Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #12,796 of 13,140
Also there’s an advantage to the giant cups on the audezes which is comfort… weight was never an issue for me.
See for me there are a couple of issues, 1. The only real option as told by someone talked to who have owned (I think?) every Audeze is to use stock pads because the seal is very important. I much prefer non leather stuff, or need at least something perforated, I sweat like a pig with leather. 2. Said seal makes me very, VERY uncomfortable 3. since it's so important to seal well life becomes more difficult for those of us with glasses. Mine aren't thick nor thin, I bought these glasses 3 yrs before geting into headfi, and a new pair would cost me $700+ (I have a lot of difficult to correct issues). 4. The weight is too much for my neck personally, my limit is about where the Bori is, at 485g, and even these get on my nerves sometimes. 5. weight distribution was difficult for me, often times the ear pads wanted to take too much of the weight instead of the headband and my jaw ended up taking a beating, it took quite a while to find a comfy enough spot but that quickly fell off.

I had the LCD-X as a home demo for like 3 days of intensive testing and I loved them towards the end once I got used to them and nailed the EQ but these comfort issues are just too much man. Everyone is different but for me I was frustrated for a long time because I REALLY wanted a pair of Audeze, and I almost ended up deluding myself into thinking they could work for me comfort wise.

As for the looks, I agree that they don't look the most fashionable, but I've gone through about every other option I have and I feel like I can't be picky when I have my comfort and budget constraints, y'know? If I had $10k to spend I'd have probably gone for another option but my budget was about $1500.

I really, really wish I could buy a pair of LCDs, but I can't :/ The X were very nice, but it was just a bad idea as a daily driver.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #12,797 of 13,140
In my opinion as a reviewer who takes comfort as top priority, (try to disregard me being an Audeze rep... I promise I'm not trying to shill.)

You REALLY should consider getting one of the newer spring steel or carbon fiber headbands. Coming from the old Audeze headband, It'll change your life. I guarantee it.

Personally, headband comfort went from a 5 to a solid 9. IMHO.

Hopefully someone else who has experienced the old and newer headbands can chime in, and back up my claims. :D
Agreed. The old headband on my LCD-3 wasn't too bad and I usually don't have headphone fitment issues or hotspots on the top of my head. I have never had an issue with any of the Hifiman's many changes to their headbands, Grado headbands, Audeze old style, etc., but the new suspension style bands really do distribute the weight evenly and well. I went from like an 8 in comfort with the old headband to a 10 in comfort with the new style.

Despite their weight, I think my Audeze headphones are some of my most comfortable, and I think they have one of the best headband systems in the industry.

Sep 20, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #12,798 of 13,140
I think these can pretty much do every Genre except for classical.
LCD-2F + WA6SE + Metrum Flint.

Sep 20, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #12,800 of 13,140
@DW75 Yes, I have the 2021 2F rosewood.

I used to own a 2.2 pre Fazor once upon a time and then the LCD-X. I haven’t owned the 2020 version so I can not comment if it’s an improvement.

Sep 20, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #12,802 of 13,140
I am very happy with mine. They are end game for me. And I have owned HD800S and Stax SR007 mk1 once upon a time. Except for classical (large scale stuff) they will play everything else well. Audeze offer a 30 day trial period I think.

They love a bit of power (LCD-2F) and pair well with neutral and fast amps. I am using a WA6SE. I have heard the 2.2 pre Fazor with an ALO studio six and that was an amazing amp. The WA6SE is like 90% of that amp.

Sep 20, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #12,803 of 13,140
I have seen recent reviews stating that the LCD-2F 2021 actually has a wider soundstage and better midrange frequency response out of the box than the LCD-X 2021. Those same reviews also said though that the latest LCD-X has a tighter and quicker bass response than the LCD-2F 2021.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #12,804 of 13,140
I am very happy with mine. They are end game for me. And I have owned HD800S and Stax SR007 mk1 once upon a time. Except for classical (large scale stuff) they will play everything else well. Audeze offer a 30 day trial period I think.

They love a bit of power (LCD-2F) and pair well with neutral and fast amps. I am using a WA6SE. I have heard the 2.2 pre Fazor with an ALO studio six and that was an amazing amp. The WA6SE is like 90% of that amp.

How do you find the treble detail and extension on the headphone ?

Sep 20, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #12,805 of 13,140
I have seen recent reviews stating that the LCD-2F 2021 actually has a wider soundstage and better midrange frequency response out of the box than the LCD-X 2021. Those same reviews also said though that the latest LCD-X has a tighter and quicker bass response than the LCD-2F 2021.
If it does have a wider soundstage it is a small difference. The LCD-X is a tad more detailed and has better imaging. LCD-2 has more bass punch to me and this was quite noticeable. LCD-2 has better stock FR throughout the presence region. LCD-X still suffers from the Audeze dip around 4k but it is easily fixed with EQ and is not as severe as before the revision.

Again, the biggest difference one will notice is just how efficient the LCD-X is to drive. If you run it on different sources or you’re looking for something you can run off of a chord mojo, laptop, any interface, or any DAP then get the LCD-X and you can EQ all you want and likely STILL have headroom (this has been my experience).

If you have a nice amp/DAC and you want something that looks beautiful and sounds warm and rich right out of the box with ample bass weight then get the LCD-2f. You’re still getting good technical performance just with a darker colouration which you may enjoy or may contrast with other headphones in your collection. Both are interesting headphones and sound great.

