Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #9,212 of 13,139
I bought the carbon headband for mine (awesome weight reduction) but I'm still using the Lohb strap (also awesome, but cumbersome). Anyone able to comment on how they've liked it long term with just the carbon headband?

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #9,213 of 13,139
Just got a set of LCD 2's and all I can say is WOW.  Had read some folks found them dark, not me.  My Schiit Jotunheim really makes them sing.

Super pleased with my new addition to the can collection.

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #9,214 of 13,139
I finally picked up the LCD-2s, and am over the moon on them.  At the store I tried the HD800S, LCD-X, 2, 3 and 4, and while I would have bought the 4s if I could afford them, I liked the 2 more than any of the rest.  One of these days I'd like to try a pre-fazor version to see how much more bass they have, but there's plenty to go around on my set.

I also picked up the Schiit Modi2/Magni2, and am enjoying the combo, although I may end up getting a more beefy amp further down the line.  

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #9,215 of 13,139
  Just got a set of LCD 2's and all I can say is WOW.  Had read some folks found them dark, not me.  My Schiit Jotunheim really makes them sing.

I finally picked up the LCD-2s, and am over the moon on them.  At the store I tried the HD800S, LCD-X, 2, 3 and 4, and while I would have bought the 4s if I could afford them, I liked the 2 more than any of the rest.  One of these days I'd like to try a pre-fazor version to see how much more bass they have, but there's plenty to go around on my set.

I also picked up the Schiit Modi2/Magni2, and am enjoying the combo, although I may end up getting a more beefy amp further down the line.  

Congrats to both of you. They really are a serious set of cans, that is still very enjoyable. No doubt you'll be listening to your music collections all over again :)

Can either of you provide any comparisons versus your other headphones? Let us know your impressions :)

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #9,216 of 13,139

I'm surprised that you only got them now considering all the other great headphones you have.  Did you get the latest 2016 version or a older version?

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #9,219 of 13,139
2016 model, Date on the paper says 8-18-16

Ordered them through a buddy of mines work for $400 off :)

Excellent price!

I paid $650 for mine, used from a Head-Fi'er, and I feel so privileged to own them. They sing with such a golden, honeyed tongue.

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #9,220 of 13,139

Congrats to both of you. They really are a serious set of cans, that is still very enjoyable. No doubt you'll be listening to your music collections all over again :)

Can either of you provide any comparisons versus your other headphones? Let us know your impressions :)

Yeah totally!  

I also own the Grado 325i and Sennheiser Momentum v1, so these are a pretty big step up for me.  The Grados have a little more clarity, but are really light on bass, to a point where I was wondering if my set was somehow defective when I first purchased them(around 2009 or so).  The LCDs feel a lot warmer, and the bass is just incredible.  

As far as the Momentums, LCD has them beat in every area(which makes sense for the price!).  

The staff at my local hi-fi shop encouraged me to bring music and both my old sets to A/B.  They both felt like toys when switching back and forth with the LCDs.   

I sort of feel weird telling my coworkers/friends that I bought them, but this seems like a more appropriate place to swoon a bit.

Another thing I'm finding is how little I need to EQ anything on these.  My Equalizer APO presets for the LCD are much flatter than my other sets, and sometimes I just turn it off altogether because the natural sound of these things are so delightful and I feel like I'm just messing it up.   

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #9,221 of 13,139
  I'm surprised that you only got them now considering all the other great headphones you have.  Did you get the latest 2016 version or a older version?

Picked the 2016 LCD-2F from a fellow Head-fier at really great price.  I had gotten a number of different impression about the older versions being darker in tonality.  Generally not a fan of dark cans so I was a little reluctant to pull the trigger on the older versions

When I saw these and thought at the price I paid I could flip them if they were not for me.  But I like the sound signature, so I think they are keepers...

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #9,222 of 13,139

Picked the 2016 LCD-2F from a fellow Head-fier at really great price.  I had gotten a number of different impression about the older versions being darker in tonality.  Generally not a fan of dark cans so I was a little reluctant to pull the trigger on the older versions

When I saw these and thought at the price I paid I could flip them if they were not for me.  But I like the sound signature, so I think they are keepers...

Congrats :D I still find a new deal on head-fi sale forum because the deal that i'm interested in before was broken. How much cost did you buy the 2016 2F from used ?

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #9,223 of 13,139

Yeah totally!  

I also own the Grado 325i and Sennheiser Momentum v1, so these are a pretty big step up for me.  The Grados have a little more clarity, but are really light on bass, to a point where I was wondering if my set was somehow defective when I first purchased them(around 2009 or so).  The LCDs feel a lot warmer, and the bass is just incredible.  

As far as the Momentums, LCD has them beat in every area(which makes sense for the price!).  

The staff at my local hi-fi shop encouraged me to bring music and both my old sets to A/B.  They both felt like toys when switching back and forth with the LCDs.   

I sort of feel weird telling my coworkers/friends that I bought them, but this seems like a more appropriate place to swoon a bit.

Another thing I'm finding is how little I need to EQ anything on these.  My Equalizer APO presets for the LCD are much flatter than my other sets, and sometimes I just turn it off altogether because the natural sound of these things are so delightful and I feel like I'm just messing it up.   

Great to hear David. I haven't heard the 325i's but its interesting that they have more clarity. Though the LCD2 (well I'm comparing my older 2.1) have a rolled off treble presentation, I found them clearer/more transparent than any dynamic headphone I'd owned to date. I only tested by ear, but isolated certain frequencies, and found that although relatively quieter on the high end the LCD2 kept the audible information and extended further (both ends of the spectrum).

I hear you regards to the EQ. Though sometimes for electronic music I give them a bump in the low end and on the highs (I have an older LCD2 which may be darker)

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #9,224 of 13,139

Hey MWSVette, you pretty much have a head-fier dream collection of headphones. If it isn't too much trouble would be great hearing some of your impressions against your other cans - particularly the TH-X00 and the HD800. 

I love my LCD2, but lately my Denon AH-D2000 has been getting most of my listening. I think I just prefer the lifted treble and bass presentation, but also the overall fit. I've been toying with the idea of getting an HD800 but it would mean selling my LCD2 and another set, and not sure I want to do that. I have listened to the HD800 a couple times, and loved its presentation and comfort.  

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #9,225 of 13,139

Hey MWSVette, you pretty much have a head-fier dream collection of headphones. If it isn't too much trouble would be great hearing some of your impressions against your other cans - particularly the TH-X00 and the HD800. 

I love my LCD2, but lately my Denon AH-D2000 has been getting most of my listening. I think I just prefer the lifted treble and bass presentation, but also the overall fit. I've been toying with the idea of getting an HD800 but it would mean selling my LCD2 and another set, and not sure I want to do that. I have listened to the HD800 a couple times, and loved its presentation and comfort.  

As much as the weight of the LCD-2 bothers me I wouldn't sell it for a HD-800, I have both but the HD-800 gets used very little since its not a very forgiving headphone and it makes poor /sub par recordings almost unlistenable to me.  The HD-800 is also a little amp picky while the LCD-2 will pair with most amps quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back