Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Sep 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #17,506 of 18,459
That follow-up perfectly summarizes what the majority of rev.2 owners have tried to convey in the last 200 pages. Too bad it'll soon be buried and the detractors will resume the same tired routines.

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #17,507 of 18,459

Quote:
I suggested the open design means the diaphragm is still coupled to the room...but this is interesting. The further implication is those who have a compromised 'seal' - e.g. because we wear glasses - will not experience the full bass capability of the LCD2?

Actually it is like a sealed (with losses) loudspeaker box in reverse. We are hearing the pressure inside the box (which in our case is never completely sealed, it has small vents - but nothing to do with bass reflex though).
Yes, better seal means more extended response to low frequencies, that is the reason why leather pads make headphones more bass extended.
It seems that LCD-2 bass is extending to even subsonic levels, so even if something (like glasses) is deteriorating it a bit, I do not thing it will be really audible, only in some extreme cases maybe (when the  frame of the glasses is thick).

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #17,508 of 18,459
Quote:
That follow-up perfectly summarizes what the majority of rev.2 owners have tried to convey in the last 200 pages. Too bad it'll soon be buried and the detractors will resume the same tired routines.

A moderator could make a 'best of the LCD-2 Orthos thread' thread.

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #17,510 of 18,459

Audeze: Thank you!!

Last week I waited not so patiently all day for FedEx to deliver my new Audeze LCD2rev2's.  They finally arrived and I carefully opened the cardboard box, then the travel case...........and there they were.  I only needed to clip the two black plastic zip-ties holding each earpiece so they wouldn't slosh about in the case.  Grabbed my Snap-on wire cutters and clipped the first one.  On to the second............I'm a bit close to the grill............clip...........pull off the tie........is that lint on the....Ohhh.......son...........of......a............I snipped the one rib on the grill!  Reeling at my own stupidity I shoot off an email to them explaining what I've done, that it's my fault, please email me an invoice and send me out another.  A day later I get and email that they've sent me a new one free-of-charge.

I just got the new grill (actually they sent me a complete two piece grill kit).  Carefully and I mean like NASA clean room stuff I replace the grill.  Perfect.

Thank you again Audeze!!!

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #17,511 of 18,459
Today i tested the bees wax Audeze provides for woodcare on the leather. I applied the wax and it was absorbed within few hours. No odor remained. However there were white traces left, maybe due to the fact i didnt preemptively cleaned them from "dirt". Previously i used a leather cleaner and conditionner that was composed of two separate bottles and it did a better job.

Conclusion : you can use the bee wax provided to feed the leather, but IMO it is not optimum
ph34r.gif

Sep 1, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #17,512 of 18,459

Quote:

Audeze: Thank you!!

Last week I waited not so patiently all day for FedEx to deliver my new Audeze LCD2rev2's.  They finally arrived and I carefully opened the cardboard box, then the travel case...........and there they were.  I only needed to clip the two black plastic zip-ties holding each earpiece so they wouldn't slosh about in the case.  Grabbed my Snap-on wire cutters and clipped the first one.  On to the second............I'm a bit close to the grill............clip...........pull off the tie........is that lint on the....Ohhh.......son...........of......a............I snipped the one rib on the grill!  Reeling at my own stupidity I shoot off an email to them explaining what I've done, that it's my fault, please email me an invoice and send me out another.  A day later I get and email that they've sent me a new one free-of-charge.

I just got the new grill (actually they sent me a complete two piece grill kit).  Carefully and I mean like NASA clean room stuff I replace the grill.  Perfect.

Thank you again Audeze!!!

It's a good thing you are NOT a surgeon!   

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #17,515 of 18,459
pretty much

Quote:
So in summary, both are extremely neutral on the low end, however the r2 is slightly more neutral on the high end than the r1?

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #17,516 of 18,459
Thanks for the clarification 
beerchug.gif

Still, this tempts me to do some listening tests with and without glasses sometime soon! Cheers.

Quote:
Actually it is like a sealed (with losses) loudspeaker box in reverse <snip>
It seems that LCD-2 bass is extending to even subsonic levels, so even if something (like glasses) is deteriorating it a bit, I do not thing it will be really audible, only in some extreme cases maybe (when the  frame of the glasses is thick).

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #17,518 of 18,459

Quote:
So in summary, both are extremely neutral on the low end, however the r2 is slightly more neutral on the high end than the r1?

Did you even read the article jax quoted? Your "summary" is barely half of what is outlined. Here's the rest:

Quote:
But the changes don’t stop with these
frequency-response changes, because the
new Revision 2 drivers also improve other
more qualitative aspects of the LCD-2’s sound.
Specifically, they improve the LCD-2’s already
exceptional ability to resolve
extremely fine,
low level textural details, so that the ‘phones
now exhibit an even more finely focused and
fine-grained sound than the original version
did. Moreover, the Revision 2 drivers give the
LCD-2’s even faster and—where recordings so
warrant—more energetic transient response

than the original version could provide, which
is no small improvement given how good the
LCD-2 was to begin with.

And here's the unambiguous conclusion for those struggling to comprehend. It's much clearer when read in isolation:

Quote:
Listeners who might have
felt the original LCD-2 sounded a bit too “dark”
will, I think, find the new Revision 2 drivers give
the LCD-2 a noticeably more balanced sound,
yet without undercutting any of its inherent
richness, smoothness, or midrange “magic.”

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #17,519 of 18,459
Unambiguous, but controversial. Much of the mid range "richness" and "magic" has been lost with the Rev 2 IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back