Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jun 11, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #1,726 of 18,459
Quote:
Ed, dammit would you stop spewing this? THE CABLE WAS WIRED CORRECTLY!! Sankar told me this several days ago and asked me to hold off until they could do some tests on their dummy head to see if there was a potential problem elsewhere and formulate a reply which they are doing now. Please you have ZERO evidence that the cable was wired out of anything. So stop it. You are like a broken record on that impressions thread.  
Take a gander at the measurements that Tyll just posted HERE Take a look also at the HD800.
Jesus!

Ken

This is an extremely unprofessional post coming from a vendor & sponsor and if I were considering buying anything from you earlier (not that I was anyway, but just saying), then I would not buy anything from you now.

Just because the MOT posting rules are more lax now doesn't mean you have to be unprofessional.

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #1,727 of 18,459

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #1,728 of 18,459

Quote:
While the LCD-2's are one of the more "efficient" of orthos, they will likely still need a decent amp.  I was able to drive an LCD-2 with a Pico Slim, but just barely, and it still clipped a little with certain very dynamic tracks.

Good call Ed, you are absolutely correct!
Thx,
k

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #1,729 of 18,459

Quote:
^^^i would be really surprised if the Pico Slim drove the LCD-2 properly at all. 

The LCD-2 is more inefficient than the Fostex T50RP and the driver is quite huge compared to that of the T50RP driver.

I wouldn't have any illusions of grandeur about driving the LCD-2 un-amped or inadequately amped.

Actually, from my experience, the LCD-2 seems to be on par with the T50RP in terms of efficiency at low volumes, but of course, as you say, they deserve a great amp to sound their best. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #1,730 of 18,459

Quote:
This is an extremely unprofessional post coming from a vendor & sponsor and if I were considering buying anything from you earlier (not that I was anyway, but just saying), then I would not buy anything from you now.

Just because the MOT posting rules are more lax now doesn't mean you have to be unprofessional.

lol..I don't find anything objectionable or unprofessional in that post by Ken. He is well within his right to address slander as slander. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #1,731 of 18,459

Quote:

Ed, dammit would you stop spewing this? THE CABLE WAS WIRED CORRECTLY!! Sankar told me this several days ago and asked me to hold off until they could do some tests on their dummy head to see if there was a potential problem elsewhere and formulate a reply which they are doing now. Please you have ZERO evidence that the cable was wired out of anything. So stop it. You are like a broken record on that impressions thread.

Take a gander at the measurements that Tyll just posted HERE Take a look also at the HD800.
Jesus!

Ken

If you had bothered to read through that thread, there was a clarification posted by Kevin Gilmore that it was an absolute phase issue, and I also posted that I had not had a chance to listen to a stock pair of LCD-2's for comparison.

Sorry if you are taking the confusion the wrong way. 

Either way, I heard what I heard.  As to what is to blame is still up in the air.  If what you are saying that the cables were wired properly is true, then something was still amiss with the LCD-2's I heard.   I stand by what I said that the LCD-2 I heard at CanJam did not sound right, it's soundstage and imaging were "off".  I had a few test tracks that are very sensitive to absolute phase, and sounded very off.

Quote:

Not really lax, the new forum moderation tools suck, they are being in the process of being fixed, but as it stands, it makes moderating multiple forums much more difficult than before the forum change.

-Ed

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #1,732 of 18,459

Quote:
Actually, from my experience, the LCD-2 seems to be on par with the T50RP in terms of efficiency at low volumes, but of course, as you say, they deserve a great amp to sound their best. 

Umm..I am not following you here Kevin. The T50RP is no match to the LCD-2 in terms of low level detail retrieval or full dynamic response, but going by specs, the T50RP is more efficient. What I would hate for people to start thinking is that they will sound great straight out of an ipod or an amp like the pico slim. They'll output sound alright, but my hope would be that people considering buying these headphones plan on something more substantial and deserving. Just saying..but heck, if someone is happy with their ipod or whatever little itty bitty amp driving their headphones..fair enough. rock on.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #1,735 of 18,459

Quote:
Either way, I heard what I heard.  As to what is to blame is still up in the air, but  I stand by what I said that the LCD-2 I heard at CanJam did not sound right, it's soundstage and imaging were "off".  I had a few test tracks that are very sensitive to absolute phase, and sounded very off.
-Ed

Exactly..we don't know what caused this change in phase that you claim to have heard. Sources and amps induce phase shift too...could very well be that the LCD-2 is just so resolving that you could hear this phase shift in the electronics out of the LCD-2  (probably cause of the ALO cable as well..it is just so resolving). But resorting to jumping to conclusions and pointing fingers at the cable 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #1,737 of 18,459
It seems worth saying that whatever happened at canjam, no one who buys either a stock LCD-2, or an ALO recabled LCD-2 will have any problems with phase shift.  Whether Ken made a mistake or not, he is now going to be more careful than anyone else when he's wiring up LCD-2's, and he is now likely one of the safest people to have recable your LCD-2.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #1,738 of 18,459

Quote:

Exactly..we don't know what caused this change in phase that you claim to have heard. Sources and amps induce phase shift too...could very well be that the LCD-2 is just so resolving that you could hear this phase shift in the electronics out of the LCD-2  (probably cause of the ALO cable as well..it is just so resolving). But to resorting to jumping to conclusions and pointing fingers at the cable 
rolleyes.gif

I used my own gear to listen to the ALO wired LCD-2 at CanJam in Tyll's measurement room.  I've used that same source and amp combo on quite a few headphones, so it's very unlikely that every other headphone was out of phase and the LCD-2 I briefly auditioned was the only one in phase.

Again, it's my ears, it's what I heard.  If that's how it's supposed to sound, then that's what it is.

-Ed

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #1,739 of 18,459

Quote:
I used my own gear to listen to the ALO wired LCD-2 at CanJam in Tyll's measurement room.  I've used that same source and amp combo on quite a few headphones, so it's very unlikely that every other headphone was out of phase and the LCD-2 I briefly auditioned was the only one in phase.

Again, it's my ears, it's what I heard.  If that's how it's supposed to sound, then that's what it is.

-Ed

Ed..don't want to get into a back and forth thing with you here..

The LCD-2 isn't just any other headphone in my view. It is hella resolving and quite possible that you did hear it only on that. 

I have heard speaker systems going into thousands of $$, when only one or two that are exceptional could show phase shift in the electronics when they were being swapped about. 

Lets just get past this now shall we..at least until proven one way or the other.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #1,740 of 18,459

Quote:
Does any body know how pairs have been delivered so far and how many people are on the list. I am curious as to how many pairs they can produce weekly and how the ones that have been delivered have been performing to date,

I guess no one has any idea's or answer to my question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back