Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #13,096 of 13,134
So I own the LCD-2 and the LCD-2 Classic. Early in 2023 I sent in my LCD-2 to get refurbished by Audeze. They put the leather pads on but the left ear is rotated a bit funny and the fazor driver is literally like pressing up against your ear when you put them on.

People at a meetup noticed the same thing.

The LCD-2 Classic pads are very comfortable tho. I find myself reaching for the LCD-2 Classic more these days just because of the pads.

Has anyone put the LCD-2 Classic pads on the LCD-2? I think this is just the "leather free" option on Audeze.com?

Also 5 years ago I ordered Dekoni earpads, I think they were Elite Velor, and they were twice as thick as the original LCD-2 pads, they looked ridiculous and ruined the sound quality. Dunno if Dekoni pads are different in 2023. They have a ton of models to pick from.

Also Amazon has way too many pads for the LCD-2 to count, anyone picked a random manufacturer on Amazon and had good luck?
Have you reached out to support@audeze.com? We can send you a psa kit so you can remove and re-align your pads.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 11, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #13,097 of 13,134
Hello
the pads on my second hand LCD2 have fallen off, being completely dry. See photo. Not sure what should I do - there's a dry layer of glue that would be very hard to clean off. I don't want to get messy and get small bits into the driver.

Do I get new pads and just put them straight onto that? Or do I need to clean old glue? If so, how?

Also, these Dekoni pads are perfectly fine, only dry. Any way to get them glued back on?

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions!

Attachments

• 20231111_190906.jpg
    20231111_190906.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Nov 14, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #13,099 of 13,134
Hello
the pads on my second hand LCD2 have fallen off, being completely dry. See photo. Not sure what should I do - there's a dry layer of glue that would be very hard to clean off. I don't want to get messy and get small bits into the driver.

Do I get new pads and just put them straight onto that? Or do I need to clean old glue? If so, how?

Also, these Dekoni pads are perfectly fine, only dry. Any way to get them glued back on?

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions!
The Dekoni pads are not dry, it looks like that because the layer with the glue has peeled off the earpad. Looks exactly the same when i had to pull off my old Dekoni pads to replace them. Instead of the glue layer coming off, the pad itself gave way. :frowning2:

I doubt you'll be able to glue them back on unless you use some stronger stuff which i'm not sure would be good for the wood on the earcups.

Nov 14, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #13,100 of 13,134
The Dekoni pads are not dry, it looks like that because the layer with the glue has peeled off the earpad. Looks exactly the same when i had to pull off my old Dekoni pads to replace them. Instead of the glue layer coming off, the pad itself gave way. :frowning2:

I doubt you'll be able to glue them back on unless you use some stronger stuff which i'm not sure would be good for the wood on the earcups.

Yeah, I took a closer look and was able to remove whole layer of glue from the phones, it peeled almost clean off, to my relief. Ordered new pads :) Kind of mind-boggling way to change the pads, with glue and all, but hey-ho. Part of Audeze's charm.

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #13,102 of 13,134
I made a 3D model of the fazors, because currently available 3D model in sketchfab is far from the real fazor.

For it to be precise I need to know the height of the waveguide from the baffle to the tip. My current 3D model has it around 5.1mm. My best guess, judging from the pictures it seems to be 6.5mm. Would someone with callipers be super helpful and take that measurement? I'd appreciate it very very much.

asdf.png

1700940812985.png

waveguide.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #13,105 of 13,134
which earpads do you guys think are totl for the lcd 2?

I made a 3D model of the fazors, because currently available 3D model in sketchfab is far from the real fazor.

For it to be precise I need to know the height of the waveguide from the baffle to the tip. My current 3D model has it around 5.1mm. My best guess, judging from the pictures it seems to be 6.5mm. Would someone with callipers be super helpful and take that measurement? I'd appreciate it very very much.

asdf.png
1700940812985.png

waveguide.jpg
I could be out to lunch here,but is that pic of the fazor positioned on the outside of the ear cup facing outwards?The fazor is supposed to be positioned on the inside part of the ear cup facing your ears,almost touching them???

