Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #9,931 of 13,134
I do like their wire. It is nice and soft. I have not tried Double Helix stuff, but Toxic wires are less expensive and still high quality. I was going to try Cardas..but that is kind of spendy for OCC stuff.

I built an IEM cable using some off-brand SPC Litz from Toxic's site. It's great, and rather inexpensive, as these things go.

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #9,932 of 13,134
speaking of cables, anyone know of a not-insanely-expensive-for-a-wire balanced cable? i've heard zmf has a $59.99 offering but i don't see it on there website, might shoot them an email...

Originally Posted by rs0cal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Once I switched to the deckard, it fulfilled what was missing from the O2, I get more air and the instrument separation is a big WOW factor compared to with the O2 (where the music felt mushed together). 

this is the exact problem i'm having atm with my modi/magni stack, good to know that upgrading might fix the problem. it's difficult at times to really hear anything besides (****ty metaphor incoming) an avalanche of musical notes and instruments with no real organization or ability to discern them separately; hopefully a jotunheim will help with that. seeing all of these reviews praising imaging and detail and all of that stuff has concerned me forever, compared to my experience 

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #9,933 of 13,134
@parttimelovah and others, have the feeling that you are getting a bit of mushy sound from your LCD2s?

I'm sure most of you have had your LCD2s for a while, but one thing I find, is that the connectors on the yoke rods can get loose. Just tonight, I decided to tighten mine up again, and adjust the yokes so that the drivers were more perpendicular on my head, and more centered to my ears. 

Massive difference. Everything is brought together, separation and imaging improve. A little bit tighter on the head - and I've always put up with their snug-yet-somewhat-uncomfortable fit. Despite their large drivers, positioning is so important with these and can make the difference between cohesive sound, and something that is sort of hazy. I wonder how often we experience these headphones without the best fit. Something to try. 

It could be your amp, but in my opinion, the LCD2 aren't difficult to drive. The O2 for instance, has plenty of voltage, as well as more than enough current for low impedance headphones such as the LCD2.

Back to work (and music listening), my pair of early rev 1s are sounding absolutely sublime tonight. 

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #9,934 of 13,134
  @parttimelovah and others, have the feeling that you are getting a bit of mushy sound from your LCD2s?

I'm sure most of you have had your LCD2s for a while, but one thing I find, is that the connectors on the yoke rods can get loose. Just tonight, I decided to tighten mine up again, and adjust the yokes so that the drivers were more perpendicular on my head, and more centered to my ears. 

Massive difference. Everything is brought together, separation and imaging improve. A little bit tighter on the head - and I've always put up with their snug-yet-somewhat-uncomfortable fit. Despite their large drivers, positioning is so important with these and can make the difference between cohesive sound, and something that is sort of hazy. I wonder how often we experience these headphones without the best fit. Something to try. 

It could be your amp, but in my opinion, the LCD2 aren't difficult to drive. The O2 for instance, has plenty of voltage, as well as more than enough current for low impedance headphones such as the LCD2.

Back to work (and music listening), my pair of early rev 1s are sounding absolutely sublime tonight. 

this may be an issue as well, will give it a shot right now

Dec 11, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #9,935 of 13,134
If you didn't get a notice of the b-stock sale then you can't just get to the site, I just tried to search on the Audeze site.

all b-stock is newest version of Fazor, from Dec 2015

As for black aluminum I've never seen one, maybe someone else can say if they are available.

I was never on their mailing list, so I never got an email. I stumbled upon it just by googling "black Friday audeze 2016." I found the bstock page on Google even before I stumbled across it here or anywhere else and successfully purchased a pair. The sale is over now however

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #9,936 of 13,134
Disclaimer: I'm a speaker guy, not a headphone guy. I have heard and owned many speakers and components but not much in the headphone world. The LCD2 is my first "audiophile" headphone. I am not trying to sound elitist or offend anyone who own these headphones.

