Audeze LCD-2 : is the Matrix Mini-I enough to drive it ?
Apr 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Parpadello

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody !

I'm about to buy an Audeze LCD-2, and wondering if my setup will be enough to drive it.

I actually own a Matrix Mini-I :

It's specs :

1. Digital Input:
    - Optical: toslink, 32-192kHz
    - Coaxial: 75 ohm RCA/BNC, 32-192kHz
    - USB: USB-B, 44.1-48kHz
    - AES/EBU: Standard XLR balanced, 32-192kHz
  2. Digital Output:
    - Coaxial RCA
    - 32-192kHz
    - Support AC3/DTS Pass Through
  3. Analog Interface:
    - RCA/XLR
    - Frequency Response: 20-20kHz
    - Signal to Noise Ratio: 105dB
    - Dynamic Range: 108dB
    - Distortion 0.0002% (1kHz)

Do you think it would be enough to drive the LCD2 efficiently ? What would be the changes to make (mean buy) to be able to drive it at its maximum ?

The phone itself is already expensive, and I don't think I'll be able to spend tons of money then, but I'll take any advices
wink.gif

Thanks !!

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 8
Should be able to drive them and hold You over till You save up for a better amp, You could look at the Schiit Lyr Tube/ Hybrid amp which will drive them to the sound You desire! The Lyr goes for $449. US. You can read up on it on this site. I know there will be a few more amp suggestion's to come Your way! Be patient!!!

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Should be able to drive them and hold You over till You save up for a better amp, You could look at the Schiit Lyr Tube/ Hybrid amp which will drive them to the sound You desire! The Lyr goes for $449. US. You can read up on it on this site. I know there will be a few more amp suggestion's to come Your way! Be patient!!!

Thanks Frankie K, I'll look for the Shiit Lyr then but indeed it's $449 :) It's a beautiful piece though, but then I don't know if it would be a good choice to pair it with the Matrix Mini-I.

I just saw some topics concerning the amp to pair with the LCD-2, I'll try to check if there's a specific feedback concerning the Matrix.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 8
If Your not sure and want to get some more info about the Schiit Lyr amp, You can check out 2 thread's, 1 was done by Jude (Administrator) about the amp and the other is called LCD-2 + (Schiit Lyr vs. Headroom Balanced), You can check this one out and read some of the replie's between member's and join in and ask specific question's that might help clarify some thing's for You.

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 8
The LCD-2 are very picky on amps and the Matrix mini by itself won't be sufficient. I personally thought even the Lyr was not good enough when compared to the other amps I've heard the LCD-2 with but it should suffice.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 8
If Your not sure and want to get some more info about the Schiit Lyr amp, You can check out 2 thread's, 1 was done by Jude (Administrator) about the amp and the other is called LCD-2 + (Schiit Lyr vs. Headroom Balanced), You can check this one out and read some of the replie's between member's and join in and ask specific question's that might help clarify some thing's for You.

I'll read more about the Lyr then, on these two topics. Thanks again Frankie.

Brasewel, what would be your amp choice then ?

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 8
Well I thought it sounded great off the Woo WA6SE, absolutely stunning on the WA22 and "pick your jaws off the floor" through the RWA Balanced amp. If you budget is less than a $1000 I would get the Woo WA6, if its ~$1k, WA6SE so on and so forth. You could always tube roll later.

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 8
The thing with the Lyr is tube rolling or upgrading from the stock tube's that come with it, there are a few brand's You can look into, the Genalex Gold Lion 6922 is one that has been recommended by some of the member's, the second thread mention's those and 2 other's. Don't pull Your hair out just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back