Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #9,901 of 13,134
I had a similar experience. Never had these demod to me in the past unfortunately so I don't know what they should sound like, but I know I'm not getting the full experience. Bass especially seems lacking unless I change EQ, but nothing like what everyone else is describing. I'm almost 99% sure it's all about the amp.. So I'm thinking either a Jotunheim or maybe something more affordable that won't lack the full sound.

Don't be to quick to blame the amp and its not always about the watts output either.  Some amps and headphones just go together better than others.  It could also be your previous headphone was bass heavy so it might seem like it lacks bass or if you are coming from a bright headphone like a Beyer or Grado the LCD-2 might seem dull.  Another thing to remember is that the sound signature of the LCD-2 has changed over time from being warm to closer to neutral.

What is mainstream pop? Isn't that what "Beats" are made for? j/k...

I actually really like this song and play it on all my gear to test out the lows. It isn't an "impactful" low, but a deep one from a guitar. I also like his voice.
https://youtu.be/Q3UNJorPbKg

​Sounds a lot better on my Nhoord driver build, a little lifeless with the LCD-2 to me.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #9,902 of 13,134
​Sounds a lot better on my Nhoord driver build, a little lifeless with the LCD-2 to me.

Dunno what that is, but I used this song to do a quick compare of my 3 cans (TH-X00 PH, LCD-2f, EL8-O-2016).  Here is my impression of just the opening sequence.

TH-X00 PH: Good bass, not deep...just more, thin on the mids and voice, guitar strings pluck nice and have the cool "twang".
EL-8O 2016: Not bad bass, clean, mids more present than the PH, Highs are a little rolled off, but still ncie.
LCD-2f: Deeper bass (less quantity than PH, but more than EL8), Mids are better than the other two, Highs are smoother than the other two, but closer to that of the EL8.. might be a little less extension on top than the EL8.

Now, take this with a grain of salt. This was just the opening sequence and I haven't given them a lot of headtime.

Using: Foobar 2k
PC > Modi2U > Vali 2 (w/E88CC tube)
Note: tube is warmer than the stock tube, which might affect the sound of the headphones as well.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #9,903 of 13,134
Thinking of picking a pair of these up in the next few days does anyone know what kind of synergy there is with the valhalla 2 and how it sounds on tubes in general

if not then could someone recommend me another headphone for about the same price

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #9,905 of 13,134
I had a similar experience. Never had these demod to me in the past unfortunately so I don't know what they should sound like, but I know I'm not getting the full experience. Bass especially seems lacking unless I change EQ, but nothing like what everyone else is describing. I'm almost 99% sure it's all about the amp.. So I'm thinking either a Jotunheim or maybe something more affordable that won't lack the full sound.

Right. With my budget, I don't think i'll be able to get a better amp for a while. So i'll just have to be happy with the EQ, which I don't mind. But i'll be testing the deckard again soon to make certain.

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #9,906 of 13,134
  Don't be to quick to blame the amp and its not always about the watts output either.  Some amps and headphones just go together better than others.  It could also be your previous headphone was bass heavy so it might seem like it lacks bass or if you are coming from a bright headphone like a Beyer or Grado the LCD-2 might seem dull.  Another thing to remember is that the sound signature of the LCD-2 has changed over time from being warm to closer to neutral.

Yeah, that's exactly what I think happened with me. I came from using only my m50x set for like 2 years. And yesterday I had been fixing a sub woofer before the package arrived. So my ears were not the most bass sensitive. After I left the LCD-2 for a few hours and came back the bass was much more noticeable and enjoyable. But I do like the increase with the EQ anyways.

However, would a better amp fix the other issue I mentioned? About the vocal sounding like they were coming from the top of my head, rather than the front like I heard with the deckard? Or does the amp not matter when it comes to that and i'm just remembering my experience wrong?

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #9,907 of 13,134
  Thinking of picking a pair of these up in the next few days does anyone know what kind of synergy there is with the valhalla 2 and how it sounds on tubes in general

if not then could someone recommend me another headphone for about the same price

The Valhalla wouldn't be a good amp for these.  You want a hybrid tube amp, or SS.  Some options for the Valhalla would be the Senns (600, 650, 700, 800).  

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #9,908 of 13,134

Quote:
  Dunno what that is, but I used this song to do a quick compare of my 3 cans (TH-X00 PH, LCD-2f, EL8-O-2016).  Here is my impression of just the opening sequence.

TH-X00 PH: Good bass, not deep...just more, thin on the mids and voice, guitar strings pluck nice and have the cool "twang".
EL-8O 2016: Not bad bass, clean, mids more present than the PH, Highs are a little rolled off, but still ncie.
LCD-2f: Deeper bass (less quantity than PH, but more than EL8), Mids are better than the other two, Highs are smoother than the other two, but closer to that of the EL8.. might be a little less extension on top than the EL8.

Now, take this with a grain of salt. This was just the opening sequence and I haven't given them a lot of headtime.

Using: Foobar 2k
PC > Modi2U > Vali 2 (w/E88CC tube)
Note: tube is warmer than the stock tube, which might affect the sound of the headphones as well.

This is a Nhoord driver build:

Yeah, that's exactly what I think happened with me. I came from using only my m50x set for like 2 years. And yesterday I had been fixing a sub woofer before the package arrived. So my ears were not the most bass sensitive. After I left the LCD-2 for a few hours and came back the bass was much more noticeable and enjoyable. But I do like the increase with the EQ anyways.

