Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #7,876 of 13,134
  I don't see LCD-2 in your rank. Why so?

missed it when I was moving stuff around
tongue.gif
, has been put on the list

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #7,877 of 13,134
Only problem is that my GF is the one sitting closer to them, she likes the inside so that I'm the one who has to get up and get more wine/beer/food :rolleyes:
This rank is by usage:
HD-700 (we have two and GF uses hers everyday while walking dog)
HD-650 (also have two of these)
HE-560 / SennGrado #1
DT-990 Premium / HE-400
SRH-1840 / TH-600 / LCD-2
SR-225e (modded) / Woody SR-60i
RS2e / HD-800 / SR-009
SRD-34 / HD-239 / MDR-1A
T1 / K7XX / HD-600 / X1 / EL8 open / SennGrado #2 & #3 / M-100
K553 / Momentum over-ear / Momentum on-ear (2) / L1 / XS (2) / MDR-7506 / ATH-M50x / HD-455

So I turn to the wife and say, "Why can't you be more like this guys GF?"...... Didn't go over so well. :veryevil:

Mar 19, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #7,879 of 13,134
I wonder why the SR009 doesn't get much use. I suppose its not the most fun headphone in the world...

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #7,881 of 13,134
Hi all, a question, LCD 2.1 or LCD 2F? for modern jazz, modern classical, electronica, indie (Radiohead, Black Keys etc), some hip hop and "world music".

I ask because A) local brick and mortar retailers do not stock LCD 2Fs B) however there is a shop that has NOS LCD2.1s which the owner said are his favourite versions. He is however selling them at prices higher than the 2Fs (approx 150$ difference for the bamboo model in wooden box) he considers them superior to the 2.2s and fazors.

the ones I listened to had leather headstrap (no visible foam) but the connection jacks on the cups aren't metal but part of the wooden cups.

I do love how they sound BUT I have no LCD 2Fs to compare them to.

so to recap:-
A) LCD 2F will save me $150 USD, but I'll have to buy them without hearing them;

B) paying more for the LCD 2.1

thx

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #7,882 of 13,134
For your genres, the more open 2F sounds more apt. Especially for classical & world.

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #7,883 of 13,134
I would also question if those are indeed LCD 2.1s. While it is very possible that he may have bought a replacement leather headband for them, it is also possible that they are early LCD 2.2s (which had wooden connectors and could be bought with leader headbands). A surefire way (according to posts on Head-Fi) is that if the serial number begins with 569, then it is a Rev 1 driver. However, even if the serial number begins with 531, it could be a Rev 1, although it is unlikely (there have been cases, but the majority of 531 headphones are Rev 2). Do you know the date the frequency response was graphed?

Also, I have LCD 2.1s. They sound great for electronic music (which is what I listen to), but I don't think they would be good with classical music. Imaging and soundstage are not their forte but they dominate when it comes to bass, impact, and speed (especially for an open headphone).

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #7,884 of 13,134
Let me tell you, I find my LCD-2.2f Rosewood (it's a 2016 version, I might have said it was a 2015 version) quiet a bit brighter than my HD 598, of course with more details and presence across the spectrum. I don't know why people call the 598 bright?! Mine is actually veiled with a splash (2011 version). I think the current LCD-2 strikes a nice balance between warmth and brightness. I really like it. Just it's a bit congested as far as soundstaging goes. 

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #7,885 of 13,134
So I turn to the wife and say, "Why can't you be more like this guys GF?"...... Didn't go over so well.
very_evil_smiley.gif

GF saw this and couldn't stop laughing, I once poured water on her when she was snoring
tongue.gif

Hd700 is not a popular headphone, how did you guys find each other?

A friend introduced us since we both love golf and asked me to help with her golf game.  As for the HD-700 most of our friends who have tired the LCD-2 and HD-700 most will go with the HD-700, its comfort makes the LCD-2 feel like dead weight on your head, its easy to drive from AVR's and has a much better sound stage for watching movies.  I think the HD-700 at its current price of < $500 is one of the best deals around.

I wonder why the SR009 doesn't get much use. I suppose its not the most fun headphone in the world...

Correct, its not the most fun headphone for me and what I listen to the most.  As good as the SR-009 is for classical and most jazz its not that great with pop, classic rock, R&B and EDM, in a way its like the HD-800, technically great but not the most musical.  Another reason is it in the bedroom since it was the only area where there was enough space for the SRM-007.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend
beerchug.gif

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #7,886 of 13,134
  I would also question if those are indeed LCD 2.1s. While it is very possible that he may have bought a replacement leather headband for them, it is also possible that they are early LCD 2.2s (which had wooden connectors and could be bought with leader headbands). A surefire way (according to posts on Head-Fi) is that if the serial number begins with 569, then it is a Rev 1 driver. However, even if the serial number begins with 531, it could be a Rev 1, although it is unlikely (there have been cases, but the majority of 531 headphones are Rev 2). Do you know the date the frequency response was graphed?

