Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #10,458 of 13,134
The only cable maker I know of in Europe is Toxic cables and they can easily get over 200$, but if you opt for one of the baseline silver or copper cables you are looking at 100-120£, they are a bit more expensive but highly regarded and from the UK

Forza Audioworks, Poland.
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #10,459 of 13,134
Apologies to everyone here, but I'm noticing something peculiar with my LCD-2.2F, in which the sound coming from my Calyx M headphone out is much fuller as compared to when I amp it from the Headamp Gilmore Lite V2. When amped, the sound widens out but the bass rumble is reduced significantly and so results in an overall more detailed but thinner sound. Could someone help in attempting to figure out the cause?

I can think of a couple reasons:
- Calyx M hp out results in double amping and somehow causes a weird FR curve
- lack of synergy between HP and amp
- faulty components within the amp

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #10,460 of 13,134
  Anyone can suggest a good balanced cable for the LCD-2 under 100€?
I guess there are better alternative than the audeze balanced cables or the last iteration are better than the previous that weren't great.
Thx for your suggestions.

What's wrong with the Audeze factory cables? I've had mine for a couple of years, many hours, still going strong. And it doesn't have the microphonics that some cables have, which is nice. Some people rave about the sonic difference cables make, but I've yet to measure (or see anyone else measure) any differences between well-designed cables, and it would be an understatement to say that reliably telling them apart in level matched double-blind tests is quite difficult.

I haven't said all cables sound the same, because poorly designed ones can definitely influence the sound. And maybe someone really likes the appearance, durability or length of some of the aftermarket options. Or it makes them feel better to know it was hand crafted. But the idea that different equally well designed cables can make an audible difference is an unusual claim. However, high-end audio seems to accept many unusual claims.

My preference is to use that money to get more music to listen to.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #10,461 of 13,134
Apologies to everyone here, but I'm noticing something peculiar with my LCD-2.2F, in which the sound coming from my Calyx M headphone out is much fuller as compared to when I amp it from the Headamp Gilmore Lite V2. When amped, the sound widens out but the bass rumble is reduced significantly and so results in an overall more detailed but thinner sound. Could someone help in attempting to figure out the cause?

For me the second case. Bad synergy.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #10,462 of 13,134

So here they are!!! Finally joining the club (truth to be told, I only questioned spending this much money on a pair of headphones like 20 times before picking them up today, but all good).
Some first impressions:
1) I love the Shedua wood. I was never a huge fan of the bamboo and I was somewhat worried about getting this wood variation since there are not all that many pictures of it around, but I was really surprised. Looks absolutely phenomenal (MAYBE not as nice as the zebra wood, but nonetheless very very nice)
2) They are much lighter than I thought they would be (in comparison to LCD3 and LCDX, they are pretty ok).

3) They leak way more than the HD600, like WAY MORE.

I feel like it is a bit early to give any sound impressions, but I am liking what I am hearing very much. I love the lower end extension and overall they sound quite different from the HD600, mostly in a good way, but sometimes I feel like the mids are slightly lacking in comparison.
One thing I was worried about, was how are these going to handle acoustic and classical music, and I have to say I am quite impressed. The treble seems just right for me, which is a big relief for me. 
Now back to listening, more impressions coming later.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #10,463 of 13,134

So here they are!!! Finally joining the club (truth to be told, I only questioned spending this much money on a pair of headphones like 20 times before picking them up today, but all good).
Some first impressions:
1) I love the Shedua wood. I was never a huge fan of the bamboo and I was somewhat worried about getting this wood variation since there are not all that many pictures of it around, but I was really surprised. Looks absolutely phenomenal (MAYBE not as nice as the zebra wood, but nonetheless very very nice)
2) They are much lighter than I thought they would be (in comparison to LCD3 and LCDX, they are pretty ok).

3) They leak way more than the HD600, like WAY MORE.

I feel like it is a bit early to give any sound impressions, but I am liking what I am hearing very much. I love the lower end extension and overall they sound quite different from the HD600, mostly in a good way, but sometimes I feel like the mids are slightly lacking in comparison.
One thing I was worried about, was how are these going to handle acoustic and classical music, and I have to say I am quite impressed. The treble seems just right for me, which is a big relief for me. 
Now back to listening, more impressions coming later.

Congrats! I am a recent LCD-2F owner also and got Shedua as well. Also coming from HD600's. I am extremely happy with my pair so far. They sound incredible driven by a Chord Mojo. I always found the bass lacking on my HD600's and the LCD-2's gave me exactly what I was looking for in terms of increased definition and impact. I am very sensitive to treble brightness on headphones and I find the mids and highs on my LCD-2 perfect. I am a big Audeze fan so far 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #10,465 of 13,134
Well, the way I have the monitor set up changes all the time (either it is horizontal behind the macbook, or the macbook is next to it on the left as secondary tiny monitor or closed, or this) and this is macbook in the center with a 24" dell monitor on the left, which usually displays a code that I am writing or in this case, Tidal or spotify, or just a bunch of smaller windows, like Vox player, mail, todolist etc. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #10,466 of 13,134

I had a Sheer Audio HA-006+ which is a Dynalo design (clone of the Gilmore Lite). While it was a great match for the HD650, It was not very good with the LCD-2. I could never find a solid spec on what it's output power at 50ohm was but I'm guessing it's well under a half watt. It just didn't have the guts to push the LCD-2. When I upgraded to a more powerful amp, they came alive.  

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #10,467 of 13,134
I had a Sheer Audio HA-006+ which is a Dynalo design (clone of the Gilmore Lite). While it was a great match for the HD650, It was not very good with the LCD-2. I could never find a solid spec on what it's output power at 50ohm was but I'm guessing it's well under a half watt. It just didn't have the guts to push the LCD-2. When I upgraded to a more powerful amp, they came alive.  

The Calyx M is a dap so sure it will not properly amp a lcd2f.
Here is not power but synergy.

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #10,468 of 13,134
The Calyx M is a dap so sure it will not properly amp a lcd2f.
Here is not power but synergy.

I supposed as much; At least the Calyx M drives it decently enough for an acceptable sound but definitely not to its full potential. Would the Schiit Magni be able to provide enough driving power for the LCD2.2f?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back