However, would a better amp fix the other issue I mentioned? About the vocal sounding like they were coming from the top of my head, rather than the front like I heard with the deckard? Or does the amp not matter when it comes to that and i'm just remembering my experience wrong?

I don't know if an amp would fix the coming from the top of your head sound but if are able to take your LCD-2 to the dealer where you heard the Deckard then it would be the best.  I don't think you are remembering your experience wrong since positional audio is quite different from just comparing bass/treble levels.  Does the headphone feel heavy on you head with a hot spot in the middle?  I can't use my LCD-2 for more than 30-45 minutes before it starts to hurt the top of my head and I have a sensation like the sound in coming from slightly above versus the sides.

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #9,909 of 13,134
Finally was able to pick my B-stock order up at UPS after receiving failed delivery notices 3 times earlier this week while I was out of town.  I received Rosewood which works fine for me since I wanted something with wood.  They look as good as new to me.  Just casual listening so far.  Definitely seem laid back/forgiving which also then means they seem less detailed at times.  

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #9,910 of 13,134
  This is a Nhoord driver build:

I don't know if an amp would fix the coming from the top of your head sound but if are able to take your LCD-2 to the dealer where you heard the Deckard then it would be the best.  I don't think you are remembering your experience wrong since positional audio is quite different from just comparing bass/treble levels.  Does the headphone feel heavy on you head with a hot spot in the middle?  I can't use my LCD-2 for more than 30-45 minutes before it starts to hurt the top of my head and I have a sensation like the sound in coming from slightly above versus the sides.

Yeah, hopefully tomorrow I have a chance to go.

Yeah the headphones are much heavier than I anticipated. Luckily I got a Lohb strap from a redditor since he had an extra. And received it a few days before I got the headphones. The strap does wonders for comfort. However, your neck will still need stretching after a long session with these. I may need some extended yokes too, but for now the strap has already made the hotspot disappear. The headphones now feel like there's more gravity pulling down on my head rather than a brick sitting on top. I highly recommend it. I'll probably get a second one soon as a back up.

I do feel a lot of the sound is coming from above me. Especially vocals. It's an odd feeling i've never heard before and I wonder why because I don't remember feeling that with the other LCD-2 and the LCD-3 I tried at the stores. Maybe it's the 2016 drivers?

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #9,911 of 13,134
Just received a mass email from Audeze stating that they sold out of the LCD2 within hours and that they can only send out the Aluminum ones. Or you can cough up another 5 bills for the LCD-X. Refund is the last option of course. Funny thing is I already received my pair of Aluminum, but still received an email and was tempted to call and try to get the LCDX. I think they are A stock. No bstock labelling on my pair at all. They look brand new

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #9,912 of 13,134
I did not see a b-stock sticker anywhere in the package or the headphones?

Just received a mass email from Audeze stating that they sold out of the LCD2 within hours and that they can only send out the Aluminum ones. Or you can cough up another 5 bills for the LCD-X. Refund is the last option of course. Funny thing is I already received my pair of Aluminum, but still received an email and was tempted to call and try to get the LCDX. I think they are A stock. No bstock labelling on my pair at all. They look brand new

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #9,913 of 13,134
LCD-2 Aluminums (my preference for durability, 1445XX) arrived today, along with parts for a DIY HE-adapter. The LCDs sound lovely through my Miniwatt N3-clone valve speaker amp and IMO are more synergistic with that amp than with my Magni 2 Uber. Midrange has never sounded so lush!

Dec 9, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #9,914 of 13,134
All this talk of new LCD2s for everyone got me itching. I've had and loved my 2.1 for a while but I just pulled the trigger on a pair of 2.2s to compare them against. I'll end up selling one of them after figuring out which one I prefer. 

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #9,915 of 13,134
Okay, so I'm a longtime lurker here but here are my thoughts/experience for anyone interested.

I ordered the phones on the 28th and didn't get an update until I called in earlier this week (I actually told them I preferred the aluminum in hopes to get them sooner - wood would have been nice, but honestly I'd rather have had the cans sooner).  I would recommend people call and see what the status of their order is.  I received my order today (Friday the 9th) after calling in on Tuesday.

The headphones:
I own Alpha Primes, Senn 650s and 800s (trapezoid/dupont mod) and have owned an Ether 1.0 (downgraded to HD800) so there will be comparisons to these cans.  Also have Th-X00 if anyone wants a comparions. Amps are HA-1, Mxx, and Asgard 2

The aluminum looks fine, I wish it was duller (like the LCD-X) but seems very well built.  Comfort honestly hasn't been an issue so far, I flattened out the headband and haven't had issues.

The sound is pretty good coming from these (fed through my Oppo HA-1).  Honestly, the mids aren't the best I've heard - they're really good on some tracks but there is some planar-artificial sound on other tracks, I still give the mids edge to the HD650s and Ether.  However, the mids are adequate given what I think are the real strengths of these: bass and imaging.  The bass is AWESOME, heavy and liquid - maybe the best I've heard on a well recorded track.  The imaging is great, also maybe the best I've heard (Ether is pretty good in this regard).  Clarity and resolution is impressive, not quite HD800 level, but probably tied with the Ether.  Treble is forgiving, but I don't mind that.  Soundstage is average, decent width at times but depth is so-so. These sound like an aggressive , souped up version of the HD650s with *slightly* less liquid mids.

Let me know if anyone has questions or wants a comparison to the cans I listed.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back