Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jun 26, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #2,041 of 18,459

Quote:
What accounts for STAT/STAX setups being loved by pretty much everyone that owns them?

I think two things are mainly responsible...

• To get properly involved with a STAX system, typically takes a fairly firm financial commitment.  Once you become that involved, you will find many things to like

2. Most STAX systems truly are good...There's much to like about them!

Jun 26, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #2,042 of 18,459

Quote:
Even though I am a lover of the HE-5/LE and what I heard from the HE-6 at Canjam, I broke down and put myself on the LCD-2 waiting list. 
I got the standard form letter about a 1 month wait. I will also be spending a week with the HE-6's during the loaner program.

I'm hoping to have both at the same time so I can do so real-time comparisons. Is there anyone that, right now has both the HE-5LE and the LCD-2? I'd like to hear their impressions. My experience with the LCD-2's at Canjam and the NYC fall meet were not a great ones. Too much noise and perhaps not the right amps. I am going by the words of the people in this thread.

Right now, my 2 favorite combos are the Omega I's, old school (not O2 Mk I) with the Blue Hawaii made by Kerry (the BHKE), and my HE-5LE's right out of the speaker taps of my Dared VP300B monoblocks. 

I would be extremely pleased if the Audeze LCD-2 topped those, but that's a big task.

If anyone has a pair of LCD-2's and would like to do a 1 week swap with the HE-5LE's (obviously, my feedback is exceptional and I am an admin).
please PM me and let's see if we can share in the love. Kevin, my fellow co-worker, maybe? Buller...Bueller? It's pnly a one week request. I might be able to bater with a HE-6 instead.

Thanks in advance.

In audiophile terms when i compare LCD-2 to HE-5LE the LCD-2 is a clear winner no question about it.The LCD-2 headphone is asking for good amplification to show its best.Its unbelievable feeling to hear new things from your familiar recordings.I was comparing these phones 10 minutes ago, the LE  is liquid and it has very good timing that is the only area where some competition can take place in other areas the LCD-2 blows the LE complitely away the same with HE-5.I personally rate the LCD-2 as the best headphone available at the moment on the market and the asking price is cheap.There is probably some missunderstanding when i refer to the PS-1000,the PS has attributes wich the LCD-2 dont show this is related to the soul or purity of music,otherwise the LCD-2 blows also the PS-1000 away.The soul is something wich is personal and its difficult to share.I like to see that the HE-6 is a huge step up from LE otherwise
there excists no competition against LCD-2

Jun 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #2,043 of 18,459

Quote:

Right now, my 2 favorite combos are the Omega I's, old school (not O2 Mk I) with the Blue Hawaii made by Kerry (the BHKE), and my HE-5LE's right out of the speaker taps of my Dared VP300B monoblocks. 

I would be extremely pleased if the Audeze LCD-2 topped those, but that's a big task.

I will preface my remarks on the LCD2 by saying that I will likely put myself on the waiting list for them and/or the HD800 this year.  If, however, I currently owned an electrostatic setup like you, with the Stax 007 MKI and Blue Hawaii, I likely would add the 007 MKIIs to my system.   I thought the LCD2 sounded closer in their general presentation to the MKII in terms of being very neutral sounding and slightly dark sounding as compared to the brighter sound of the Stax 404LE which I heard paired with the Woo WES at CanJam.

Jun 26, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #2,044 of 18,459

Quote:

If i remember right i said 6 months before you that HD-800 soundstage is fake and i was one of the first who sold the HD-800 and one of the first who bought the second pair to check only if the decision was right.Nowadays you see HD-800 on ebay with pretty cheap price .My native language is not English so its not easy to be a language acrobat like you but maybe in another language.
But judging the LCD on the audiophile level i have to say that the LCD is not quite honest to the original tone,this you notice when compared to other phones like PS-1000 and this is obvious when listening to serious material like Meredith Monks works on voices.
This is very hard to notice  if not other phones are in direct comparison.

Yes, I remember you fell out of love with the 800 some time ago. And you didn't like the image from the start!~ AND?

I have no idea the gear your using, and in what combination. Also (same-to-same), the claimed reaction of the source material when using the PS-1000. The "ideal" amp for a PS-1000, ISN'T the ideal amp for an Audez'e. This phone will sound like hell from the WRONG amp. Other than the Krell mono's (heh-heh).....you have a bunch of tube stuff I would NEVER use on the LCD-2!! You want tubes and the Audez'e? Try the Leben!! I can recommend, as it can match tone for tone along with the LCD-2..... 

