Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 31, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #17,491 of 18,459

Quote:
Can you be more specific about the resonance/reverberation issue?   Exactly what does it sound like and how is it manifested?   I heard some artifacts in two conditions not sure if they are what you are referring to but the phrase resonance/reverberation seems familiar.   How long have your LCD-s burned in?  I heard something like what you might be referring to in the very beginning but most all of it left after extensive burn in and then when I switched out the Audeze stock cable for the Q cable the last little bit disappeared.   ( now I'm too lazy to put the stock cable back in the mix).    

Heyya WarriorAnt! Glad to see you back on here! I respect your opinion and knowledge greatly.

I'll be as specific as I can about the resonance/reverberant issue.... and in hindsight I should have kept the piece of dialog I was editing on hand to reproduce the phenomenon... but it's a short (guess would be 0.3 to 0.5s) tail that is added to a certain frequency or multiple frequencies....and on a guess (memory hopefully doing me a favor) the excitation frequency would be somewhere between 400 and 700hz (or a harmonic thereof).  Timbrally, it reminds me of a very short decay plate reverb, so I'm leaning towards metallic in origin... dynamically my guess is it appears to ring approx 16-20dB down from the source signal (again, that **** piece of dialogue I should have kept).

Due to the nature of my work, Its only a matter of time until I encounter this again, and I will be far more thorough in my investigation next time. One thing I DID check however, was make sure this resonance was not part of the environment I was listening in (outside of the headphones).

Cheers,
Dustin

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #17,492 of 18,459
anyone ever tried a digizoid ZO with the LCD-2's?
if anyone has one that could try this i would be very curious to hear impressions.

I'm planning on getting one when v2 comes out.

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #17,493 of 18,459
That's a problem for me as well because I bought them second hand and they didnt come with the wood cleaner. Can you tell me what product it is? I might be able to find someone who sells it here

it is a combination of Caranuba and beeswax with some orange oil. Knowing the excellent customer service Audeze give I bet if you dropped them a line they would send you some!

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #17,495 of 18,459

Quote:
Due to the nature of my work, Its only a matter of time until I encounter this again, and I will be far more thorough in my investigation next time. One thing I DID check however, was make sure this resonance was not part of the environment I was listening in (outside of the headphones).

Cheers,
Dustin

Next time you run across a piece of dialogue save it and send it to me.  Save it as a lossless file and PM me and I'll send you a link that you can transfer it to so it won't matter how large the clip is.  I'd love to analyze it in my DAW and with the LCD-2's.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::Edit like the wind:::::::::::::::::::::::

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #17,496 of 18,459
That's great advice. Thanks a lot! 
smile.gif

Quote:
Just use some water. It isn't going to hurt them, trust me. I used to do fine leather products as a profession, custom boots, purses, belts etc. The boots were always wet when worked and I used leather that would cost 50 dollars a square foot. Anyway, just dampen it. 

Sep 1, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #17,498 of 18,459

Quote:
Let's see, 1130ft/sec/100Hz = 11.3ft, that's the wavelength of a 100Hz. You need a room with at least that dimension to hear a true 100Hz, let alone a speaker that can reproduce it.

Quote:
This is always the formula I think about when I hear the thumping coming from someones car.  The occupants never realizes there is no bass actually happening in the car itself.  Its all second , third and fourth harmonics.  Mostly the amplitudes of the upper harmonics.

I believe you have made an error applying open field sound wave propagation to headphones. As you have noticed, low frequency sound waves could not be present in a small confined space like the one between the headphone driver and the ear drum. That doesn’t mean that there should not be any movement of the ear drum in these low frequencies!
Low frequency headphone generated sound does not really produce a sound wave but just a pressure inside this small confined space. This pressure forces the ear drum to move. That is why Audeze made the pads so thick and the clamp so strong, trying to make the ‘seal’ tight and so keep the produced sound pressure inside this space till very-very low frequencies.
For me this has a potential small drawback. There is some subsonic sound recorded to music (or generated by the record player). This sound, although it is not really heard, could induce some listening fatigue.  

Sep 1, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #17,499 of 18,459
I suggested the open design means the diaphragm is still coupled to the room...but this is interesting. The further implication is those who have a compromised 'seal' - e.g. because we wear glasses - will not experience the full bass capability of the LCD2?