I opted for the X because of the efficiency, I don’t mind doing some EQ, and also, the aluminium rings are a little more durable than the wood. Don’t get me wrong the wood looks stunning but I was always worried I’d put a scratch in the finish or damage it in some way.

Also worth noting is that if you are going for a setup that has minimal THD the LCD-X is your guy. The LCD-2 has low distortion as well but still has a few spikes higher up in the frequency range that are audible on a sine swipe. LCD-X does not.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #12,806 of 13,140
I am trying to combine metal571 mids from his eq profile on the 2021 lcd-2 fazor with the harman treble section from oratorys eq

does the right graph roughly combine the mids from the left and the treble from the middle, to be roughly the same so there wont be a noticeable difference from the mids on the left and the treble in the middle compared to my combined version on the right in your opinion?

I am working with the limits of of the monoprice amp/dac built in eq, which is one high shelf, one low shelf, and 5 peq filters since i need my eq to work with my video game consoles too and not just my pc, and there is no oratory harman rme adi version (the rme adi version from oraotry works with my monoprice eq) of the lcd-2 fazor like there is for the hd 800 s so i cant just copy it directly, and i really want to the treble from the harman target but with the mids from metal571 2021 profile as i think oratory mids are not updated for the 2021 pad update like metal571' profile is. I would just get the 2021 lcd-x as i prefer that overall and need less eq as i only eq the bass like i do on every headphone and the the mids slightly while leaveing the treble alone on that headphone but i cant afford that right now

1632159663263.png

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #12,807 of 13,140
Mikecheck95 nailed it.

2F has good extension in the HF. It’s not harsh or rolled off. Sub-bass goes deep and is balanced. Mids are clear and vocals (especially female) are fantastic. Imaging is good but the HD660S is a tad better. Soundstage is wide but not as wide as HD800S. If imaging and soundstage is your priority, I would go with the X or even the HD800S.
It’s a balanced head phone but when you listen to the X, the 2F comes across warmer and more lush. The bass will sound more loose in comparison but then again the X will sound thin and bright in comparison to the 2F. And the differences are small. There is bigger difference between the 2.2/2C vs the X. The 2F sits in the middle with the 2.2/2C being the warmest out of the three. This is why I say the 2F is the best of both worlds (2.2/2C vs X).

X will sound good straight out of a Mac/PC/Phone. The 2F sounds pretty good out of a MacBook pro but really shines with good amp and dac. Finish wise - 2F hands down. The wood has a gloss finish which is to improve it’s durability and it looks gorgeous. I do baby mine. I saw some ZMF headphones at a local store and I was quite disappointed with their overall finish especially for the price and the hype on the forums. Each to their own I guess.

Sep 20, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #12,808 of 13,140
I am trying to combine metal571 mids from his eq profile on the 2021 lcd-2 fazor with the harman treble section from oratorys eq

does the right graph roughly combine the mids from the left and the treble from the middle, to be roughly the same so there wont be a noticeable difference from the mids on the left and the treble in the middle compared to my combined version on the right in your opinion?

I am working with the limits of of the monoprice amp/dac built in eq, which is one high shelf, one low shelf, and 5 peq filters since i need my eq to work with my video game consoles too and not just my pc, and there is no oratory harman rme adi version (the rme adi version from oraotry works with my monoprice eq) of the lcd-2 fazor like there is for the hd 800 s so i cant just copy it directly, and i really want to the treble from the harman target but with the mids from metal571 2021 profile as i think oratory mids are not updated for the 2021 pad update like metal571' profile is. I would just get the 2021 lcd-x as i prefer that overall and need less eq as i only eq the bass like i do on every headphone and the the mids slightly while leaveing the treble alone on that headphone but i cant afford that right now

1632159663263.png
I need to update that preset again. But I think iirc oratory's approach to EQ is different as he prefers to do a wide boost and then add narrow cuts to it

Sep 20, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #12,809 of 13,140
I need to update that preset again. But I think iirc oratory's approach to EQ is different as he prefers to do a wide boost and then add narrow cuts to it
Thank you very much ill be looking forward to it!

while your here, if you dont mind would you say the 2021 lcd-x or focal clear mg would offer more bass punch/slam then the 2021 lcd-2 fazor i have? i love my lcd-2 but do want more slam ( i eq the bass but i dont want more bass amount all that much ,just more slam/impact) if possible overall but i dont know if that is possible and i should just be happy with what i have

would the lcx-x or focal mg even be an upgrade iyo from my 2021 lcd-2 fazor or just something that would be a side grade/different.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #12,810 of 13,140
I've only heard the X , 2C and Clear MG but I'd say sidegride. I mean technically it may be an improvement but based on what I've heard others say the X is more different from the 2F than superior. Also, Clear MG is pretty divisive. I personally did not enjoy it. I ended up going with the Bori instead of 2F because of the weight and seal importance among other things. I really hope Audeze manage to slim to the 2, X variants down in weight. I loved the sound of the X but man, it was unacceptably heavy for my neck. I ended up going with the Borealis instead but honestly the idea of how dark and sweet and LCD2F is supposed to be sounds perfect to me right now. I love my Bori but man, they can be quite intense and aggro. Both of your side/upgrades you mentioned are less laid back I'd say, more aggro. If you want that go for it. For me personally the MG had too many drawbacks which made me look at the OG Clear but I realized it had metallic timbre among other things, ergo Borealis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back