info that'd be great. did you have 2 sets of lcd2s? (i thought you sold a set).
there's another amp i have to wonder about possibly pairing well with both the lcd2 and the ad2k - the ps audio gcha. it's a good device that at one time got attention here, but like many other units, got forgotten about as folks moved onto other fotms.

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #10,128 of 18,459

Quote:
So I just received my tracking number from FedEx. I figured if I was lucky they would arrive on Friday, but most likely not till Wednesday till next week (being that it has to come into Canada), well, if the estimated ETA on the tracking number is correct I'm going to be a very happy listener;

Oh god please be true, I'm off Thursday so I'll be sitting next to my door impatiently waiting for them to arrive!

Pre-order Jan. 4, paid March 9 and delivered March 14.  So far I am impressed and feel lucky to have them.  I am running them SE at the moment off a DAC 19 DSP-1 and a Phoenix (not burned in yet.)  Listening to "Free man In Paris" by Joni M.  right now.  Wow!  Audio bliss..hear detail I have never noticed.  Seems to be more detail and to depth layers of vocals and everything else.

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #10,129 of 18,459
Quote:

I was referring to the Dynalo in general. The Dynalo is a DIY amp: http://www.djgardner.com/headphone/gilmore/

Quote:
what other amps are considered good matches with the ad2k? and to head back on topic, is the g-lite also good with the lcd2? would this one amp serve both these cans well?

The only other <$1K amp that I've heard that pairs well with the AD2K, but not quite as well as the GL, is the M3. Whether the GL is good with the LCD-2 or not depends on subjective perception, but IMO it is not an effective amp for the LCD-2. The GS-X, on the other hand, drives the LCD-2 relatively well, in balanced mode.

And speaking of the M3, I didn't think it was a good amp for the LCD-2 either, even in balanced mode. That is, at least my balanced M3 with the config it had. Sonically it didn't really do much for the LCD-2.

So far the two best amps I've heard for the AD2K and LCD-2 are the GS-X and B22, with the advantage going to the B22 obviously. I'd guess a Dynahi would also be a really good amp, if one were available.

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #10,130 of 18,459
I'll most likely be running them out nothing as classy to start with, that's for sure. For now (or later I should say, I don't yet have them) they'll being plugged into a NFB-12, which is my temporary cheap DAC. I'm waiting to see what Schitt does with their upcoming DAC before I invent $500-1,000 on one. I'm also stuck waiting on the Lyr, as I should be slated for the second batch at the end of this month.

Either way, went all out on the 'phones, and now slowly working on the rest of the gear. In the end I'm pumped to have them in my grubby hands.

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #10,131 of 18,459

Quote:
So far the two best amps I've heard for the AD2K and LCD-2 are the GS-X and B22, with the advantage going to the B22 obviously. I'd guess a Dynahi would also be a really good amp, if one were available.

I have read a few testimonies that the AD2K sounds excellent out of the Yamamoto HA02 as well. Personally, I can say that like the Ed8 the AD2K sounds very nice out of a quality portable rig.

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #10,132 of 18,459
Mine got shipped out as well. I picked the travelling case. I will compare it with Ultrasone ED10, using the same gear: HDTracks 192/24 -> Esoteric D-07 DAC with Siltech SPX800 Gold/Silver G7 Power Cable -> Leben CS300XS (with US$1,000 worth of tubes). Right now the rig sounds amazing with ED10. Let's see how the LCD2 stands off against the ED10 which is twice as expensive. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #10,133 of 18,459

Quote:

Brian, if you can share any of the info that'd be great. did you have 2 sets of lcd2s? (i thought you sold a set).
there's another amp i have to wonder about possibly pairing well with both the lcd2 and the ad2k - the ps audio gcha. it's a good device that at one time got attention here, but like many other units, got forgotten about as folks moved onto other fotms.

Check out the CEntrance DACmini thread in the Headphone Amplifiers forum, HA and other have posted quite a bit of info there.

I'm pretty sure I read in the LCD amplification thread that the GCHA wasn't the best match for the LCD-2's, you might try running a search in that thread to see what comes up.

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #10,134 of 18,459
Just got the thing. Looks much nicer in real than in pics. Love the wood, solid and wonderful grain. Not really as comfortable as the HD800 and O2 but still fine because I have small head, definitely more comfortable than the K1000 anyway. Good thing is my ears don't touch the driver like they did with the ED9 and AD2K, which was the main reason I couldn't live with them. The mechanism is actually more rigid than I thought. I'm not sure if I like the pads a lot, having a feeling that my ears might get sweat after a long listening duration. So far so good and I'll plug it in my B22 soon.

