Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #886 of 13,140
Quote:
Headphone.com has them in stock too.
I actually bought mine from them.
Good folks.  Free Ship.  Good Return Policy

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/?mfnID=104

Second this. I've ordered a handful of headphones from them. The only thing I'll say is, if you end up returning something, they can take up to a month to get around to sending out your new headphones or refunding you.

I don't know if this is the case for a faulty product. They might do it faster then. But just saying as a side note, if you decide to use their 30 day refund no questions asked policy, prepare to have a month tied up. But other then that, I've never had a single issue with the headphones they have sent me. And to be honest, I've used their 30 day return policy twice before (I feel really bad tbh).  

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #887 of 13,140
Quote:
Yes...by tomorrow I'll be one of the  LCD2 owner...
deadhorse.gif

Good job Gustav

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #888 of 13,140
Did anyone check if Soundearphone still had the refurbished set?

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #889 of 13,140
Quote:
Soundearphones shows sold out on LCD-2.

Check headamp.com. Justin has all the options and accessories.

i have 1 pair left in bamboo, and more bamboo/rosewood are on order...should be here real soon.  i generally offer free overnight shipping on them as well.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jan 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #890 of 13,140
I am the biggest headphone cable non-believer.  It never made sense that the original mfg., with extensive R&D, couldn't make a great cable to go with $1,000 cans.    Heck they provide FR Graphs with the cans.

Until now.
2 sets of LCD2's…..  18 month old R1's  and 2 week old R2's
I owned the R1's for 2 months prior to getting the R2's

The used R1's came with a beefy round factory cord and a little dainty Q-cable.  Since the Q-cable is too short most of my listening was on the big round factory cable.  I don't think I could tell the difference.  I do like the Q-cable.

The R2's arrived with great expectations.   I was underwhelmed.  I kept listening thinking it would get better.  It didn't.  t was also thinking "Didn't the R1's sound better?"  I was ignoring it until last night.  I plugged in the R1's.   I was right.  They sounded better.  A lot better.

I couldn't put my finger on it until I swapped cables.  (This is coming from a guy that thinks cables are BS)

Both the factory R1 cable and the Q-cable made the R2 cans sound significantly better than the "new" LCD2 flat cable.  (The R1 and the Q-cable sounded about the same)   With the flat factory cable the R2's were .... lost...stale... no beauty.  blah.  I couldn't believe it.  ….. 

Still the R1's (cans) sounded better to me.  I think  the R2's need  to be broken in. .. I hope.  I have them on nonstop pink noise now.

The difference was striking to me.
I played the same 30 seconds of the Dead, Box of Rain, remastered flac.  Swapping R1 & R2 cables Back and forth.  If you know the tune the entry is very strong acoustic guitar and bass that just smacks your ears.  The R2, with the stock cable was wimpy. Just bad.
The R2 with the R1 cable a lot better but not all the way.  I couldn't hear a difference with the Q-cable either way.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Do the R2's get better after a break in period?

Thanks

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #893 of 13,140
Quote:
Zip cables are bad.  Makes you wonder why Stax cables are flat zip cables too.

No, if Stax does it, then that must mean it's the model to follow...

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #894 of 13,140
I would think a 5 conductor cable in round form might be a bit unwieldy, though people here have massive copper monstrosities they seem to have no problem with. I prefer as thin (and thus, light) as possible. The stock HD800 cable is so annoying because it weighs a ton.

9.jpg

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #895 of 13,140
I really don't care, to a point, if the cable is bulky, as long as it sounds good.

The bulkier round factory R1 cable sounds significantly better than the R2 factory flat cable.
Right now they're cooking some pink noise.  In the morning I will review the different cables.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #896 of 13,140
When I brush the cable off the arm of my chair and the cable weighs so much it yanks on the headphones, sometimes moving them out of position, it's too heavy.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #897 of 13,140
Quote:
When I brush the cable off the arm of my chair and the cable weighs so much it yanks on the headphones, sometimes moving them out of position, it's too heavy.

Don't get me wrong.   I love the Q-cable and a bunch of the others.  They are sweet.
I just don't want to spend the cash.

Further, with a set of $1000 can, I don't think I should have to buy another cable.

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #899 of 13,140
I think for Stax it's a safety thing, ie flat parallel cables carrying 1200Vpp aren't likely to touch if the sheathe tears.  Where if they are tightly bound with lots of contact points in a sheathe you can't see through... bzzzt :D

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #900 of 13,140
Quote:
I think for Stax it's a safety thing, ie flat parallel cables carrying 1200Vpp aren't likely to touch if the sheathe tears.  Where if they are tightly bound with lots of contact points in a sheathe you can't see through... bzzzt :D

That's exactly why. I tried explaining this to someone in a different thread. But apparently Stax and planar magnetics are the same exact thing. 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back