Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #10,126 of 13,134
  @DavidA You seem to be in the minority in opinion here on most things in regards to the LCD-2. You enjoy the EL-8 better (most do not), you enjoy your HD-600/HD-650/HD-6XX more, again...most do not. I have listened to the HD-600, and found them to be nice headphones, but nothing spectacular. I'd choose the EL-8 and even the HE-400i to them. I do appreciate your view though, as it proves that there is NO perfect headphone for everyone and there is guaranteed to be people who like some over the other. Now that I'm done with my headphone searching at the moment, I'm searching for my next upgrade for my near-field listening. Trying to decide if I want to go strictly 2 channel... or keep it Multi-Channel... as I feel enveloping sound gives a better impression of live music than a strictly 2 channel setup.

Agree that there is no perfect headphone for everyone
beerchug.gif

For me its not just the sound, comfort is a big part of the enjoyment of headphone for me, if you can't use it for more than a few minutes without feeling discomfort then what's the point.  Most are just rating the sound while I also take into account the comfort in addition to pairing with a specific amp.  My LCD-2f are original Fazors, not the newer 2015 Dec revised ones so that's another reason, been debating on sending them in to get the revised drivers but there seems to be mixed impressions on if the revision is better or not.  I've heard one LCD-2f with the latest revision driver and preferred my older version a bit better in the mids while the bass on the revised one is much better.

As for the EL8, mine are from the first batch which many had mixed feeling about and there was a very wide range of impressions, I feel mine might be a golden pair since IMO it sounds better than the current 2016 version that I've heard a few times, and again comfort is better than the LCD-2 due to the lighter weight.

Sold my HD-600 since the peak at 4-5khz bothered me, but I agree that the EL8 or HE-400i is better also.  While I still have my HD-650 it get very little use once I built the Ypsilon and Nhoord driver headphones.

I've gone with just using my HT for listening to music at the moment, and like you I like the surround effect for live music as long as the recording is done well.  All my 2 channel gear is in storage but have thinking of getting some of it out if I can make some space.

Wish all a great new year

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #10,131 of 13,134
:D

in cold cold Sweden 16 years old Aberfeldy or 21 Ardbeg warms up the sound a bit, bass goes deeper and treble is so smooth ))

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #10,132 of 13,134
system theory
bifrost to Valhalla 2 to JOTUNHEIM (to add the color lacking in the jor) to lcd-2s

or bifrost to valhalla 2 to lyr 2 to lcd-2

personally Im really liking the coloring the valhalla 2 gives the lcd-2 but I want the better soundstage of the lower ohm balanced jor
however I would want color over soundstage if I was forced to choose

does anyone think having the valhalla buffer for the job would add color or would the jor strip the color anyway

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #10,133 of 13,134
People who have the lcd2 and the hd600.

Would you guys say the lcd2 are a upgrade from the hd600?

I upgraded from the hd650s. I'm not going back. The music just has so much more presence, it has so much more clarity and better imaging, it really feels like the little noises happening in the background of the music are happening around you, which was only something that you'd get every once and a while when you were on the sennheisers. They're amazing headphones, yes they're a hell of a lot better than the 600s.

Everything just sounds punchier and crisper, like when I turned on SATAN WORSHIPING DOOM by BONGRIPPER, I noticed immediately that it had more impact. I also have been listening to a lot of classical, that's mostly what I listen to now a days. 

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #10,137 of 13,134
Jan 2, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #10,138 of 13,134
DH Labs Silversonic
BTG Audio
Redco Audio - for inexpensive "non" boutique cables.
Cardas - 4 wire x 24 AWG (cheapest place I've found for this yet).

Don't forget your 1/8" Paracord for sleeving... You'll make dandy cables with that!

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #10,139 of 13,134
Is that $11.95 per foot for Cardas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back