Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #1,426 of 13,134
Quote:
The colour would look hideous on the LCD2's but the finish would look great.

Speaking of which, now that I know how the drivers are put together, if one had the right equipment, the LCD2's drivers are quite easy to make and reverse-engineer. Nothing like the insides of the Hifiman drivers I've seen with use of gold/silver coils.

I don't know.  Black and red look good IMO.  It would look pretty bad with LCD-3's though.

The magnets in those LCD's are pretty tough to setup, as I understand it.  But I think you're right about needing the right equipment for it.

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #1,427 of 13,134
Quote:
I don't know.  Black and red look good IMO.  It would look pretty bad with LCD-3's though.

The magnets in those LCD's are pretty tough to setup, as I understand it.  But I think you're right about needing the right equipment for it.

Me thinks I can improve the sound of LCD2's by changing the magnets for some stronger rare earth magnets. But opening it would PITA not to mention the care required without ripping the membrane. What's funny is that the 6 magnet bars are actually locked into the groove on the sides of the PCB so they don't lose there original position. 

Once I'm done with restoring my LCD2's after a stain has been chosen and applied, going to try my luck making my own diy planar magnetic drivers. Really love the simplicity Audeze made these drivers unlike the clusterfk the Hifiman drivers are.

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #1,428 of 13,134
Quote:
Me thinks I can improve the sound of LCD2's by changing the magnets for some stronger rare earth magnets. But opening it would PITA not to mention the care required without ripping the membrane. What's funny is that the 6 magnet bars are actually locked into the groove on the sides of the PCB so they don't lose there original position. 

Once I'm done with restoring my LCD2's after a stain has been chosen and applied, going to try my luck making my own diy planar magnetic drivers. Really love the simplicity Audeze made these drivers unlike the clusterfk the Hifiman drivers are.

I would assume that the magnet bars used in the LCD2 drivers are high grade neodymium magnets which are already the strongest possible non-electromagnetic magnets. Not sure what you mean by changing em into stronger magnets unless you mean larger magnets or differently shaped ones.

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #1,429 of 13,134
I really doubt Audeze used the best grade magnets obtainable and if they are said they have, it's all marketing/hype bs talk. There are stronger magnets out there, rare earth based ones that also have other natural compound elements in it's molecular structure, but these are not your so called easy attainable rare earth neodymiums especially since Audeze requires a lot of them to make each LCD headphone. Just for the comparison I've tried sticking things to the back of the magnets in my LCD2's and if they are as strong as the small bar rare earth neo's I have which can lift up to 3kg's than I would be able to pick stuff up, unfortunately this is not the case with the magnets in the LCD2's. What else is interesting with the way Audeze engineered these is that there are magnets in front to create the field for the push pull effect alongst the membrane. The LCD2's have 6 horizontal magnet bars, the LCD3's on the other hand have more, this could attribute to the slightly better sound. Back end dampening also have an affect as well. Worth a thought.

Jul 18, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #1,430 of 13,134
Quote:
I really doubt Audeze used the best grade magnets obtainable and if they are said they have, it's all marketing/hype bs talk. There are stronger magnets out there, rare earth based ones that also have other natural compound elements in it's molecular structure, but these are not your so called easy attainable rare earth neodymiums especially since Audeze requires a lot of them to make each LCD headphone. Just for the comparison I've tried sticking things to the back of the magnets in my LCD2's and if they are as strong as the small bar rare earth neo's I have which can lift up to 3kg's than I would be able to pick stuff up, unfortunately this is not the case with the magnets in the LCD2's. What else is interesting with the way Audeze engineered these is that there are magnets in front to create the field for the push pull effect alongst the membrane. The LCD2's have 6 horizontal magnet bars, the LCD3's on the other hand have more, this could attribute to the slightly better sound. Back end dampening also have an affect as well. Worth a thought.

umm btw how much would these so called "best grade magnets cost" do you know any other phones or companies that uses this or consider using such a thing?

Jul 18, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #1,431 of 13,134

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #1,432 of 13,134
Quote:

umm btw how much would these so called "best grade magnets cost" do you know any other phones or companies that uses this or consider using such a thing?

No other headphone companies use them but some of the high end push pull planar magnetic speaker companies use it and it ain't cheap.

Quote:
I think a dark red minwax stain would really set off you lcd's. Shouldn't cost a whole lot and to me the older rosewoods look the best, real dark. Just make sure you use a nice brush that's really the key.

I want a stain/dye to really show the wood grain. I will be using a clothe to apply it. Then spray on Cobat's polyutherne.

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #1,433 of 13,134
Hello.
I'm not sure if this is a good thread to ask this kind of question.
I am going to Tokyo next week and I'm trying to find some HiFi shop with LCD-2 in stock. Does anyone know if I can buy, or at least have a listen to them in there?
Thanks.

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #1,436 of 13,134
no. i can see someone preferring the LCD-2s for their slightly more forward presentation and their attack/slam/impact as well as the fact that they're not as smooth and dark, i guess more neutral is the word to use here. less colored. 

though the LCD-3 is technically still the better headphone, but it might not be the best for everyone. i do like the LCD-2s bass presentation, i'm still not sure if im gonna sell them myself.

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #1,437 of 13,134
Quote:
no. i can see someone preferring the LCD-2s for their slightly more forward presentation and their attack/slam/impact as well as the fact that they're not as smooth and dark, i guess more neutral is the word to use here. less colored. 

though the LCD-3 is technically still the better headphone, but it might not be the best for everyone. i do like the LCD-2s bass presentation, i'm still not sure if im gonna sell them myself.

I was actually very strongly considering your FS. Still am, so I need to stop lurking and rack up my post count 
tongue.gif

So how do you feel about the 3s so far?

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #1,438 of 13,134
I for one are one of those people that would not sell my rev.1's for a LCD3's. It is not even $300 better than the LCD2's so why should I waste my money on them? (not including aesthetics). Unless I was given one for free or had too much money coming out of my arse than yeah why not.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #1,439 of 13,134
Quote:
I for one are one of those people that would not sell my rev.1's for a LCD3's. It is not even $300 better than the LCD2's so why should I waste my money on them? (not including aesthetics). Unless I was given one for free or had too much money coming out of my arse than yeah why not.

I'm actually feeling similar.  Was recently debating an upgrade to the LCD3 and just couldn't justify it.

- I would still be keeping my other phones
- It would cost me in the range of $1700 used for an LCD3
- I'd get maybe $800 for my LCD2 rev 2

If I was totally decided on slimming my collection down to just 1 phone maybe I would, but I plan to keep the T1/D7000/HD800 anyway....not worth it to drop more than 2x the price to replace the lcd2's with 3's at this time.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #1,440 of 13,134
Quote:
I was actually very strongly considering your FS. Still am, so I need to stop lurking and rack up my post count 
tongue.gif

So how do you feel about the 3s so far?

i think the LCD-3's are better, but not twice as good. though they are pretty nice, its just that the LCD-2 are already very good. im really liking the LCD-3 though, smooth liquid and very transparent and detailed, in some ways they're better than HD 800, they are very natural sounding.

i'm still deciding if i'm selling them or not. if i sell, i'm gonna try and get some grado ps1000 or re-buy RS1i.
also i'm putting my Digital Link III up for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back