Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #12,211 of 13,134
Wow, alright, got a pre-fazor LCD-2 here which comes in beautiful Rosewood matching its (tonal) character if it had a color. Beautiful, finely textured, detailed and rather dark. Had a friend reterminate a Forza cable for them. I'm amazed how good they sound and how they probably got buried under with the thousand (silent) revisions of these and the release of many other headphones that came after these got introduced. Clean bass to the bottom, wonderfully lush vocals.

First thing the transitions between bass, mids and treble are absolutely fine. No pitfalls to stumble into, no annoying peaks or highs that make me squirm or close my eyes. No femal vocal shoutiness, no etch in the treble, no overly sharp or soft attacks. The owner did not lie when he kept them over the course of owning many other revisions and other Audezes like the Classics.

Very well and delicately tuned. Still great on technicalities like cleanliness, (micro/macro) dynamics, though of course a headphone like the Verité, 800 take over in terms of speed, dynamics, detail etc. Technicalities are not everything though, it's why we can go back to "old" headphones which trade off the very latest screaming qualities with great tone and timbre.

I think this and the HE-500 are the ultimate "dreamy" headphones you can get. They do most things simply well and have proper extension for any kind of genres. They are not the best gaming or movie cans as their staging is rather small. If I had to nitpick it's the staging size. I don't care much for it for music though as long they don't give me that spooky voice effect. Haven't heard the LCD-4 properly yet, under home conditions.

All in all a wonderfully romantic headphone that you can listen to for hours and hours and not want to lay them down. They simply do so much right.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #12,212 of 13,134
Wow, alright, got a pre-fazor LCD-2 here which comes in beautiful Rosewood matching its (tonal) character if it had a color. Beautiful, finely textured, detailed and rather dark. Had a friend reterminate a Forza cable for them. I'm amazed how good they sound and how they probably got buried under with the thousand (silent) revisions of these and the release of many other headphones that came after these got introduced. Clean bass to the bottom, wonderfully lush vocals.

First thing the transitions between bass, mids and treble are absolutely fine. No pitfalls to stumble into, no annoying peaks or highs that make me squirm or close my eyes. No femal vocal shoutiness, no etch in the treble, no overly sharp or soft attacks. The owner did not lie when he kept them over the course of owning many other revisions and other Audezes like the Classics.

Very well and delicately tuned. Still great on technicalities like cleanliness, (micro/macro) dynamics, though of course a headphone like the Verité, 800 take over in terms of speed, dynamics, detail etc. Technicalities are not everything though, it's why we can go back to "old" headphones which trade off the very latest screaming qualities with great tone and timbre.

I think this and the HE-500 are the ultimate "dreamy" headphones you can get. They do most things simply well and have proper extension for any kind of genres. They are not the best gaming or movie cans as their staging is rather small. If I had to nitpick it's the staging size. I don't care much for it for music though as long they don't give me that spooky voice effect. Haven't heard the LCD-4 properly yet, under home conditions.

All in all a wonderfully romantic headphone that you can listen to for hours and hours and not want to lay them down. They simply do so much right.
Thats how they should sound!
Picture? Fr response chart?

May 24, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #12,213 of 13,134
The old models were just amazing to listen to for ours, so lush and engaging. I've got a fazor model that gets very very close but they're not all like that.

May 24, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #12,215 of 13,134
Wow, alright, got a pre-fazor LCD-2 here which comes in beautiful Rosewood matching its (tonal) character if it had a color.
Nice. Which revision did you get? Rev. 1 or 2? I eventually had to have both, lol. My mid-2011 rev. 1 with leather pads has lusher mids than my mid-2012 rev. 2 with vegan pads. But my rev. 2 has considerably more air above 10kHz, which makes them sound more balanced than my rev. 1's. There are other slight ~1dB deviations below 1kHz as shown below:

LCD-2_1.png

LCD-2_2.png

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #12,216 of 13,134
It's Revision 1. Unfortunately I got no graphs. I would love to measure it, it sounds so damn good.

May 26, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #12,218 of 13,134
Just got a ifi idsd black label, and oh man can the lcd-2 really beat your ears up with x-bass turned on, some songs I have to turn it off

That, my friend, is my daily work set-up. Well, my default set-up, anyway. With that pairing, you got an amazing all-rounder with a bit of basshead fun one switch away. Don't overlook the treble switch though! That can add a nice pop of clarity into the sound and the 2 won't ever sound sibilant or tinny.

May 26, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #12,219 of 13,134
Hi. I'm still using an old LCD-2 Rev.2 bought back in 2011. I know there's new Audezes out there but I've never felt the need to upgrade headphones. I've been using it with the V200 amp and Rega dac for a long time. But there are a lot of new equipment since back then. Can anyone point me to newer DACs that would be an upgrade; preferably with a neutral to warm sound? Thanks.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #12,220 of 13,134
Hi. I'm still using an old LCD-2 Rev.2 bought back in 2011. I know there's new Audezes out there but I've never felt the need to upgrade headphones. I've been using it with the V200 amp and Rega dac for a long time. But there are a lot of new equipment since back then. Can anyone point me to newer DACs that would be an upgrade; preferably with a neutral to warm sound? Thanks.
You forgot to Name an upgrade price range.

May 27, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #12,222 of 13,134

Schiit Bifrost 2

May 27, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #12,223 of 13,134
$1K to 2K. My Rega was $800 so something better than that.
Hmm in that pricerange there are a few from the last decade that came to mind.
I don't know the Rega DAC to comment on the "upgrade" part. However all the listed ones perform great in this price range.

Schiit Bifrost 2 800$
Schiit Gungnir Multibit 1300$
Schiit Yggdrasil GS 1600$
Holo Spring 2 Level 1 1650$
Denafrips Ares 2 sub 1k$

All of those are R2R DACs with that analog warmish sound.
The Yggdrasil is extremely neutral for an R2R.

Hope this helps

May 27, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #12,225 of 13,134
Benchmark dac all the way baby.

Isn't the benchmark DAC an ESS Sabre Implementation and therefore rather neutral to bright in tonality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back