Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 19, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #9,241 of 13,139
  New to the thread but a long time member here.

I am getting a new set of the LCD-2 Fazor editions this Thursday and was wondering if anyone is pairing Schiit equipment with their LCD-2's?? Thinking the new Jotunheim or a Schiit Magni/Modi Uber stack. 

Or can you recommend a low cost DAC and amp that will power them. 

Thanks in advance. 

I thought the iDSD Micro was a great fit with the LCD2F. Great footprint, plenty of connectivity options and a well vetted and respected sound signature. Certainly worth considering. Cheers.

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #9,242 of 13,139
I'm now trying out my LCD-2F 2016 with my ODAC+O2 from PC as well as from Shozy Alien Directly. I seem to like the sound from my Alien much more than the Objective combo, the latter sounding a bit too dry and less engaging than the former. I absolutely love the Alien+LCD-2 pairing. 

Interestingly enough, if I use the Fiio E12 amp with the alien, I loose quite a bit of detail and charm. I guess the Alien requires a better amp to not be bottlenecked. 

Oct 20, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #9,243 of 13,139
thanks for the amp recommendations guys

Got my LCD-2's in Shedua yesterday. Running them out of a Marantz SA-8003 SACD player headphone out and so far they are incredible. 
I know these are known for bass but the mids impress me the most. Just very clean, clear and lush with male vocals so far. Listening to Opeth's Damnation and Anathema's A Natural Disaster. Cannot wait to try some Natalie Merchant and Norah Jones this weekend.
These are very non-fatiguing to my ears. The treble seems just right to me. Soundstage could be wider but I knew that coming in. They also seem easy to drive and will probably go with something from Schitt to drive them soon.

Don't know which cables you recommend but went with the Q Cables French Silk as they seem to be well liked on the forums. Was looking at the Toxix and Forza cables as well.

Is Audeze still having quality control issues with the diaphragm blowing out or the wood cracking? The manual states that there is no need to apply anything to the wood surrounds.

Thanks for all the help.

great set of headphones though.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #9,244 of 13,139
@darkninja67, yes the mids are pretty sweet. I believe the new driver and fazor have been used to improve on driver failure and as I understand things driver reliability is significantly improved. Not sure about the wood mind you. I see you are in the Boston area, but I'm not sure how crazy your humidity swings are. Up here, winters are typically bone dry and summers are humid so I think under such swings is when the wood is more prone to splitting. I guess extreme and constant humidity might also be an issue, but that is just somewhat educated guessing. Yes, Schiit gear is great and I would think as an American for you it feels right to support American jobs. I can totally get behind that.

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #9,245 of 13,139
It was my birthday yesterday and I had some friends over for steaks on the grill and an evening outside sitting round the firepit. At one point, as we got more food and beer indoors, I invited them to see some of my audio gear.

Both of them are intimately familiar with the world of music, both playing, recording, and producing. They know what some of the best stage amps can do, and they've heard what the top speaker systems sound like. But neither of them knew anything about headphones or audiophile equipment like DACs and headphone amps.

So, running balanced out of my NFB-28, I gave them a listen.

My friend Joe, who is one of the most talented guitarists I've ever heard, put on the LCD-2.2 Fazor, and breathed in disbelief, "McCartney's bass has NEVER sounded this good. NEVER."

They wanted to know everything about Audeze and their products. :D

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #9,246 of 13,139
It was my birthday yesterday and I had some friends over for steaks on the grill and an evening outside sitting round the firepit. At one point, as we got more food and beer indoors, I invited them to see some of my audio gear.

They wanted to know everything about Audeze and their products.
biggrin.gif

Belated happy birthday! Sounds like you had a great time. Would I know any of the music your friends do? I am really kicking the tires for a 2016 LCD XC. I want a powerful, but articulate headphone with solid, well controlled bass, hopefully sub-bass capable. It is the XC or the Z1R.

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #9,247 of 13,139
Belated happy birthday! Sounds like you had a great time. Would I know any of the music your friends do? I am really kicking the tires for a 2016 LCD XC. I want a powerful, but articulate headphone with solid, well controlled bass, hopefully sub-bass capable. It is the XC or the Z1R.

No, you wouldn't know them.

One is a musician, who comes from a family of musicians, and has been around true professionals his entire life. The other has limitless experience on the technical side of things. He's worked on TV production, and setup countless big live events.

Their names would mean nothing to you, which is sad. They're two of the many talented unknowns that populate the art world.

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #9,248 of 13,139
No, you wouldn't know them.

One is a musician, who comes from a family of musicians, and has been around true professionals his entire life. The other has limitless experience on the technical side of things. He's worked on TV production, and setup countless big live events.

Their names would mean nothing to you, which is sad. They're two of the many talented unknowns that populate the art world.

My friends are not musicians but they had a pretty similar reaction when they first listened to my Lcd2.

Oct 26, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #9,249 of 13,139
I'm still looking a 2013 prefazor rosewood . I want to ask about the different in sound of year produced. I mean are there any different in sound prefazor 's 2012 and 2013 ? I ask because I read some impress about different in sound of fazor 2014, 2015 and 2016 so i wonder can it be happened with prefazor version.

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #9,251 of 13,139
I'm still looking a 2013 prefazor rosewood . I want to ask about the different in sound of year produced. I mean are there any different in sound prefazor 's 2012 and 2013 ? I ask because I read some impress about different in sound of fazor 2014, 2015 and 2016 so i wonder can it be happened with prefazor version.

I have some 2.2 rosewoods

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #9,252 of 13,139
Bought a pair off eBay and they arrived today. Paired with a Schiit Jotunheim and absolutely loving them. Previous cans are AKG K712s (keeping those too though)

pic

LCD-2s are prefect for pure listening sessions 
smily_headphones1.gif

S/N on earcup is 53211850. Anyone have an idea what year they are? 

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #9,253 of 13,139
  Bought a pair off eBay and they arrived today. Paired with a Schiit Jotunheim and absolutely loving them. Previous cans are AKG K712s (keeping those too though)

pic

smily_headphones1.gif

Contact Audeze, they should be able to tell you but my guess is 2012-2013

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #9,254 of 13,139

pic

smily_headphones1.gif

If it's a 2.2 and you love bass you are a lucky man like me :)
On the other side, you need power to make them sing.

Nov 3, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #9,255 of 13,139
  Contact Audeze, they should be able to tell you but my guess is 2012-2013

Tried the S/N check but it doesn't recognise it. Tried a few other S/N on another thread and it couldn't recognise them either. Will try emailing them though. It definitely doesn't have the Fazor elements. But it doesn't really bother me too much. Still a step up for me :)

If it's a 2.2 and you love bass you are a lucky man like me :)
On the other side, you need power to make them sing.

Ordered a balance cable to get more power out of them. Happy with the Jotunheim though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back