Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #7,756 of 13,134
  Hey fellow LCD-2 owners, what are some of your favorite headphones to contrast with the LCD-2 in the midfi range? Kinda looking to expand my collection with some more diversity and interesting sounding headphones but I'm not sure where to start to be honest! Thinking about going to grado-land since I've always enjoyed a pair when I put them on...but I don't know if I care to spend more than like $200~ for a set. I guess I'm looking for 2 sets under $500 total. New, used, doesn't really matter to me! Just want some Audeze fan's opinions.

Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #7,757 of 13,134
  Hey fellow LCD-2 owners, what are some of your favorite headphones to contrast with the LCD-2 in the midfi range? Kinda looking to expand my collection with some more diversity and interesting sounding headphones but I'm not sure where to start to be honest! Thinking about going to grado-land since I've always enjoyed a pair when I put them on...but I don't know if I care to spend more than like $200~ for a set. I guess I'm looking for 2 sets under $500 total. New, used, doesn't really matter to me! Just want some Audeze fan's opinions.

With the three cans you've got, I think a brighter/forward sounding headphone could be nice for change
     > Senn HD 700 used for around $300-375 
     > Grados
     > Beyer DT 990 (could be too much treble)

The Q702 should be on the bright side from what I know about AKG 7xx line up. But I'v never had the chance to audition one!

My mouth is literally watering seeing that  Beyer T1 1st Gen is at $760 on Amazon!!!
I already have the T 90 (thinking about letting it go), and just got the LCD-2 (love it!). But still wanting that detail, soundstage, and smoother treble of the T1 to end this game .... for some time 
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #7,758 of 13,134
With the three cans you've got, I think a brighter/forward sounding headphone could be nice for change
     > Senn HD 700 used for around $300-375 
     > Grados
     > Beyer DT 990 (could be too much treble)

The Q702 should be on the bright side from what I know about AKG 7xx line up. But I'v never had the chance to audition one!

My mouth is literally watering seeing that  Beyer T1 1st Gen is at $760 on Amazon!!!
I already have the T 90 (thinking about letting it go), and just got the LCD-2 (love it!). But still wanting that detail, soundstage, and smoother treble of the T1 to end this game .... for some time :wink:   

ME TOO DUUDE! For real though, the T1 is so tempting right now.

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #7,759 of 13,134
I vote hd700 for some contrast. Just don't listen back to back after the lcd-2. It's not a pleasant experience. Not because the hd700 is bad, but because they are so different.

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #7,760 of 13,134
Hey guys- I'm new to this forum and hifi world in general. Previously I owned Denon ah-mm400 phones. They sounded quite nice, but not good enough for me. I tried Sonus Faber Pryma's, Nighthawk's (not fully burned in, though) and HD650's- all sounded nice, but then I tried the LCD2's and I was blown away almost from the start. Now I'm a happy owner of a pair and every minute it gets better and better. I'm running them out of a Cayin HA-3 for the time being (while waiting for LYR2 to arrive) and boy they sound so awesome.... Smile won't go off my face, how can I make it stop?! 
gs1000.gif
 I don't want to imagine what the Lyr will bring to the table... 
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately my walet is running out of money pretty quick and besides the Lyr I have to get a DAC. Can someone help me choose between Aune X1S, NuForce Icon HDP and Musical Fidelity V90-DAC? First two are amp/dac's but will be used only as DAC's connected to Lyr2. Maybe there is something better in a similar price range? What I need is a USB and optical input.
Now back to music...
Thanks!

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #7,763 of 13,134
Yeah I think there is a lot to be said about the synergy the Schiit components have with each other. The Bifrost should be a good purchase!

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #7,764 of 13,134
Hey guys- I'm new to this forum and hifi world in general. Previously I owned Denon ah-mm400 phones. They sounded quite nice, but not good enough for me. I tried Sonus Faber Pryma's, Nighthawk's (not fully burned in, though) and HD650's- all sounded nice, but then I tried the LCD2's and I was blown away almost from the start. Now I'm a happy owner of a pair and every minute it gets better and better. I'm running them out of a Cayin HA-3 for the time being (while waiting for LYR2 to arrive) and boy they sound so awesome.... Smile won't go off my face, how can I make it stop?! :gs1000smile:  I don't want to imagine what the Lyr will bring to the table... :D

Unfortunately my walet is running out of money pretty quick and besides the Lyr I have to get a DAC. Can someone help me choose between Aune X1S, NuForce Icon HDP and Musical Fidelity V90-DAC? First two are amp/dac's but will be used only as DAC's connected to Lyr2. Maybe there is something better in a similar price range? What I need is a USB and optical input.
Now back to music...
Thanks!
congrats. I REALLY love the lyr2 with the lcd2. Perfect combo to me. Definitely at least throw some orange globes in there for an easy upgrade that you don't need to research much to get.

I'm still using my modi personally, and probably won't worry about upgrading until I'm floating some extra cash and feel "why not".

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #7,765 of 13,134
So I really love my LCD 2.2f, but can't help but thinking about upgrading to the X or 3f. Unfortunately I've not been able to demo either of them. Any thought on moving up to one of these? Sound signature wise? Worth the extra cost?

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #7,766 of 13,134
  So I really love my LCD 2.2f, but can't help but thinking about upgrading to the X or 3f. Unfortunately I've not been able to demo either of them. Any thought on moving up to one of these? Sound signature wise? Worth the extra cost?

Worth the cost is relative.  The X for a more efficient phone with a punchier bass and treble, the 3 for a smoother and creamer sound.  The X for EDM and the 3 for the Stones, Zep and Eagles...

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #7,767 of 13,134

Tyll Hertsens gives a good analysis of the Audeze line here.  This would be a good starting point for you.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audeze-lcd-x-fazor-and-fresh-listen-current-lcd-2-and-lcd-3#tGG5z1TVpkZvHTso.97

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #7,768 of 13,134
I decided to get a pair of DT990s for my first contrasting headphone to the LCD-2. I think I'm going to go Grado for the second but I wanna do more research on the HD700

Mar 6, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #7,769 of 13,134
I decided to get a pair of DT990s for my first contrasting headphone to the LCD-2. I think I'm going to go Grado for the second but I wanna do more research on the HD700

Congratz!

It's $228 on massdrop, shipped on 21 Mars. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back