Also, I have LCD 2.1s. They sound great for electronic music (which is what I listen to), but I don't think they would be good with classical music. Imaging and soundstage are not their forte but they dominate when it comes to bass, impact, and speed (especially for an open headphone).

I believe that the LCD 2.1 refers to the model with the wooden connectors and LCD 2.2 refers to the model with the plastic angled connectors.  Note there was a significant driver change that occurred in LCD 2.1 and the LCD 2.2 was originally made with the driver contained in the LCD 2.1.  The driver was changed for the LCD 2.2F Model (which has had multiple driver changes).

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #7,887 of 13,134
Hi all, a question, LCD 2.1 or LCD 2F? for modern jazz, modern classical, electronica, indie (Radiohead, Black Keys etc), some hip hop and "world music".

I ask because A) local brick and mortar retailers do not stock LCD 2Fs B) however there is a shop that has NOS LCD2.1s which the owner said are his favourite versions. He is however selling them at prices higher than the 2Fs (approx 150$ difference for the bamboo model in wooden box) he considers them superior to the 2.2s and fazors.

the ones I listened to had leather headstrap (no visible foam) but the connection jacks on the cups aren't metal but part of the wooden cups.

I do love how they sound BUT I have no LCD 2Fs to compare them to.

so to recap:-
A) LCD 2F will save me $150 USD, but I'll have to buy them without hearing them;

B) paying more for the LCD 2.1

thx

Consider that $150 the price of audition. If you feel the sound of the LCD 2.1 suites your tastes perfectly then buy it, because the 2F is going to sound different. Not necessarily worse or better. Likely brighter, which can be a good thing with just a smidge less bass.

I find that small chamber classical music, solo piano, and certain recordings are brilliant on the LCD2. A number of people think for some reason EQ is a no-no but so long as you compensate for gain there should be no distortions and you can bring a bit of air to the LCD2 if needed.

For the music you like it is an incredible headphone. It is new old stock with warranty. Something you won't get buying a used 2.1. If it isn't going to hurt you in the wallet too much id say go for it.

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #7,888 of 13,134
thanks so much for all the input! really appreciated that.

I tried it alongside the hifiman he560, 400, the oppo pm 2 and 3 as well as Audeze's own el 8 open...

to these ears at least none of the above has the physicality that the LCD2 had. it elicited the goosebumps more than any of the above.

aside from the serial number and date, are there any other things I should pay attention to?

are there any known reliability issues with the LCD 2.1/2.2, I have only read about the cracked wooden connectors. not sure if there are any additional issues of headphones manufactured on specific dates/batches I should be aware of.

I plan to bring my chord mojo with me next week for an extended listening session, as I only had a fiio x3 with me at the time, it is quite a large investment for me, I am just a little anxious that I might have to ship it to the US to have them serviced shortly after getting them...

anyhow, thanks again for all the assistance!

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #7,889 of 13,134
thanks so much for all the input! really appreciated that.

I tried it alongside the hifiman he560, 400, the oppo pm 2 and 3 as well as Audeze's own el 8 open...

to these ears at least none of the above has the physicality that the LCD2 had. it elicited the goosebumps more than any of the above.

aside from the serial number and date, are there any other things I should pay attention to?

are there any known reliability issues with the LCD 2.1/2.2, I have only read about the cracked wooden connectors. not sure if there are any additional issues of headphones manufactured on specific dates/batches I should be aware of.

I plan to bring my chord mojo with me next week for an extended listening session, as I only had a fiio x3 with me at the time, it is quite a large investment for me, I am just a little anxious that I might have to ship it to the US to have them serviced shortly after getting them...

anyhow, thanks again for all the assistance!

Reliability for the 2 and X series are quite good.

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #7,890 of 13,134
Reliability for the 2 and X series are quite good.

I wouldn't go that far for the LCD-2s - there was a bad batch of LCD-2.1 drivers just before the Rev 2 was released. I would say around April/May of 2011. Even Audeze acknowledged this and offered to replace any headphones that were experiencing abrupt driver failure. However, this was only a small batch. For the most part, the main problem with the LCD-2 headphones was the wooden connectors, which has largely been solved now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back