Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #1,711 of 13,134
  Really, really enjoying my LCD-2's. Took a gamble and sold my HD800 in favor of these as the Senn's weren't quite doing it for me. Really digging what the Audeze brings to the table and find myself enjoying my music way more. HD800 were technically astounding but I was finding them pretty lifeless over time. Might be attributed to not having the correct gear to pair it with, but I'm just enjoying the LCD-2 leagues more. 

Are the LCD2s a brand new pair? If so, how's the clamping force, and the softness (or hardness) of the earpads? Leather or suede? I demoed a pair a couple weeks ago, and also fell in love with them, but the hardness of the pads and the clamping force made me hesitate.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #1,712 of 13,134
Really, really enjoying my LCD-2's. Took a gamble and sold my HD800 in favor of these as the Senn's weren't quite doing it for me. Really digging what the Audeze brings to the table and find myself enjoying my music way more. HD800 were technically astounding but I was finding them pretty lifeless over time. Might be attributed to not having the correct gear to pair it with, but I'm just enjoying the LCD-2 leagues more. 

Hd 800s are very rewarding once you get a setup that works for them, on a bad setup they can definitely sound bright or lifeless, but with a nice source and tube amp, they are really good!

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #1,714 of 13,134
  Are the LCD2s a brand new pair? If so, how's the clamping force, and the softness (or hardness) of the earpads? Leather or suede? I demoed a pair a couple weeks ago, and also fell in love with them, but the hardness of the pads and the clamping force made me hesitate.

Don't let your experience scare you. Even with my older LCD-2s, the clamping force decreased significantly over time and the pads also softened up. It just takes a few months of use and patience. If you love the LCD-2s sonics, I think you can probably figure out the comfort part with time.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #1,715 of 13,134
  Don't let your experience scare you. Even with my older LCD-2s, the clamping force decreased significantly over time and the pads also softened up. It just takes a few months of use and patience. If you love the LCD-2s sonics, I think you can probably figure out the comfort part with time.

Thanks.

Any input on vegan ear pads vs leather? It seems that anyone who has tried the vegan has found them more comfortable. Audeze says the firmness between them is the same though.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,716 of 13,134
Hd 800s are very rewarding once you get a setup that works for them, on a bad setup they can definitely sound bright or lifeless, but with a nice source and tube amp, they are really good!

Definitely. I've demoed them on various higher-end set-ups at meets and they do scale well, but I still don't find them my thing. 

On another note, I'm pretty sure it's your old LCD-2 that I have. 
smile.gif

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #1,717 of 13,134

Definitely. I've demoed them on various higher-end set-ups at meets and they do scale well, but I still don't find them my thing. 

On another note, I'm pretty sure it's your old LCD-2 that I have. 
smile.gif

LOL!!

yes they are! u traded with leadbythemelody? i hope you like them! 

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #1,718 of 13,134
my lcd-2s arrived last Wednesday. running them using CLAS-R and a Portphile 627x. Sound great. Vastly superior to my Ultrasone Pro 900s and AKG 701s.

Loving the musicality!

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #1,719 of 13,134
  my lcd-2s arrived last Wednesday. running them using CLAS-R and a Portphile 627x. Sound great. Vastly superior to my Ultrasone Pro 900s and AKG 701s.

Loving the musicality!

Oh man if thats what you came from, and I'm not badmouthing either of those, you must be in LOVE right now haha. Oddly enough I'm one of the few people who think the 701's are still competitive amongst top-tier cans regardless of price. That can is very special to the few people who appreciate it's err "unique" signature.

Whew it feels good to be back on Head-Fi.

Sep 11, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #1,720 of 13,134
What can I do to increase energy/liveliness of my LCD-2s? I like their sound, but sometimes I am lacking some speed and energy. (Even my HE-400 are better in this regard).
My setup is quite budget and typical: Bifrost + Lyr (with stock GE tubes). 
Can Bifrost Uber-upgrade or different tubes for Lyr help in a noticeable way?

Sep 11, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #1,721 of 13,134
  What can I do to increase energy/liveliness of my LCD-2s? I like their sound, but sometimes I am lacking some speed and energy. (Even my HE-400 are better in this regard).
My setup is quite budget and typical: Bifrost + Lyr (with stock GE tubes). 
Can Bifrost Uber-upgrade or different tubes for Lyr help in a noticeable way?

You're right the HE-400 is better in that regard and thats all that really is.

I wouldn't consider Bifrost and Lyr a budget setup, in fact ask us a year ago and it would have been one of the stronger setups you could buy for under $1000 :)

Tubes CAN help but I found it was a matter of preference for a lot of them. Older NOS tubes have a wide range of tone and the tube rolling alone is one reason to buy Lyr entirely! To be honest the Lyr is actually one of the best performing amps IMO for the money, there are a few things you can do to adjust the tonality of your rig in small amounts, but nothing that would just slap on a bunch of enjoyment in areas of the LCD-2 signature that you are not happy with.

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #1,723 of 13,134

You're right the HE-400 is better in that regard and thats all that really is.

I wouldn't consider Bifrost and Lyr a budget setup, in fact ask us a year ago and it would have been one of the stronger setups you could buy for under $1000 :)

Tubes CAN help but I found it was a matter of preference for a lot of them. Older NOS tubes have a wide range of tone and the tube rolling alone is one reason to buy Lyr entirely! To be honest the Lyr is actually one of the best performing amps IMO for the money, there are a few things you can do to adjust the tonality of your rig in small amounts, but nothing that would just slap on a bunch of enjoyment in areas of the LCD-2 signature that you are not happy with.

This sounds like an honest answer. I would probably have to go with an entirely different headphone to get the desired speed and energy.
Thanks!

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #1,724 of 13,134
Consider new headphone cables. Friend of mine ordered from Earstream.eu to his LCD2 , and indeed the heights are more brillant

Nice advertisement!:)

To be honest I could expect a little improvement from a better suited cable, but based on my previous experience I don't believe cables would make sufficient difference in this regard for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back