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #10,135 of 18,459

Quote:
Just got the thing. Looks much nicer in real than in pics. Love the wood, solid and wonderful grain. Not really as comfortable as the HD800 and O2 but still fine because I have small head, definitely more comfortable than the K1000 anyway. Good thing is my ears don't touch the driver like they did with the ED9 and AD2K, which was the main reason I couldn't live with them. The mechanism is actually more rigid than I thought. I'm not sure if I like the pads a lot, having a feeling that my ears might get sweat after a long listening duration. So far so good and I'll plug it in my B22 soon.

Wow, the wood grain on your is excellent. Want to trade? :^) The ear pads look different also. Do you have a few more shots at different angles or are you too busy listening? 

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #10,137 of 18,459
^ The wood grain does look very unique on your pair indeed. I'm expecting mine in the next few days, here's to hoping I get something similar!
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #10,138 of 18,459
Quote:
The only other <$1K amp that I've heard that pairs well with the AD2K, but not quite as well as the GL, is the M3. Whether the GL is good with the LCD-2 or not depends on subjective perception, but IMO it is not an effective amp for the LCD-2. The GS-X, on the other hand, drives the LCD-2 relatively well, in balanced mode.
And speaking of the M3, I didn't think it was a good amp for the LCD-2 either, even in balanced mode. That is, at least my balanced M3 with the config it had. Sonically it didn't really do much for the LCD-2.

well in between the g-lite and the gs-x is the gs-1. i wonder if that might do a reasonable job with either can (seeing as i have a v2-se, essentially an upgraded gs-1).

Quote:
I have read a few testimonies that the AD2K sounds excellent out of the Yamamoto HA02 as well. Personally, I can say that like the Ed8 the AD2K sounds very nice out of a quality portable rig.

which portable? are you referring to the arrow?

Quote:
Mine got shipped out as well. I picked the travelling case. I will compare it with Ultrasone ED10, using the same gear: HDTracks 192/24 -> Esoteric D-07 DAC with Siltech SPX800 Gold/Silver G7 Power Cable -> Leben CS300XS (with US$1,000 worth of tubes). Right now the rig sounds amazing with ED10. Let's see how the LCD2 stands off against the ED10 which is twice as expensive. 

do they offer a traveling case for the lcd2? what does it look like and how much is it? i look forward to hearing your impressions of it vs the ed10

Quote:
Check out the CEntrance DACmini thread in the Headphone Amplifiers forum, HA and other have posted quite a bit of info there.
I'm pretty sure I read in the LCD amplification thread that the GCHA wasn't the best match for the LCD-2's, you might try running a search in that thread to see what comes up.

i'd love to do a search, but i haven't found a way with huddler to pick through a given thread (it used to be easy to do that with keywords or looking for a specific member's posts, but this search engine -ggggrrrrrrrrr (not a happy camper!)!)

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #10,139 of 18,459
Hi all!

Newbie here :) I would like to share my experience. I first ventured into head-fi bcos I miss my hi-fi system when I'm overseas. I remembered the first time I heard the HD600 I was so smitten by how good it sounds that I bought it straight away. Over the year I heard many more from ultrasone, audio technica etc. Though I bought two more Cans, DT880 and ATH-M50, HD600 has always been my reference. One which I always go back to.

When I decided to up my scale, I looked at AKG701, Tesla T1, HD650, HD800. 701 sounded clinical, HD650 sounded dark and bloated. Tesla T1 was very good, nice mids and details much better than HD600 but I wasn't moved. HD800 was impressive, excellent soundstage and great details but still I wasn't moved. I still got back to enjoy my HD600. I thought ortho is the way to go cos I not ready to go electrostatic. Very tempted by HE6 intro price and free delivery but I was worried about amplification. LCD2 was easier to drive however with many comment of it sounded dark, kind of placed a hurdle.

Then I learned that there's a local distributor in Singapore allow audition of LCD2, I grab the chance, after a few songs comparing it with HD600 I bought it. On first listen, all my worries of it being too dark was gone. At first I thought HD600 had more bass but on further listening, I notice I'm deceived by HD600 mid bass hump giving me false impression of bass. LCD2's bass is deep tight and real. Some say it lack details. To me it is very detailed. The details it provide is not so much about space, air and plain tipped treble. It's about textures, layers, and dimensions. Music from the LCD2 had so much realism, so much body and soul. Instruments and vocals are so real, so organic. When I go back to HD600 from LCD2, the HD600 sounded cold flat lifeless. It made what I revered most sound wrong. HD800 and T1 was clearly a lot better than HD600 but they didn't made it sound wrong. I noticed LCD2 have adjusted my reference point. Brought me to a different realm of listening. On the other cans I was listening to recordings. On the LCD2, I embrace music.

Weeks passed. I have never got back to my HD600. Just my 2 cents worth.:)

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #10,140 of 18,459

Quote:

i'd love to do a search, but i haven't found a way with huddler to pick through a given thread (it used to be easy to do that with keywords or looking for a specific member's posts, but this search engine -ggggrrrrrrrrr (not a happy camper!)!)

There's a "Search This Thread" link at the top of the page under the thread title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back