Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #1,636 of 13,134
Can I join the LCD-2 club?

Have a new pair of Bamboo's sitting in a box at home. Arrived just before I left for work!

Currently listen to HD650's and Grado RS1i's via iPod or Galaxy S4 -> CLAS -> ALO RX II.

Hoping that I can get some sound out of the LCD-2s while my wallet saves up for a home amp...

So excited I'm making my first head-fi post!

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #1,637 of 13,134
Sorry for double posting but not sure which is the right thread.

Anyway can anyone share their impressions of the differences in sound of the Burson / Schiit / ALO?

My plan is to get LCD2/3, and either the Soloist, Mjolnir or the PanAm (with battery PS).

Thanks.

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #1,638 of 13,134
Quote:
Can I join the LCD-2 club?

Have a new pair of Bamboo's sitting in a box at home. Arrived just before I left for work!

Currently listen to HD650's and Grado RS1i's via iPod or Galaxy S4 -> CLAS -> ALO RX II.

Hoping that I can get some sound out of the LCD-2s while my wallet saves up for a home amp...

So excited I'm making my first head-fi post!

WELCOME!
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #1,642 of 13,134
Quote:
B22 or Mjonir. The Soloist is "ok" a lot better than the previous Burson offerings the 160A and such (personal pref).

+1 i agree with defqon, go with Mjolnir over Soloist for LCD cans.

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #1,645 of 13,134
So I have a LCD-2.2 coming in the mail with a Silver Dragon Cable. Got a sweet deal for $750 :)

Now comes the question of driving these babies. I am conflicted with what to use my budget on...

The cable is 4pin, which makes my decision a bit difficult. I am interested in some schiit audio stuff obviously, but I'm not sure whether I should go with the Mjolnir+Cheap DAC (perhaps a modi?) or should I go for a Bifrost/Lyr? Any suggestions?

On a different note. I'm quite excited and all giddy inside :)

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #1,646 of 13,134
So I have a LCD-2.2 coming in the mail with a Silver Dragon Cable. Got a sweet deal for $750 :)

Now comes the question of driving these babies. I am conflicted with what to use my budget on...

The cable is 4pin, which makes my decision a bit difficult. I am interested in some schiit audio stuff obviously, but I'm not sure whether I should go with the Mjolnir+Cheap DAC (perhaps a modi?) or should I go for a Bifrost/Lyr? Any suggestions?

On a different note. I'm quite excited and all giddy inside :)

Congratulations. The Modi is definitely a limiting factor in a Modi/Mjolnir/LCD2.2 chain. I'll tell you from my own testing that a Gungnir/Magni/LCD2.2 sounds better to me than a Modi/Mjolnir/LCD2.2 chain. Not close to ideal, but a little better. The Mjolnir is a much better match for the LCD2.2 than the Lyr. I love the Lyr with some nice tubes, but the touch of warmth and tube harmonics don't do the LCD2.2 any favors. Haven't heard the ODAC with the Mjolnir, but some people like it more than the Modi.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #1,648 of 13,134
I auditioned a pair of Audeze LCD2 headphones last week through the Cable Company. Unfortunately they didn't have a set with the velour pads (the guy wasn't aware there was such a thing available 
size]
). But in any case,  I really liked the sound signature a lot. What I didn't care for is the clamping pressure on my skull which I believe was exacerbated by the hardness of the leather pads. As per Audeze's advice, I tried stretching them using some books overnight....I only did it a couple nights and I did it gently, not overly doing it as I didn't own them. That did help somewhat. I sent them back, rather disappointed that the comfort level appeared to be a deal breaker. I talked to someone at the Cable Company and even though they do not have a model with the velour pads available for demo, they would not take back a new pair should I order them with the velour pads and still find them too uncomfortable. So, my question is to those of you who have tried the vegan (velour) pads......are they a more comfortable fit - softer, plushier, easier on the skull - then the standard leather pads that come with the current model. 

On a separate note, I have been wondering whether to wait for the release of their closed back model, which would be a positive attribute in my open floor plan living situation, except that model may be significantly more expensive and have a different sound signature then what I liked with the LCD2.

Some have mentioned the HD650 as a more comfortable alternative, but I am afraid that I have been spoiled already hearing the LCD2s.

thanks!

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #1,650 of 13,134
I've tried an LCD2 with the microsuede pads and didn't feel much of a difference in comfort compared to the leather. My leather pads feel pretty cushy and comfortable. If clamping pressure is the issue, that can be easily adjusted. If the size and weight are the issue, there's not much you can do. My HD650s have greater clamping pressure than my LCD2s, but the HD650’s are more comfortable for long-term listening because of the lighter weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back