Nov 30, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #13,106 of 13,134
Audeze uses fazors on both sides of the driver. Anyway, made some modifications to 3D model. Even though I only used pictures as reference I think it's very close to original fazor. If someone plans to use them on LCD-2C the outside fazor needs to be sanded down in order to fit. I think the cups on 2C are shallower than on other models.

LCD2wg.jpg
IMG_1567.jpg

Had them professionally 3D printed at 0.08mm layer height. For only 25€ a much better result than I managed on my own.

As far as the sound goes. Less distortion in highs (especially claps). less bass. I wouldn't say more detailed, just that the quality of highs is improved. As far as darkness etc. I couldn't comment because I use EQ. Honestly, 60$ Razer Blackshark gaming headphones have better stock tuning than LCD-2.

Link for the 3D model: Sketchfab

Dec 2, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #13,107 of 13,134
Hey Audeze peeps, I dusted off my LCD-2f's today for a longer listen this morning. I've been listening to my HD600's exclusively for a few months now. I thought I really loved them but these LCD-2's are proving their worth. My memory of these was that they could be a bit sharp and fatiguing, but I also remember there was a time when I swore by them. I used to have a pair of LCD-3's as well but they where always hot and cold in my mind, really dependent on the genre and recording. The 2's aren't perfect with every genre either but I feel like they have a more refined stage than the LCD-3, and definitely a more fuller sound than the HD600. The HD600 does perform some magic on the right tubes and with the right music though. I always gravitate towards listening to the entire album "Humanz" by Gorillaz and the 2's have kept my attention nicely.

Comfort is not an issue with mine because I own the Aluminum ones with the newer (yet discontinued) short and stiff audeze pads. Going on 2 hours without hot spots. I'm quickly learning that circle pads win over HD600 ovals everyday. I am interested in moving on to Dekoni perf. sheepskin pads on these since I had them on the LCD-3 and loved them.

My only complaint is that the timbre of them (and planars in general) does feel like they're trying to trick me. Yes every instrument is crystal clear but its almost too good. Like I'm experiencing sound totally different from what I'm used to with dynamics. I suppose that's due to the speed of the drivers. Also the soundstage can seem shallow here when comparing to other headphones, but I think that might be what makes these LCD-2's so palpable.

Unfortunately I know my ears well and the next headphone I listen to will blow these LCD-2's out of the water, my beloved ZMF Auteur OG's. To me the timbre and sound stage is just more preferable. I always have a hard time justifying ALL my headphones after I finish a session with the Auteur's. Anyone else here experience this?

Thanks for reading!

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #13,108 of 13,134
I decided to swap the leather pads for fake leather on my LCD-2 because I find them more comfortable on my LCD-2 Classic. Check out those fazors

20231211_172231.jpg

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #13,110 of 13,134
Hi!

I am late, I know, but I wish you all a happy new year!

I have got (bought myself) a used LCD2 Prefazor for Christmas. Such a good headphone, I love it already. Though, I have questions.

The seller dropped it probably or something happened to the left ear. But don't worry, it's only cosmetic, so there is no problem with the sound. I should also include that the headphone won't come apart, the damage is not that serious. (Though, I am not happy about the damage since the seller didn't include it. Yet, I got it for $480 so I don't think it was a bad deal.)
Some painful pictures:
photo_5819109597619798560_y.jpg
photo_5819109597619798558_y.jpg
photo_5819109597619798559_y.jpg

And my true question, since the community tend to eq these headphones, could you recommend me some eq profiles? I listen to a wide variety of genres including metal, deathcore, classical, orchestra, jazz, lofi music (mostly for studying). You could include different eq-s for different genres if you can.

Thanks in advance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back