The more I listen to these LCD2, the more I believe that the sound quality is NOT worth $1k. The "feel", quality of materials and build quality most definitely feel like an expensive product. But the sound is just okay. The mids are somewhat veiled. Highs sound sparkly at times and rolled off other times. Bass is clean but doesn't hit hard unless I turn the volume way up beyond what is comfortable for me. Headphones should cost less than speakers for the same sound quality. For $1k retail price of the LCD2, there are speakers that convey sound with much more realism, resolution, and clarity.

Maybe these just aren't for me or I'm asking too much from a headphone versus the fidelity I was used to on my stereo setup. Ive tried to ask around on various forums for a headphone recommendation based on my stereo speaker preferences but it's hard to find a group of people who are into both headphones and high end stereos. Is there a headphone that actually measures flat(+-3dB 40-20khz) in real world testing? The measurements on the LCD2 actually look pretty terrible, but I'm not sure if that's common for headphones.

Out of curiosity, does anyone here dabble in the audio hobby outside of headphones? If so, what speakers do you own and how would you compare them to the LCD2? Is there a general guideline on how much to spend on a headphone setup to match the sound quality of a stereo? For example would a $2,000(inclusive of amp,pre,dac) headphone setup be comparable to a $10,000 stereo?

This is probably a long shot, but to be specific, I'm looking to replicate the sound of RAAL tweeters(or any decent true ribbon tweeter), Accuton/Seas Excel level mid drivers in a headphone. For me, speakers (like Salk or Joseph) utilizing those drivers sound true to life, as if the performers are in the room playing live without amplification.

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #9,937 of 13,134
@bassaddicted, I still have my speakers gear but most is currently in storage due to GF living with me.

Rauna TYR speakers that I have use Seas drivers but no ribbon tweeter, very nice sound comparable to a HD-600 driven with a decent OTL amp: about $750 to $1200 depending on the amp you go with,

Magnepan 1.6 with a sub would be close to HD-800 driven with a mid to high end tube amp with sonar works plug in: $1700 to $3000 range

KEF 103.3 Reference w/ cube would be like a HD-650 with a decent OTL amp: $750 to $1200

Add a decent DAC: $250-1500 and some software to add corsstalk to give a better representation of speakers

Check my profile if you want to see the rest of the speaker gear.

Dec 11, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #9,938 of 13,134
Disclaimer: I'm a speaker guy, not a headphone guy. I have heard and owned many speakers and components but not much in the headphone world. The LCD2 is my first "audiophile" headphone. I am not trying to sound elitist or offend anyone who own these headphones.

The more I listen to these LCD2, the more I believe that the sound quality is NOT worth $1k. The "feel", quality of materials and build quality most definitely feel like an expensive product. But the sound is just okay. The mids are somewhat veiled. Highs sound sparkly at times and rolled off other times. Bass is clean but doesn't hit hard unless I turn the volume way up beyond what is comfortable for me. Headphones should cost less than speakers for the same sound quality. For $1k retail price of the LCD2, there are speakers that convey sound with much more realism, resolution, and clarity.

Maybe these just aren't for me or I'm asking too much from a headphone versus the fidelity I was used to on my stereo setup. Ive tried to ask around on various forums for a headphone recommendation based on my stereo speaker preferences but it's hard to find a group of people who are into both headphones and high end stereos. Is there a headphone that actually measures flat(+-3dB 40-20khz) in real world testing? The measurements on the LCD2 actually look pretty terrible, but I'm not sure if that's common for headphones.

Out of curiosity, does anyone here dabble in the audio hobby outside of headphones? If so, what speakers do you own and how would you compare them to the LCD2? Is there a general guideline on how much to spend on a headphone setup to match the sound quality of a stereo? For example would a $2,000(inclusive of amp,pre,dac) headphone setup be comparable to a $10,000 stereo?

This is probably a long shot, but to be specific, I'm looking to replicate the sound of RAAL tweeters(or any decent true ribbon tweeter), Accuton/Seas Excel level mid drivers in a headphone. For me, speakers (like Salk or Joseph) utilizing those drivers sound true to life, as if the performers are in the room playing live without amplification.

Finally. Someone at the exact same point, and in the same exact predicament, as myself. I'll pm you.

Dec 11, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #9,939 of 13,134

Headphones even more than speakers can have very different sound signatures.  It may be that you just do not like the sound signature of the LCD2.

