Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #10,713 of 13,140

I can't imagine we're talking about the same thing. How would you explain it?

Perhaps "veiled" isn't the right adjective in the head-fi sense, but what I mean by veiled is that in comparison to the Koss ESP-950 electrostatics, the treble and midrange detail is somewhat muffled, not as clear... as if someone has dropped a "veil" or curtain between me and the music. Reduced clarity, comparatively speaking.

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #10,714 of 13,140
Yeah. To me they're dark/warm compared to the ether open which was too bright. It's all relative. I also had a grado rs1 which was bright too. Sold all three

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #10,715 of 13,140
Can someone enlighten me on the aluminium version of the LCD-2 please? Was it a limited edition? Is it current? Are there sonic differences to the wood version?
What would the benefit be over shedua?

I think I've answered my own question. No problem

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #10,716 of 13,140

Perhaps "veiled" isn't the right adjective in the head-fi sense, but what I mean by veiled is that in comparison to the Koss ESP-950 electrostatics, the treble and midrange detail is somewhat muffled, not as clear... as if someone has dropped a "veil" or curtain between me and the music. Reduced clarity, comparatively speaking.

Yeah. To me they're dark/warm compared to the ether open which was too bright. It's all relative. I also had a grado rs1 which was bright too. Sold all three

Yup, electrostat/TOTL imaging/detail retrieval to be found from a lo-/mid-fi can, not really going to happen.

@heavyharmonies just to re-iterate my concern, if you found the 400i to be "veiled", I can only imagine how the LCD-2 sounds like, hence, eager to hear your impressions! Otherwise a lovely complementary piece for the 950.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #10,718 of 13,140
Quote:

How differently do we hear stuff, and I guess it depends on your reference points as well.
Probably never heard the 400i described as veiled, or dark before.
Shure there might be some issues related to the transparency, congestion, but at its price point, and compared to other cans. I'd err the 400i on the side of brighter, thinner and mid-forward than neutral. Due to the treble energy/transients/impulse response, I wouldn't even call them particularly warm!
Oh well, better to leave the impressions on the appropriate threads.

Maybe it's in comparison to my main can at the time which was the ether open 1.1 which to me was bright and bad rough treble. I kind of liked the 400i just not enough to keep.

​After reading the above exchange I am amazed at how different we all hear, to me the HE400i is about as bright or brighter than some high end Grado, the Ether and Ether C is where I thought the notion of veiled (more of a muffled signature) came from and the LCD-2 with all of its revisions can either be warmer than a HD650 to brighter than a HE400i, that's a pretty wild range.

@heavyharmonies, while I haven't heard the Koss 950 I have a SR009 and SRD-34 and have heard the SR007, SRL700 and SR307/507, I would never call the HE400i veiled compared to my 2 Stax headphones, but they can be thin, bright, harsh and grainy to me at times while the 3 different revisions of the LCD-2 that I've heard are not as thin, bright, harsh or grainy as the HE400i so I'm looking to see what you think of the LCD-2 when you get to hear them.

@uhhmike, I use either the headphone output of my UD-301 or Project Ember with my HE400i (mine are the original back plate version, SMC connectors)

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #10,719 of 13,140

Sometimes midrange suck-out or a "V" shaped FR is described as "veiled". I haven't listened to the 400, but the HE-500 had noticeable midrange suck-out.

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #10,720 of 13,140
Sometimes midrange suck-out or a "V" shaped FR is described as "veiled". I haven't listened to the 400, but the HE-500 had noticeable midrange suck-out.

It seems the new lcd2 fazor 2016 doesn't match with a Silver cable.
The voice is a little bit grainy.
Will try later with the stock cable.
If i could also swap the stocks pads to vegan pads.

Regards

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #10,721 of 13,140

Regards

What silver cable are you using? I was actually thinking of building a cable out of SPC (from Toxic Cables). If it indeed is grainy, that will save me a bit of money and I will instead build one out of UPOCC copper instead.

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #10,723 of 13,140
IMO you should go with copper Litz or hybrid cable. But definitely not pure Silver.
The Silver Widow and Silver Poison have some % of gold to not sound to bright like pure silver.

You will save money if you go with the Toxic black Widow.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #10,725 of 13,140

Regards

2016 Fazors sounded grainy and some high frequencies were fatiguing to me as well. A little bit of EQ'ing fixed the problem, they are extremely smooth and pleasant right now:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back