Tone is the crux of what these (Audez'e) do best! Voices of both (male/female) are the most clear and natural, with above average articulation that I have heard. This morning it was a Mapleshade recording (07932) called "The Angels...Live and Joyful in Charleston". A Gospel work the defines challenging voices!! Hot Damn! Singles, Duo's, Quartets to Octets, then full Choir! It's Authentic Gospel from quiet, heart rendering to stompin' n' Rocking! It's been a voice standard for me since 2001, and is used to test vocal range of gear! The best and most enjoyable playback of this has included the Audez'e.   

Anything a stat' can do, these will do as well. Better! (better overall frequency range IMO)

If your pointing to ONE example...what I'm thinking is that you enjoyed the coloration provided, by the over-resonant/prominent nature of the PS-1000 on a particular piece of material. It tickled your ear fancy....and you have to determine whats natural for you. That's my opinion! And it will differ form yours...that's what makes it interesting!

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #2,045 of 18,459

Quote:
"Balanced" for headphones is an industry misnomer, a veritable marketing breakthrough.

But the setups offer more cajoles and better instrumental separation derived from a "balanced" source (IMO). The industry loves the ground scheme for electronics.

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #2,046 of 18,459
balanced+ACSS on the ref5/roc destroys the single ended stuff I have tried, but of course I havent tried single ended amps like cavalli and leben yet.... I should have a Leben in under a month to compare however.

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #2,047 of 18,459

Quote:
balanced+ACSS on the ref5/roc destroys the single ended stuff I have tried, but of course I havent tried single ended amps like cavalli and leben yet.... I should have a Leben in under a month to compare however.

Be prepared to make coochie noises and to fall in love all over again. Takes about 40 hrs to settle in (rather quick actually).

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #2,048 of 18,459

Quote:
What accounts for STAT/STAX setups being loved by pretty much everyone that owns them?

Because Stax are awesome. A 30yr old Lambda with a transformer box can be had quite cheaply, and will still punch well above its weight compared to a similarly price modern-day dynamic setup.

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #2,049 of 18,459

Quote:
But the setups offer more cajoles and better instrumental separation derived from a balanced source (IMO). The industry loves the ground scheme for electronics.

Is something better because it's really better, or because something's "balanced?"

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #2,051 of 18,459
The soul of the music lies within the artist.. If someone needs a crutch, aka, 'fun' headphone in order to get 'emotion attachment' out of music, then it's the artist or music at fault.. Ibuds or R10 a emotional attachment should be made.

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #2,052 of 18,459

Quote:
The soul of the music lies within the artist.. If someone needs a crutch, aka, 'fun' headphone in order to get 'emotion attachment' out of music, then it's the artist or music at fault.. Ibuds or R10 a emotional attachment should be made.

The point I think I have to reiterate is that "natural" is among most descriptions that people glean from exposure to the Audez'e. Naturalness is emotive in that demonstrates soul or essence of the Musical message. That's the Audez'e (properly powered of course), and with worthy source and material, strives to maintain that stance regardless of genre. Bond with the material when possible, not a special coloration.

Anyone (in general) talking about the quality of a phone they possess. Example "my phone has GREAT Bass"! What they listen for is the next great bass note to come down the pipe and dis-regard the rest of the Music.

That's how the Audez'e differs from the 800...everything is highlighted evenly (with balance true to itself), rather than the 800 spot-lighting. Now the 800's are gone my ears have stopped ringing! Damn phone was making me deaf, you need to maintain a higher level for any semblance of balance from the 800....

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #2,053 of 18,459
Jun 26, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #2,054 of 18,459

Quote:
The point I think I have to reiterate is that "natural" is among most descriptions that people glean from exposure to the Audez'e. Naturalness is emotive in that demonstrates soul or essence of the Musical message. That's the Audez'e (properly powered of course), and with worthy source and material, strives to maintain that stance regardless of genre. Bond with the material when possible, not a special coloration.

Anyone (in general) talking about the quality of a phone they possess. Example "my phone has GREAT Bass"! What they listen for is the next great bass note to come down the pipe and dis-regard the rest of the Music.

That's how the Audez'e differs from the 800...everything is highlighted evenly (with balance true to itself), rather than the 800 spot-lighting. Now the 800's are gone my ears have stopped ringing! Damn phone was making me deaf, you need to maintain a higher level for any semblance of balance from the 800....

Well said!

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #2,055 of 18,459
Hey you guys know what I just realized that is really funny?

I don't recall reading any posts about this headphone being superfluous as we already have the omnipotent K70X yet.

T1 and HD 800 threads have plenty but none hurr.

That, gentlemen is very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back