Before you write headphones off you may wish to try some other flavors...

Dec 11, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #9,940 of 13,134
It may be that you haven't found the sound you are looking for. Then again, why "replicate" the sound? Go with something that is different, to get a different flavor. If you are looking to replicate... just listen to your speakers. If your speaker setup has a headphone out, maybe listen to headphones on that gear so that your source material has the same sound signature. Since you are new to these headphones (I believe), then possibly give them more time to truly decide if you like them or not. It took me a little bit to decide that I liked my Audeze EL-8 Open. I think the biggest thing for headphone people, is that they have multiple headphones to cover different genres of music. It may not be the same for mainly speaker people.

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #9,941 of 13,134
It may be that you haven't found the sound you are looking for. Then again, why "replicate" the sound? Go with something that is different, to get a different flavor. If you are looking to replicate... just listen to your speakers. If your speaker setup has a headphone out, maybe listen to headphones on that gear so that your source material has the same sound signature. Since you are new to these headphones (I believe), then possibly give them more time to truly decide if you like them or not. It took me a little bit to decide that I liked my Audeze EL-8 Open. I think the biggest thing for headphone people, is that they have multiple headphones to cover different genres of music. It may not be the same for mainly speaker people.

I myself, am a speaker guy. I also like IEMs. One factor for myself I should mention is I'm also a musician who has played drums for 3 decades. Considering this, music to me is not just a sonic experience, but a physical one. I tend to gravitate toward dynamic drivers in IEMs, as they give me that LIVE physical motion of air, with a studio quality rendering. Naturally, I have a home theater setup the same way.

So you might ask, why just not stick with IEMs that give me a portion of that? Well, I do want somewhat of a different experience, but yet I need that experience to still be tactile and physical. Just speaking for myself to fully capture my point, I'll say this. I love, and 110% appreciate, a Bugatti Veyron. But I would find a top fuel dragster more exhilarating. So I'm basicly having fun in the hobby looking for a phone that is as physical as a jvc sz2000 and refined as an HD800. (2 phones I've never heard, only read about). Unrealistic? Maybe. Fun hunting for it? absolutely! Can't wait to amp the LCD-2 to see what it does.

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #9,942 of 13,134

Ultimately, you bought a pair of speakers, they are just strapped to your head, with all the obvious advantages and disadvantages that come with that arrangement. :wink:

I'm sure you've noticed the disadvantages at this point: primarily, for stereo recorded music, headphones do not give the proper crossfeed and spatial cues that a lot of 2-channel music was engineered for. On the other hand, modern music production is increasingly being mastered for headphone listening because - ipod generation. Only a small percentage of people are sitting in the middle of the 'sweet spot' of their high-end 2-channel (or 2.1+) rig. 

As far as sound goes, the LCD2 is not necessarily representative of all 'audiophile' headphones. The sound you are looking for might just not be represented in headphones without strapping a Subpac to your back (actually, you may want to check it out). The sound from the LCD2 is quite laid back. It is by no means the best headphone for dubstep, and more aggressive electronic sounds. However, you may start finding that it sounds very good with other types of music - listen to a wide-range of music, seek the best from many genres before you give them up. 

I love speakers, but it is not practical for me to have them around anymore. Used to have a killer car system, but the sub-woofer took up now valuable trunk space. There is no headphone out there that is going to reproduce that experience.

That said, I've always enjoyed the intimate listening that headphones can provide. I use them while I work, edit video, make music, game and walk around. The right pair of headphones, then, for me is hugely valuable. 

You also may just want to try something out. Check out @Hawaiibadboy bass threads. You may find something (perhaps Fostex TH900?) that can compliment your speaker setup when you aren't using it. Or keep the LCD2 if you find it provides you a sound that your speaker setup doesn't providing you enjoy it. 

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #9,943 of 13,134
Ultimately, you bought a pair of speakers, they are just strapped to your head, with all the obvious advantages and disadvantages that come with that arrangement. :wink:

I'm sure you've noticed the disadvantages at this point: primarily, for stereo recorded music, headphones do not give the proper crossfeed and spatial cues that a lot of 2-channel music was engineered for. On the other hand, modern music production is increasingly being mastered for headphone listening because - ipod generation. Only a small percentage of people are sitting in the middle of the 'sweet spot' of their high-end 2-channel (or 2.1+) rig. 