Quote:
I believe you have made an error applying open field sound wave propagation to headphones. As you have noticed, low frequency sound waves could not be present in a small confined space like the one between the headphone driver and the ear drum. That doesn’t mean that there should not be any movement of the ear drum in these low frequencies! Low frequency headphone generated sound does not really produce a sound wave but just a pressure inside this small confined space. This pressure forces the ear drum to move. That is why Audeze made the pads so thick and the clamp so strong, trying to make the ‘seal’ tight and so keep the produced sound pressure inside this space till very-very low frequencies.
For me this has a potential small drawback. There is some subsonic sound recorded to music (or generated by the record player). This sound, although it is not really heard, could induce some listening fatigue.  

Sep 1, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #17,500 of 18,459
That's a problem for me as well because I bought them second hand and they didnt come with the wood cleaner. Can you tell me what product it is? I might be able to find someone who sells it here

it is a combination of Caranuba and beeswax with some orange oil. Knowing the excellent customer service Audeze give I bet if you dropped them a line they would send you some!

For those interested in that polish, it's called Howard's Feed N Wax. You can buy it on Amazon for around $10, I ordered a bottle myself.

Sep 1, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #17,501 of 18,459
Thanks. I note that Howard also sells a leather conditioning cream.

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #17,502 of 18,459
What tool is needed for removing the yokes, before applying oil?

No tools involved, you just need to used your fingers to remove the yokes, I find it easier to remove the one at the back first.

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #17,503 of 18,459
God bless Howard, his goods are great for keeping our gear in excellent condition.

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #17,505 of 18,459
You can download a copy of Playback Magazine's (TAS online) complete headphone buyers guide here.  There is a copy of Chris Martens follow up review of the LCD-2 with rev. 2 drivers in it, as well as the original review.  FWIW, here's his take on the differences between the two.  Of particular note is that he manages to get through the entire review without using the word "Creamy".  This is only the portion describing the differences, as he heard them:

Quote:

SONIC CHARACTER, LCD-2 WITH
REVISION 2 DRIVERS

If you haven’t already read our full-length
review of the original LCD-2, now would
probably be a good time to do so (see the
link above), since my intent is to discuss the
effects of Audeze’s new Revision 2 drivers in
the context of the core sound that I’ve already
described for the original LCD-2.
What differences can listeners expect from
Audeze’s Revision 2 drivers?
Our finding was that the new drivers do change
the overall sonic signature of the LCD-2 to
some extent though in comparatively subtle
ways (think more in terms of evolutionary
rather than revolutionary changes). Some of
those changes influence the response curves
of the headphones in small but audible (and
measurable) ways, while others change the
LCD-2’s ability to resolve low-level details and
its ability to respond to fast-rising transient
sounds in the music.
First, let’s discuss changes that affect the
LCD-2’s overall tonal balance or response
curves. In my review of the original LCD-
2 I wrote that, “the headphone sounds
extraordinarily smooth and evenly balanced
from the lowest bass notes right on up through
the middle of the midrange.” That statement is
still true, but with several small yet significant
differences. The original LCD-2 measured
virtually dead-flat from the bottom of the low
end right on up to about 1kHz, above which
point the response curve rolled downward
until—at about 2kHz—output reached a
plateau, of sorts, where upper midrange and
treble frequencies were fairly evenly balanced,
but shelved downward in level relative to the
bass and mids. These balanced but downwardshelved
upper mids and highs led me to say of
the original headphone that some listener might
find it had a “slightly ‘dark sounding’ cast.”
With the new Revision 2 drivers in play, the
LCD-2’s broad region of flat response now
reaches higher than it originally did (up to
roughly 2kHz), with a more gradual decline
in output above that point that reaches an
approximate plateau at around 3kHz - 4kHz,
and with noticeably more upper midrange
and treble output above that point than
before. These sonic changes do not alter the
fundamental character of the new-generation
LCD-2, which is still very much anchored by
that incredibly broad, smooth, neutrally-voiced
response curve from the bass region on up
through the midrange. However, these changes
do directly address the original LCD-2’s
potential problem of a slightly dark-sounding
character. With current-generation LCD-2, mids
seem to open up more, as do upper midrange
and treble transient sounds, reverberations,
and high harmonics. In short, the Revision 2
drivers make current generation LCD-2’s more
accurately balanced headphones overall.
But the changes don’t stop with these
frequency-response changes, because the
new Revision 2 drivers also improve other
more qualitative aspects of the LCD-2’s sound.
Specifically, they improve the LCD-2’s already
exceptional ability to resolve extremely fine,
low level textural details, so that the ‘phones
now exhibit an even more finely focused and
fine-grained sound than the original version
did. Moreover, the Revision 2 drivers give the
LCD-2’s even faster and—where recordings so
warrant—more energetic transient response
than the original version could provide, which
is no small improvement given how good the
LCD-2 was to begin with.
Together, the qualitative and frequency