Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #9,226 of 13,140
  As much as the weight of the LCD-2 bothers me I wouldn't sell it for a HD-800, I have both but the HD-800 gets used very little since its not a very forgiving headphone and it makes poor /sub par recordings almost unlistenable to me.  The HD-800 is also a little amp picky while the LCD-2 will pair with most amps quite well.

Agree...have you ever tried Sonarworks?  ...While I won't say they are perfect....it was a night and day difference.

Bern

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #9,227 of 13,140
Quote:
  Agree...have you ever tried Sonarworks?  ...While I won't say they are perfect....it was a night and day difference.

Bern

I've never tried Sonarworks due to logistical reasons, I have one source feeding 2 DACs hooked up to 3-4 amps and usually have 3-4 headphones connected at the same time.  My listening table is a mess:

Getting messy

Really bad (and I couldn't fit all, missing are HD-600, T1, SR-009, SRD-34, and my GF's HD-650/700/K7XX)

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #9,228 of 13,140
  As much as the weight of the LCD-2 bothers me I wouldn't sell it for a HD-800, I have both but the HD-800 gets used very little since its not a very forgiving headphone and it makes poor /sub par recordings almost unlistenable to me.  The HD-800 is also a little amp picky while the LCD-2 will pair with most amps quite well.

Hey thanks for your impressions. I'm listening to my LCD2s and appreciating them. I don't think they are easily replaced. I wish I could 'rent' some HD800s just to have them for a period of time to figure out if they are for me or not. 

Anyhow, great texture from the LCD2. Seriously impressive sound, still clear but weighty. And that linear bass. :)

Trading on and off between my D2000 and the LCD2 right now.  The LCD2, is less impactful on the low-end and the highs than the D2000 and is smoother overall. Still, the D2000 actually sounds as 'big' as the LCD2, kinda scary really. Impressed with the bio-cellulose drivers and the overall design of the D2000. I could see how the D2000 would be fatiguing to some. 

But what brings me back to the LCD2 is playing some select music, especially acoustic. 

A few selections Erno Dohnányi - Chamber Music - Kocian Quartet, Beethoven String Trio / Rimsky-Korsakov - The Snow Maiden. The LCD2 brings to life these instruments, whereas on the D2000, they can sound a bit artificial, slightly compressed and start 'breaking up' a bit on the higher-ranges. Woodwinds a bit too piercing on the D2000. The room space is also more expansive on the LCD2.  Piano is also more realistic. The LCD2 was able to handle crescendo with more pomp. Vocals especially are better balanced on the LCD2. Nothing feels too sharp, everything is in balance with the LCD2. 

So in short for myself:

LCD2 - acoustic, rock, jazz, soul, disco, rare groove, choral, chamber or ensemble classical, ambient and electro-acoustic. Can handle louder listening
D2000 - electronic music, dub, psy trance, ambient, games, movies. Lower level listening.

Not that either or doesn't perform well in reverse. I'm really taken aback by the D2000s quality. I can still lose myself in the music with either, just that the LCD2 are straight-up more 'proper'. 

TL;DR - the LCD2 often put me in this pose, completely lost in the music and the meaning of all things. Worth the price of admission. :)

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #9,230 of 13,140
How much was the y-split? That's gorgeous. And the cable is very well-done. Congrats!

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #9,231 of 13,140
How much was the y-split? That's gorgeous. And the cable is very well-done. Congrats!

http://www.plussoundaudio.com/diy/parts.html

$25

Wasn't quite sure what to expect tbh, Since they dont really list much info & only have one bad image of it.

Seems to be pretty nice, I think the inner is plastic? Hard to tell really. Looks like some sort of shiny liner in it too.

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #9,232 of 13,140
Ah, ok. I like Plussound y-splits. I've bought a few of their aluminum pieces.

$25 is a bit much for a y-split, though. :)

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #9,233 of 13,140
Ah, ok. I like Plussound y-splits. I've bought a few of their aluminum pieces.

$25 is a bit much for a y-split, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

I fully agree. Unfortunately, They're pretty much the only one with a Rosewood Y split. I searched for a few hours :/

Only other option, is to have a wood worker custom make one. Which would probably cost more lol

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #9,234 of 13,140
New to the thread but a long time member here.

I am getting a new set of the LCD-2 Fazor editions this Thursday and was wondering if anyone is pairing Schiit equipment with their LCD-2's?? Thinking the new Jotunheim or a Schiit Magni/Modi Uber stack. 

Or can you recommend a low cost DAC and amp that will power them. 

Thanks in advance. 

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #9,235 of 13,140
Congrats!  I'm running my new LCD-2 with the Modi/Magni 2 combo, and it sounds just lovely.  Caveat being that I don't really have a frame of reference, so I'm starting to wonder if it can sound even better!

I did get a chance to try out the LCD-2 in the shop with a Chord Mojo, and it blew me away at the time, but it's hard to say how a one time visit compares with my now daily home setup.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #9,236 of 13,140
  Congrats!  I'm running my new LCD-2 with the Modi/Magni 2 combo, and it sounds just lovely.  Caveat being that I don't really have a frame of reference, so I'm starting to wonder if it can sound even better!

I did get a chance to try out the LCD-2 in the shop with a Chord Mojo, and it blew me away at the time, but it's hard to say how a one time visit compares with my now daily home setup.

thanks for the info mate.

Are you running the stock cables?

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #9,237 of 13,140

I am getting a new set of the LCD-2 Fazor editions this Thursday and was wondering if anyone is pairing Schiit equipment with their LCD-2's?? Thinking the new Jotunheim or a Schiit Magni/Modi Uber stack. 

Thanks in advance. 

Jotunheim looks really good.

I'm using the Bifrost Multibit (Bimby) & Asgard 2, Works pretty damn well. Plenty of volume on low gain.

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #9,239 of 13,140

Thanks in advance. 

I have both the Magni 2 Uber and the Jotunheim (just got it over the weekend). From the single ended output (1/4" jack) they sound the same to me, I'm still waiting on parts to make my XLR cable for my LCD-2 Fazors.

The Magni 2 Uber has plenty of power to drive the LCD-2s to ear bleeding levels and provide that low down deep bass. It is a very clear sound with no hiss that I can detect, like in some cheaper amps.

I mainly picked up the Jotunheim for the balanced output and the fact that I can have up 3 devices plugged in at once. It's much better and convenient than the small AV selector I was using before.

I'll be posting a for sale thread for my Magni 2 Uber in a day or 2, if anyone is interested send me a PM.

EDIT: I got my XLR parts and modified my LCD-2 stock cable. The balanced jack definitely makes a difference, it's capable of being much louder without distorting compared to the Single Ended output. Though for normal/regular use, I don't know if I really notice a difference. The LCD-2s sound great and I'm happy in the knowledge that the Jotunheim is outputting plenty of power to drive them properly.

Oct 18, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #9,240 of 13,140

Thanks in advance. 

Congratulations.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoy mine.  I initially paired my LCD2-Fs with a Schiit Asgard and thought it sounded great.  I then got a Mojo, intending it for mainly portable use but thought I'd give it a go in my main rig with the LCD2-Fs.  Well, it's hardly left this set up since.  It sounds absolutely perfect.  I think a lot of people are wary about using the Mojo in place of a full size amp because of its small size and portable intentions but, compared to the Asgard, I don't notice any lack of power - you'll not get past half way on either.  The Asgard is a great amp but unless you've got a very, very good DAC upstream of it, it won't be nearly as good as the Mojo.  And the Mojo can be used on the go of course. All IMO, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back