As far as sound goes, the LCD2 is not necessarily representative of all 'audiophile' headphones. The sound you are looking for might just not be represented in headphones without strapping a Subpac to your back (actually, you may want to check it out). The sound from the LCD2 is quite laid back. It is by no means the best headphone for dubstep, and more aggressive electronic sounds. However, you may start finding that it sounds very good with other types of music - listen to a wide-range of music, seek the best from many genres before you give them up. 

I love speakers, but it is not practical for me to have them around anymore. Used to have a killer car system, but the sub-woofer took up now valuable trunk space. There is no headphone out there that is going to reproduce that experience.

That said, I've always enjoyed the intimate listening that headphones can provide. I use them while I work, edit video, make music, game and walk around. The right pair of headphones, then, for me is hugely valuable. 

You also may just want to try something out. Check out @Hawaiibadboy
 bass threads. You may find something (perhaps Fostex TH900?) that can compliment your speaker setup when you aren't using it. Or keep the LCD2 if you find it provides you a sound that your speaker setup doesn't providing you enjoy it. 

So far, the Denon d5000, I have found, come closest to producing the physical impact and nice quality I've been after. I hope an amp can increase the LCD's presence. It's a great experience regardless. I've yet to experience most cans many here probably have vast history with, but have decades of HT and IEM use. And even though your response was directed to Bassaddicted, I really appreciate your perspective as well! As he sounds to be in the same situation as myself to a degree.

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #9,944 of 13,134
I myself, am a speaker guy. I also like IEMs. One factor for myself I should mention is I'm also a musician who has played drums for 3 decades. Considering this, music to me is not just a sonic experience, but a physical one. I tend to gravitate toward dynamic drivers in IEMs, as they give me that LIVE physical motion of air, with a studio quality rendering. Naturally, I have a home theater setup the same way.

So you might ask, why just not stick with IEMs that give me a portion of that? Well, I do want somewhat of a different experience, but yet I need that experience to still be tactile and physical. Just speaking for myself to fully capture my point, I'll say this. I love, and 110% appreciate, a Bugatti Veyron. But I would find a top fuel dragster more exhilarating. So I'm basicly having fun in the hobby looking for a phone that is as physical as a jvc sz2000 and refined as an HD800. (2 phones I've never heard, only read about). Unrealistic? Maybe. Fun hunting for it? absolutely! Can't wait to amp the LCD-2 to see what it does.

Amped, the LCD-2 can kick the low end quite decently. I enjoy my TH-X00 Purple Heart for the thumping bass they provide. You can use them out of anything, but amped they due change in the tactile department. I played games with the LCD-2 last night, and I had the volume pot at 1 o'clock or so on the dial (Schiit Vali 2), and explosions rattled my ears. Was very nice, if not a little too loud. I think at this point, I'm holding off of future headphone purchases, until I find a nice Integrated or Dac/Headphone Pre-Amp (so that I can use it in my 2.1 setup as well).

Note: I agree with someone who mentioned the Subpac, but they have one to mount to the seat (Parts-Express was running a sale on a quad pack of mini bass shakers). Slap the onto your listening chair... and headphones will have the "sub bass"/tactile feel you're looking for.

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #9,945 of 13,134
Proper amping makes all the difference with the LCD2. My 2.1s sounded good through my Sheer-Audio HA006 (a Dynalo, best with high impedance headphones like the HD650), enough volume at 12 o'clock on the dial, decent low end, all around an improvement over my previous headphones (D2000, HD650, HE400). I recently grabbed a Burson Lycan which is more suited toward providing power to low impedance headphones (1.5w @ 32ohm) and the  difference is night and day. 

The bass hits much harder and has a fluidity that I've never heard before, the highs extend a bit further than they did as well.  Every facet of these improved when they were fed the power they require. You don't need to spend a ton on a amp either, the Lycan can be had for $299 USD. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back